Training guides for beginners

How good are they ?

11 messages
02/01/2007 at 15:21

Ive just downloaded the beginners training guide from the RW website, how good are the training schedules for beginners ? i want to run a sub 4hr marathon.... is there another source of training guides that i can compare vs the RW one ???

Thanks

Sage
MB.
02/01/2007 at 15:23
Are you a complete beginner, or just new to marathons? Never used one but I think plenty of people have used them successfully.
02/01/2007 at 15:26

im new to running and mara's, i stopped playing football a year or so ago so im not as fit as i once was hence i would class myself as a beginner .....
02/01/2007 at 15:29
If you've never run before, maybe you should start training & enter shorter races before you decide on your marathon goal? That way you can get a better idea of what level you're currently at. A 4hr marathon for a total beginner is reasonably fast.
02/01/2007 at 15:33
do u mean 1/2 marathons ? also where can i get a comprehensive list of shorter runs ?

02/01/2007 at 15:38
Any shorter runs - 10 mile, 10k, 5k, 1/2 marathon etc...

You can search for ones near you here.
MB.
02/01/2007 at 15:39
Am I right in thinking you're in London (from your shoe thread)? There's a 5k time trial every saturday morning at 9am in Bushy Park. That would be a good starting point. Then look at 10k and half marathons.
4hrs is good going for a first marathon, although not impossible obviously, especially if you've got a fairly active background.
If you look in the events tab above you can search for races of various distances near to where you live.
02/01/2007 at 15:47
That's a good suggestion - building up from a 5k (like the Bushey Park ones) to a half marathon between now and FLM will definitely give you a better idea of what time to aim for.

Also - you say you're totally new to running, but all the sub 4hr schedules I've seen state that you need to be a regular runner before you start them. Why not just aim to enjoy it? You can always improve on your time in your next marathon...
02/01/2007 at 15:49
fair point MC... i like the idea of the bushey park run (and its not far from me)... cheers guys !

02/01/2007 at 15:52
sage these peops know their onions:O)
02/01/2007 at 16:13
haha the old ones are the best ! :)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.