Triathlon topic - seeking 2nd hand bike

4 messages
19/09/2002 at 12:32
Hi All,

I know I haven't posted for AGES but I used to be here a lot (til I got a new job where the RW UK site is barred!) Anyway I am starting to get into triathlons, to the extent that I want to replace my hybrid bike with a road or even tri bike. So is anyone out there thinking of selling an unwanted bike that might be suitable? Female-specific frame might be better, although I am willing to consider anything. I am on a budget but will consider any bikes as and when I find them. I am 5' 6'' so I gather that a 52 or 54 frame would suit me. If anyone can help, mail me please on njoyce@iir-conferences.com

I'm also looking for a wetsuit if anyone has one they no longer want!

Thanks in advance, Nicola
19/09/2002 at 12:46
Nicola, you could try checking cycling weekly magazine as they have quite a large section on second hand bikes.

I would also question your frame size choice. Depending on your inside leg measurement a 50cm frame may be more suitable.
20/09/2002 at 12:20
Thanks! Will do.
20/09/2002 at 16:19
I did the same thing at the beginning of the year - now is a good time to be looking at the second hand tri market as the season is just finishing. You might be able to get a second hand ex-rental wetsuit from places like Sigma Sports, Tri and Run, etc who do rental. Most have websites.

On the bike front I searched on triathlon sites, but in the end, I bought a 2001 model Trek road bike. They tend to take a few hundred pounds off the price when the new season's bikes come in. I have a road geometry bike as it is cheaper and I use it for commuting as well. A good place to start on the triathlon front is: http://www.triathletes-uk.org/
They have a classifieds section also (where I got my wetsuit). It is well worth having your measurements taken for the bike so that you know you are getting the right thing. A good/specific bike shop should do this for about £30.

Good luck - its well worth it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.