TVXC Thread

Thames Valley Cross Countryu League

201 to 220 of 248 messages
23/01/2011 at 22:05

Don't know if I'm ready to push for the 30s yet, be happy with a couple more 40s to end the series just before Wokingham. Be more ready for it next year, I'll work on the distance this year - 10ks are my favourite race distance anyways..

8th is a nice way to end your TVXC season I must say!

23/01/2011 at 22:39

Enjoyed todays race.  Although seriously hung over from the Dashers Christmas Do on Friday, meant that I was close to vomitting at the start and the finish!

Full team turn out from our club, so hope to retain our 5th position.

Sadly, it was my last XC of the season too.

24/01/2011 at 15:14
Sounds like it all went well and some good results folks, well done. M – you were still hungover from Friday come Sunday morning. Wow, I didn’t realise it went on that late in to the night, good effort!!. I took my trophies home to bed reasonably early as I ran the Asics IceMan race on Saturday morning.

A friend of mine at work won some places and asked me to run with him so I did. The race reminded me a lot of the Finch XC, the only prob was that it 7.5 miles rather than 5.5. I was 19th from 350ish so the field wasn’t that strong. Having done that I couldn't face another day in the country and like many I need a few pre-HM miles under the belt.

I might turn out at one of the last 2 now that I know SG won’t be there! Sprint – what’s the target at Wokee? I ran such a poor race there last year, at one point even managing to drop the contents of my pocket on the floor! Hoping for something better this time.....
24/01/2011 at 15:35

Nice one Wool! And eys you'll be guaranteed one place higher at the last 2!

Looking to beat the 1:19:21 pb at Wokingham. Hopefully will be in the mixer, as did a 1:19:43 at Gosport in a coldy affected week.

Looking at yesterday's results...the guy in 9th was 52behind...i knew i had a little bit of scope, but not that much! Saved me a lung burster on the run in!

24/01/2011 at 21:40
Going for a sub 1.30 at Wokingham, but want to be realistic and if I come in with anything below 1.35 I will be happy, want a couple of good performances to finish off my first TVXC season...

Great work on the 19th place... Great run

That sandy climb really took it away from me for a k or so - need to work on my starts...
IronCat5    pirate
24/01/2011 at 23:22

I obviously need to HTFU as I'm aiming for less than 1:50, and will probably be sadly disappointed.

That said, I've come in leaps and bounds since joining the Finch Coasters, and at Wokingham will have been running for 1 year and 1 month. I'm alos beginning to think I should have covered the distance more than once before the day itself.

25/01/2011 at 22:20

Good luck at Wokee chaps. I'm on the Hal Higdon HM plan with Reading as my target race. I'm finding the plan quite tough but I hope for a confidence booster at Wokee along the way. As usual, Wokee is a Dashers club champs event so there will be loads of us there.

Chris - not sure you absolutely need to have covered the distance prior to the race but it might help the confidence to know you can do it.

SG - I have to ask. Where does your moniker come from? I read some of your posts on another thread (your training plan, impressive) and it seems like you're a United fan. I don't get it!

25/01/2011 at 22:31

Haha, but unfortunate really Wool. I joined in about 2004, and old Steven Gerrard was around, but not a big name, and not as well known as  Stevie G. The G is my surname as well, and for some reason I just liked the name Stevie! True story!

Don't worry though...give it a few years and he'll have faded away and I;ll be sorted again!

How's everyone's lead up to Wokingham going?

Got me a tough intervals sesh tomorrow of 5x 1mile at 10k pace within an 11miler, 12 miles thur and ..gulp..18 on sunday.

Chris, Don't worry about not completing the distance before the day. Adrenaline and race day atmosphere will see you through.

You can also get pretty decent times. I pretty much got from 1hr 41 to 1hr 19 never doing over the distance in training.

Now I'm trying over distance runs as a habit...and it certainly feels easier on the day...but then we're geting into 50-60miles a week training, so depends how much you want to fuel into it

Edited: 25/01/2011 at 22:40
IronCat5    pirate
26/01/2011 at 09:40

It's our club championship too.

I did the Windsor HM last year, and did the distance in training before Christmas, so I know I can do it. It would be nice to do it again before - but I'll leaveit and be fresh for Wokingham.

I'll see you all there (at the end).

26/01/2011 at 11:40

I'm a bit short of miles for Wokee in all honesty. I did get 14 last Sunday and I'll get another couple of 12-15 milers in before the day but I'd like to have done more.

That said, I did 9 last night with the middle 6 as tempo which came out at 6:24 avg. So maybe, just maybe there is a chance of me getting below my 1:26 pb. Let''s see!

26/01/2011 at 13:11

BFR's 2010/2011 TVXC league race will once again be held at Lightwater Country Park, Lightwater, Surrey, GU18 5RG with the usual 11.00am start. The course is not considered suitable for spikes.

The venue is easily found being just off the A322 to the south of Junction 3 of the M3. After leaving the M3 proceed south on the A322, almost immediately turn right into Guildford Road and then third right into The Avenue. The venue is at the far end of The Avenue.

Please car share as far as possible as parking is somewhat limited; we have to share with other users of the park, but the good news is it‘s free. Also experience shows that parking can take longer than you might think given the toing and froing of other park users cars.

Toilets are available at the ranger station. Please do not use the toilets in the gym as this is a privately operated club not a public facility.

26/01/2011 at 13:27

toilets are available....in the woods

Or if you're exceptionally cheeky like me, sneaking rond the back of the sports centre, and using the football and rugby players ones

Edited: 26/01/2011 at 13:28
28/01/2011 at 13:32
Pah, you're missing it anyways
28/01/2011 at 17:46

if it's been very rainy the day before, be careful of running through "puddles".

One year I jumped into what I thought was a puddle, only to go up to my shoulders. It amused the guy behind me muchly. Whereas I was just pleased I'm over 6ft or I could have been in trouble

28/01/2011 at 20:59
Seems like a silly question, but what is our course like ? (BFR)
28/01/2011 at 21:11

let me carry on my work as resident TVXC expert/anorak

2 laps. Long hill, steepish, but not too bad about 5-7mins into each lap.Rest of course, is firm trail, bit of mud, a couple of other very short but steep little climbs. Then near the end of the lap you have some particularly muddy fare just by a kind of lake, which you circle. This then leads you on a fairly long ending on woodland, back past the finish to lap 2,

Come that stage on lap 2 you are liteally screaming where is this finish!

Never raced this one too well to be honest if you look at my finishing positions last 2 years. Would no doubt have done better this year though

I'll be doing an 18miler instead at easy pace. A run designed to make Wokingham feel a  doss 2 weeks on!

Edited: 28/01/2011 at 21:12
IronCat5    pirate
28/01/2011 at 21:39

I strongly dislike lapped courses.

The first lap at Reading (Bearwood) went on forever. The second felt quicker as I knew what was ahead.

Yesterday's club 6 miler had to be an easy, as when I started to run my body said no. I've had a very busy week - 4 days in Wales so 2 return trips. Poor sleep in hotels and generally tired. After 5 miles I managed to put some effort in for the hills.

Undoubtedly due to adding a long run on to club mileage, and increasing from an average last year of ~40 miles a month to the 92 I've done in Jan. 

A couple of rest days until Sunday!

28/01/2011 at 21:55

nothing like travel to disrupt things Chris. And agreed on lapped courses, a reason I'm not too fussed about missing sunday!

Good luck all. Sprint I want to see you duck into the 30s, and Chris, higher than last time is your aim

28/01/2011 at 22:09
Ha, Can't say I'm expexting sub 40...we shall see - Got a mind on Wokee too!
IronCat5    pirate
28/01/2011 at 22:12

Travel is not normally an issue. The family are used to not seeing me for a few days, then seeing me pop in and get changed before heading out for a club run.

Datchet 160t, Sandhurst 144th, Reading 128th, Tadley 120th. I can only assume that less people turn up as the season goes on. Aiming for less than 120. Here's hoping.

201 to 220 of 248 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.