Treadmill vs outside

101 to 111 of 111 messages
12/08/2008 at 17:34

Outside rain or shine.  Do a rural route and watch the nature/seasons change. No apologies, I'm a definite tree-hugger.

Treadmills are only ever good if you absolutely can't get out - i.e pitch dark and dangerous. 

Best run = freezing cold, virgin snow, out in the countryside - what a buzz.

Roll on a proper Winter ! 

8iron    pirate
08/10/2008 at 18:22
Most find it the other way around.  this happened to a friend of mine, but his GPS was MPH and his treadmil was in KPH!!  He was shocked to find he could not sustain 10 mph on the road!!! Easy mistake to make i guess?  Well maybe not!!
22/11/2008 at 22:14

Outside all the way!

I trained from (begginer) on a treadmill until i could run 30 minutes and then i started running outside and almost died on my first run after about 10 minutes but it does get easier quickly outside.

I am easily running 5/10k on the roads now and have not touched a treadmill for weeks/months and i would not go back to one even if it was a blizzard...

24/11/2008 at 14:50

Outside is most definitely best IMO . . . one thing I look forward to at the weekends, getting out and running  rather than having to resort to the dreaded treadmill as I have to during the week

25/11/2008 at 18:29

Teadmill - shite

Outside - just right.

26/11/2008 at 00:37

Treadmills are great - simply put yer hands on the side rails and push down.......you just fly along.  I managed 45 mph the other day.  Dismounting was a wee bit of a bugger though!!

11/12/2008 at 21:41

Just in case it hasn't already been mentioned.  Studies have identified that running on a treadmill is equal to 1% downhill; therefore that could be one reason why the treadmill seems easier to get up to and maintain a good pace.

I run on a treadmill and also outdoors.  To make the treadmill session a worthwhile one, I always use the "random" program option which basically alters the gradient between every 30 seconds or after a maximum of 2 minutes.  Doing this makes the run a lot more interesting and varied.

Edited: 11/12/2008 at 21:42
12/12/2008 at 13:06

I started on a treadmill doing 10k in an hour as training for my first 10k which I went through in about 54 minutes even though it was partly off road, so I find outside a lot easier cause I was knackered after the treadmill but felt pretty good after the race, so the treadmill doesn't even give me any indication of how good I am at running outside.

Went back to the treadmill after the run and I agree with everyone who says it's boring, I just can't stand it for more than 2 or 3 minutes now so trying to do any kind of running is just impossible unless I'm outside, wind rain or snow.

Even as a math geek and all the numbers in front of me on a treadmill there's only so much I can do to entertain myself before I just get fed up.

22/04/2010 at 09:55
I must be weird as I find it much easier to run faster outside!! May have something to do with my gym is very hot due to the daft temp they set the aircon to! Stupid DW Fitness!! I sweat buckets on that darn treadmill but just find it much easier to run at a faster pace outside as you don't get bored and go through spells of faster pace on downhills etc
22/04/2010 at 09:57
True true how can you get bored with all the ladies in lyrca too!
22/04/2010 at 15:59
Treadmill was definitely 'easier' for me, but utterly boring. When I started out running, I started on the treadmill, I was 2 stone overweight and didn't feel confident running outside with all my wobbly bits  When I did my first run outside it was incredibly difficult, and I questioned whether I could keep it up! But a few weeks later I was fine and it didn't feel such a struggle. I still sometimes use the treadmill, but only to do intervals. If I really have to, I also use it during the winter when it's icy outside.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 111 of 111 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.