Transition to forefoot mid-way through training plan

3 messages
20/06/2013 at 21:55

I've been running for around three years, heel striking but gradually moving more to mid foot landing. I have been back running since start of May after three months out with stress fracture (metatarsal).

I'm up to about 16-17 miles a week (four runs per week), increasing with the aim of a 50k in October (Royal Parks Ultra).

I'm looking to transition to forefoot as, from what little I've done, it feels a lot more smooth, comfortable, natural. BUT... Given I've got a reasonably tight training plan to make 50k at the start of October, I'm reluctant to step back in my training schedule.

In your opinion, can I incorporate this into my runs, e.g. start with the first/last mile/half mile of each run, gradually increasing the proportion of the run which is forefoot? i.e. run most of the distance mid foot, initially just a small part of it forefoot.

Aany comments appreciated - thanks!

For info, running is 50/50 road and off-road (mud, grass, river path). Run in Asics 1000s and Inov8 Trailroc 255s.

20/06/2013 at 22:15
I wouldn't reccomend it. If you are sure that's what you need to do then get the 50k out the way and then start the transition as it could take 6 months. It could take you a lot less but that's not really a gamble you want to take this near to your race.
21/06/2013 at 07:07

Sounds risky. I have been running in Newtons for 4 months now and every time I increase distance or pace my calfs send me a complaint. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.