UK Runners, do you wave or nod at other runners?

London, to be precise.

21 to 27 of 27 messages
05/09/2011 at 17:24

So now i have a nickname...???

Oh dear....

Yes that was me in the FP parkrun results this weekend.

Did you run?

05/09/2011 at 17:42

No Stevo I just check out the results since some of my old mates sometimes run there. You are the 12.5p buytonic boy remember? Love Finsbury Park but the parkruns only started since I moved.

05/09/2011 at 17:48
I used to get mixed results with runners in Clapham.  If they were as plodding and sweaty as me, they used to smile back or say hello, but the more professional-looking, decent runners used to fly past with a bit of a sneer.  Where I live now, runners tend to smile back or respond if you say hello.  On mile 10/11 yesterday, I got a "keep going, you're nearly there" from another runner who I'd seen going the other way about 30 mins earlier...  I must have looked like death warmed up...  I did have enought puff to laugh and shout "Thanks!"...
05/09/2011 at 21:18
i have been pleasantly surprised by just how friendly and close nit the running community is, on my runs out in the country or along the canal pretty much all runners give a nod or a wave,

cyclists however are less likely to be so courteous,
05/09/2011 at 23:01

Cyclist  dont chit chat much though I think thats because most of the ones your likely to meet day to day are commuting and its just an A-B thing. It would be like expecting car drivers to wave at each other.

If though cyclists are actually training for like round Regents park or on special rides, (Sky ride, Dunwich Dyno) you will get a friendlier interaction.

As for chatting to runners I have a way of doing it during races. I can be going flat out on the way to a PB yet still pep talk other runners.

Whats that about??!!

I think I get over excited....

06/09/2011 at 13:38
I always try to acknowledge other runners, sometimes I get a responce and other times I don't.
06/09/2011 at 14:01

is that right Forrest?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.