User moderation on the runnersworld.co.uk forum

A little more information about this...

21 to 40 of 146 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:23
It makes us unequal NLR, that's the problem. We are all forumites and yet we don't hold the same position.
seren nos    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:24

Many people stated that they did not want unknown moderators.I believe you were one of them KK as you hated the idea that anyone on the forum could be moderating you....now they have decided to make them known so there is no misunderstanding then you also think thats wrong.....not sure what RW can do to address both viewpoints

18/06/2012 at 17:25

I don't think it's snide Madge.

I don't think it's a "Look at me" badge though, more of "Go and hassle them" badge as far as RW are concerned.   I wonder how long it will be before Meldy, Seren, Jeepers or Inter say "FFS, leave me be for 5 mins?" when they get the umpteenth email from the 5th highest mod reporter

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:28
I will go on record saying I do NOT want to be moderated by people I know, I have no issue with being moderated by RW towers but not by my peers, read Lord of the Flies.....
18/06/2012 at 17:29

Seren - they could have just have told us who they/you are.  A badge is different - it clearly makes you guys out.

Look at the some of the trouble Pirate badges caused back in the day.  Still does amongst some people.

purpletrilady    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:29

Liverbird - It's not moderation, it's just spam clearing.

There is a big difference 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:31
So it's litter picking?
Isn't that what they get people to do on community service? It'd make a cracking punishment for saying the F word on here
kittenkat    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:31

Why do they need a badge for spam clearing? Like BDB says, we know who they are now.

kittenkat    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:33

Getting a badge will make people think they're mods. There will be confusion and PMs flying at the next dispute.

18/06/2012 at 17:34

Anyway - we've debated this lots on the other thread about moderation.  This thread was supposed to be a place to ask RW questions which I have done and will await their reply.

Not that I would try to influence a thread, it's just my way of doing a Duncan Balentine and say "I'm oot".  For now at least.

18/06/2012 at 17:34
Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

Dominique - a couple of points that maybe you could clarify;

1. When you say the chosen mods made the most moderation reports, do you mean spam alerts or general moderation of contenious threads/posts too?
2. Did you look at the user profile and posting history, or just the number of mod alerts?
3. You haven't mentioned anything in your post about what steps Rodale are taking to fix this long term.  Is there a plan or is it now a case of sitting back and letting the prefects get on with it?

I feel that the answer to these points, others may have more, can put things in very different lights either way.

Hate to bring this back to point but agree with BDB - Will you (Dominique) please respond to it (especially point 3...). This isnt against the mod's - good luck to them

M...eldy    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:36

LB you wont be 'moderated' unless you are posting spam

I actually opted to have a 'badge' for want of a word as I think it is an honest way

I think we are missing a point also that I have volunteered to do what I can do when I am available to do it.  As a volunteer I can at any time ask not to be a volunteer any more.  I am not interested really in what RW could have or should have done with the Spam.

'We' have a problem with spam, I have volunteered to help.

18/06/2012 at 17:36

Speaking of badges, there's a lot of yellow and black on this thread. 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:37
They should be paying you Melds. They don't do their jobs for free do they?
kittenkat    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:38
PhilPub wrote (see)

Speaking of badges, there's a lot of yellow and black on this thread. 

I'm no good at finding old threads because the search function is so shit, but there was a great thread about badges, when they wanted to introduce more of them. I hope someone can find it LN is usually quite good at that.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:38
By the way.....
*opens jacket*
Wanna buy a watch? I give you good price
18/06/2012 at 17:39
kittenkat wrote (see)

Getting a badge will make people think they're mods. There will be confusion and PMs flying at the next dispute.

You just need the right badge.

http://www.paperchaseunlimited.com/images/128_spam_icon.gif

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/06/2012 at 17:41
I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet at the moment with companies in general asking people increasingly to 'volunteer' rather than paying them for something that has a VALUE and should be renumerated. We have volunteers running libraries FFS and qualified librarians on the dole. There is no end of people who want me to do stuff for them for free but I want to be paid now and it's almost like you should apologise for it.
18/06/2012 at 17:43
What a total storm in a teacup...
18/06/2012 at 17:47

Seems a good idea and nobody is being coerced.

KK, we know where you stand on this. Will you please shut up now?

21 to 40 of 146 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.