Upper Back/Shoulder Ache

3 messages
18/11/2013 at 11:26

Hello,

I wanted to get some opinions/advice on a problem that keeps reappearing and causing me pain while running.

I've been running for about 4 years, done a few half marathons and a full marathon this year, probably averaging about 30 miles per week.

I often have a dull pain across my upper back and shoulders when running, and feel very stiff in my upper body. At best it's a slight discomfort but slows me down, at worst I have to stop and walk.

I work in an office, which probably doesn't help my posture. and I've practised focusing my attention on form when running, but this usually makes it worse or transfers the pains to somewhere else.

Does anybody have similar problems? Any exercises to help stay relaxed while running?

Look forward to hearing from you.

18/11/2013 at 17:22

Check out this thread about a similar problem:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/shoulder-blade-pain/58247.html

Chances are it is probably weak back muscles made worse by poor posture, try either spending some time on a rowing machine or doing some low weight high repetition weights. Good upper back exercises include bent over/ seated row, reverse flys, lat pull downs, pull ups etc.

Strengthening your upper back will help pull your shoulders back and head up thus giving you better posture and hopefully eliminating your back ache. Remember to work core and lower back too if you really want to improve your over all posture (recommended if you spend all day at a computer!).

19/11/2013 at 11:22

Thanks for the info

It definitely feels like I need to work on my upper body strength.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.