Treadmill vs Road

A world record... :o

21 to 30 of 30 messages
20/09/2012 at 18:14

It was speed 17, and it said mph below it, it definitely wasn't 17 kph(10.5mph) because I know what that pace feels like. Trust me im as suprised as you are when I managed to do it for 3200m, or as you say, the treadmill could of been a dodgy, but it looks in good shape.

So it was measuring speed in mph and distance in metres?
Want to be careful of that, mixing your metric and imperial, you'll be crashing your Mars lander next.

WiB
20/09/2012 at 18:23

HAHAHA... thanks for the tip, I am off to the treadmill to nail your new world record! Sorry.

Fantastic.

Edited: 20/09/2012 at 18:29
WiB
20/09/2012 at 20:12

Where is this gym? I want a go!!

20/09/2012 at 22:00
Looks like the treadmill can't handle you. You need to 'pimp your mill'.
There are some youtubes (search 23 mph treadmill) of 23mph sprints. That should give you a nice tempo run
19/03/2013 at 21:03

How did I miss this the first time round?

+1 (or +3 or whatever) for calibration.  I did a very rare tempo session on a gym treadmill recently and realised something wasn't right when I'd cranked it up to "18kph" but was jogging along with heart rate still down at 60% max.  I could've "done a Rushton", stayed on the treadmill to impress the gym bunnies for a bit, then come on here to brag about it, but I had some proper training to do, so I got on the treddy next to it and knocked out 8 miles at 16.6kph instead*.  Obviously I have no way of knowing how accurate this was, except to report that my heart rate was about the same as I would expect running at the same pace outdoors, and I was sweating like a pig in cling film.

*...and then came on here to brag about it. 

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 21:05
19/03/2013 at 21:40
"Proper training"? on a treadmill? Good one.
19/03/2013 at 21:49

Oh shiiiittt I am doing intervals on treadmill tomorrow.  I am going to look a twat aren't I when I pop on my lovely P&D thread and annouce I have ran them faster than NoPain.

19/03/2013 at 22:09
Sebastian80 wrote (see)
"Proper training"? on a treadmill?

Yes.

19/03/2013 at 22:19

I only discovered the benefits of treadmill training this winter. Brilliant for Tempo / Intervals. Don't think I will be recommending a 20m LSR though, once in a lifetime is enough.

I rely on my Garmin with footpod for data, so as yet haven't experienced the 'Rushton Effect' on the treadmill.

19/03/2013 at 22:38

You can train as much as you like on a treadmill. What most people have been saying is that it's much more interesting and varied outside. The lsr becomes a real exploration of the local area. 

Personally I also find tempo and intervals easier outside with a Garmin.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.