treadmill gradients

21 to 26 of 26 messages
05/02/2009 at 17:06

Treadmill, I could not manage without.  I am 66y old and suffer with quite a lot of arthritis and sore joints, I have an artificial hip which replaced the arthritic one ten years ago.  Running on the road a lot really causes quite a lot of pain, any 'efforts' on the road cause a lot of pain and or injury.  I find the best for me is to mix the treadmill work with the road or off-road. I do my long run on the road each week.  I will jog/walk with my dog for about 3m once or twice a week or when the evenings are light I will run with my club.  The remainder of my running is on the gym treadmill.  I use a minimum of 2% gradient and do a mix of intervals, tempo runs and 'hills' some of which are in the 'fell runner' style.  I do a Pilates session once or twice a week for the stretching and to help with mobility, and some core and (a little) upper body work.  I walk the dog each day and we do agility (that's the dog not me).  I find this keeps me fit enough to do a half marathon (sub 2h) or a 10K (sub 55m) each month so although very slow I get what I want from my sport and am able to enjoy running with other club members.  I am also tired most of the time except when I rest for a few days before a race when I feel great.  Older runners with similar problems might find that less road and more of the treadmill could keep them going for a few more years rather than give up.

10/02/2009 at 10:47

Cam someone explain to me why my times are quicker on the road than the treadmill.. For example I do 40 minutes on the Treadmill I do 5 miles approx, but for example if I ran a 10km race I would complete that around 40 minutes... It seems the treadmill is slower than my road speed.

is this correct ?

am I going mad ?

10/02/2009 at 15:08

No idea?

Is the treadmill calibrated correctly?

Are you slower on any treadmill or one in particular?

11/02/2009 at 08:55
I am always slower on whatever treadmil... it is uncanny. I reckon I am 30 secs slower...
30/04/2009 at 19:50
Hi all runners. I have just started to use a treadmill to start getting a little fitter and any advice about treadmill running would be great. I had double transplant last year and have had smashed kneecap 18 months so my health not too good (but getting better) I really stuggle outdoors but find it more comfortable on a tread mill. i really love my running how do i make a success switch from treadmill to outdoor running.
30/04/2009 at 22:04

I've only ever resorted to treadmill work when it was so snowy outside that I physically could not run on the roads.

I used to put it on the programme and at maximum, I'd run on a 4 - 5% gradient. I usually did a negative split and ended up running on a 1% gradient at speed. It's hilarious to watch all the other treadmill-goers go : 0 when you run really fast at the end like your life depends on it!

SO glad that I don't have to sweat it out in the gym anymore. Hooray for this lovely weather

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.