UKA results recording

Run Britain licensed events

21 to 24 of 24 messages
TZ
27/01/2013 at 09:45

I've just come across this thread and found it very interesting. As a race director I have just migrated over to a UKA ("runbritain") race permit from an ARC one in the past.

My original motivation was to ensure our results are listed on Power of 10 as I know that's something important to me, and a lot of competitive runners.

The UKA requirements are several orders of magnitude stiffer than the ARC ones to have an approved permit. Although that brings a lot of work I have to say I don't disagree with their need for a high level of diligence. It ensures a professional race and certainly minimises the chances of things going wrong, which can only be a good thing for everybody.

Putting my runner's hat on, I do wish Po10 would reintroduce its qualifying standards though - that used to be a good benchmark to try and attain in the past. 

28/01/2013 at 16:52

After 1st April 2013 Power of 10 will only provide a profile for runners registered with a home country governing body. For English athletes this means they will need to be a member of a UKA affiliated club and also pay the £10 registration fee to England Athletics.

TZ
28/01/2013 at 17:04

I wish the results listing database could be independent of race permit body such that it could include all races carrying legitimate race permits.

It does seem perverse that an ARC permitted race (which meets most of the UKA requirements) is excluded, while a TRA permitted one (with relativelty low standards), or even an overseas one (some with dubious standards) are included.

The runners in my race want the Power of 10 inclusion and that's what dictated my change to a UKA permit. 

28/01/2013 at 19:58

TZ, good post, would be good if all race organisers had your philosophy.

I've contacted a couple of race organisers and they weren't really aware of the difference apart from it was cheaper for ARC? And bearing in mind a large chunk of the field wouldn't count for PO10 or care about it anyway, perhaps isn't much of a consideration?

The safest way is simply to check the PO10 upcoming fixtures!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.