Training on softer ground

3 messages
07/04/2011 at 15:01
I am still what I consider a beginner runner, but have up until now (lat 3 months continuously and previous 2 years on and off) been training on roads. However, for the last couple of weeks I have switched my training to a riverside run through the country side where the ground is softer and the scenery more pleasant. I have a couple of 10ks coming up in the next few months, one is a trail blazer, the other is roads. Now my question for the more seasoned runner is 'will training more on softer ground have any effect on time or fitness, negative or positive, on any road races that i participate in the future' ?
07/04/2011 at 15:44
off-road can make your legs stronger due to the softer, more uneven terrain but it won't necessarily make you quicker for a road race as you do tend to run off-road slower.

on the whole I think there are more pros than cons to off-road running (scenery, peace, no traffic etc) but sometimes you just need to pound the roads to train for road events
07/04/2011 at 18:49

I would agree.

If you are going to do a road race your legs need to be used to running on the road - you can run much faster but at the same time the impact is greater. Likewise for an off road race running on similar terrain will help. Woodland again can be very different - muddier and softer for staters.

Mix and match.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.