Two races in a week.....

Advice please!

21 to 27 of 27 messages
05/06/2007 at 12:23
For anyone who is interested, I managed to do the 2 races in the space of a week and whilst it was fairly tough I have thankfully emerged with just a few aches and tight muscles for my efforts. Races were Edinburgh marathon on 27th May (3.28) and Stranraer 1/2marathon on 2nd June (1.32).

With hindsight it was by no means ideal but it is doable if you are fairly well prepared and are willing to take the risk of injury.
05/06/2007 at 13:35
Well done good job.
So what are you doing this weekend ??? LOL
05/06/2007 at 13:54
Haha, well I did the copious amounts of beer thing on Saturday evening so will prob be back at the old training again!
05/06/2007 at 14:07
Well done Richard! Now you know.

Intrested how you approached both? Did you run easier in one etc. How do your very good times for both relate to your pbs etc.
How was the second race, did you feel good or like....
05/06/2007 at 14:31
To be honest I just went for it in both of the races!

For the marathon my training was geared towards getting under 3.30, my only previous marathon being 3.49 last year so it was easily a pb. Whether I could've run it harder had I set out faster....I doubt it as for the first 6m or so I followed the 3.15pace setter but eventually settled back into 8min miles and then lost the couple of mins I'd gained early doors over the last few miles as I slowed a bit.

I was concerned going into the 1/2 that I would give it a go and collapse half way round! I set out fairly quick(for me) doing the first few miles under 7's but settled into 7min miles for the most part. I have to admit that I slowed over the last mile resulting in a time of 1:32:32, which was just outside the pb I got at Alloa 1/2 earlier this year (1:31:46). I was surprised I managed to maintain the pace as long as I did but I certainly wouldn't say I felt great throughout.
05/06/2007 at 14:49
well done richard!!
05/06/2007 at 15:00
Thanks for the info.

Great job, well done!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.