Treadmills Upstairs

advice on setting up treadmill

1 to 20 of 21 messages
22/11/2005 at 16:38
Hi, I'm a beginner and I have just purchased a Carl Lewis MOT25 treadmill(it seems OK but I'd like to hear any opinions on it). I live in a 4 bedroom semi-detached relatively new build which seems to have a good structure. I have the treadmill upstairs in a good size bedroom but have heard scare stories from people but have had no real concrete advice.
-Is it ok to have this upstairs?
-Does it affect the structure/beams?
-What kind of mat would you recommend to reduce noise?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
22/11/2005 at 16:47
I would expect that after some time you may get cracks in the ceiling of the room below due to the "bounce"
I have my tready in the garage (can't image having to carry it upstairs!)
22/11/2005 at 19:20
I have my tready upstairs, and it's a heavy one too (100kg). I have got it straddling, lengthways, a brick dividing wall though. If I was you I'd try and position it as close to a downstairs wall as possible, better still - on top of one. I haven't had any cracks in the ceiling and it's been there for 2 years now.
22/11/2005 at 21:08
I have mine upstairs in a 2 year old house. Not had any problems with cracks in kitchen ceiling below, but noise is a bit irratating for anyone in the room below.

I have the treadie on a non-slip mat, on carpet....heavens only knows what the thud-thud-thud would be like without it!

I'm in a detached house....so noise travelling next door is not an issue. Suspect it could be in a semi though.

How heavy is the treadmill? It was a bl**dy nightmare getting mine up the stairs.....
22/11/2005 at 21:27
Had mine upstairs for 18 months now, no problems so far.....apart from lugging it up the stairs, shall NOT be doing that again!
22/11/2005 at 22:52
Put it wherever you like................ then go outside and run in the freash air :-)
LOK
22/11/2005 at 23:22
i think we discussed the science of this on a thread somewhere

there's more pressure from a stilletto heel than there is from a treadmill, because the weight is spread widely on a treadmill

i agree vibration could be a prob though

and noise

but you get that a bit anyhow

mine's downstairs on carpet and seems ok
LOK
23/11/2005 at 09:40
Thanks for the comments, that has set my mind to rest. The thing was really heavy to get up the stairs and I nearly did myself an injury getting it shifted. That would have been a great start to the new fitness regime. So if it's Ok structurally it's really only the noise and vibrations to sort out, which means getting a good mat. Cheers again.
23/11/2005 at 13:04
random question for EP (and anyone else with treadmill in garage).

did you manage to get your home contents insurance to cover your treadmill in garage? when i phoned my insurance company, they told me they would cover it in the house, but wouldn't cover it in the garage, and there is a maximum for contents in garage which we already exceed anyway due to lots of petrol driven garden tools etc.

(not telling you where i live because now you know my treadmill is uninsured you will all come round with a big van and nick it!)

actually was worried less about someone nicking it and more about water leaks and stuff.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/11/2005 at 15:25
never asked CM - it's a cheapish one (£500) and all i have in my garage is garden tools anyway so I would be under the 1k
23/11/2005 at 21:16
how many people wearing stilletto's stand in the same place for two years ?

most of the treadmills i've seen rest on feet giving an average four contact points.
LOK
23/11/2005 at 21:31
yeh pony
but the feet are fairly wide and widely spaced

have you seen the tip of a stilletto?

LOK
23/11/2005 at 21:38
...or tried walking in stilettos? Standing still is easier :-)
LOK
23/11/2005 at 21:40
LOK
LOK
23/11/2005 at 21:41
apparently the stilletto exerts 1600 psi

so if we knew the weight of this treadmill

we could work out the psi for it too
LOK
23/11/2005 at 22:08
Yeah, but it can't weigh more than a few hundred pounds, surely. That's going to be loads less pressure than a stiletto heel.

23/11/2005 at 23:26
dont forget treadie + weight of runner.

upstairs = floorboards are we agreed

my bed on boards = 4 dents in floor to a depth of approx 4mm

I agree that this treadie appears to have a wide contact area.

anyway easy answer.. put the tradie on top
of a piece of MDF or plywood a bit bigger than the treadie...it'll spread the load and stop it marking the floor.
LOK
24/11/2005 at 10:34
and maybe a rubber treadmill mat under that to reduce vibrations
LOK
LOK
24/11/2005 at 10:35
apparently
an elephants foot only exerts about 100psi

because it has wide feet
and there are usually at least two feet on the ground when walking

whereas we have one at a time

so in theory...elly could come in to

but you wouldn't necessarily want an elephant in the house

:-)
LOK
LOK
24/11/2005 at 10:36
(especially not on the treadmill)
LOK
1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.