Vegetarian Cycling and Athletic Club

21 to 39 of 39 messages
28/04/2011 at 15:18

I realised when I started taking vitamin B and it made a BIG difference (mood, mostly, rather than fitness) that there clearly wasn't enough in my diet.  I think being veggie plays a significant part in that, but equally there are probably a lot of meat eaters with nutrient deficiencies too.

Mike Tyson probably still has that ear sloshing around his system. 

28/04/2011 at 15:19

Wouldn't being a successful member of a non-vegetarian running or cycling club prove that "Vegetarians could easily hold their own against their meat eating counterparts."?

In fact wouldn't that spread the word to more meat-eaters?

28/04/2011 at 15:20
I was going to join a few years ago but I was put off by the club colours. Shallow, I know.

Wilkie, was it Fiona Oakes who won that marathon (ok, I know it was now as I've just looked on her website)? She's vegan, runs an animal sanctuary, is a retained firefighter and wins marathons. She's pretty cool.

http://www.towerhillstables.com/marathon.html
28/04/2011 at 15:25

I don't know her name - I was marshalling near the finish, and saw her vest as she went past me.

It was pouring with rain at the time!

28/04/2011 at 15:30
She's well known in the vegan/vegetarian world for her work with animals. She's tireless!

28/04/2011 at 15:48
Wilkie wrote (see)

Wouldn't being a successful member of a non-vegetarian running or cycling club prove that "Vegetarians could easily hold their own against their meat eating counterparts."?

In fact wouldn't that spread the word to more meat-eaters?

It might do,  if you're prepared to be one individual campaigning to (and probably pissing off) the other members of your running club.  On the other hand, if you're more comfortable doing your proselytising in a group format (or if you just want some moral support) then this would be an equally valid way of getting a point across.

Hmm...that's a bit flippant.  I think I'm trying to say that its about visibility.  Running a race in one of those vests makes a statement.  Going round and talking about your dietary choices to everyone you race with might also make that statement, but it could also make you pretty tiresome.

I'd say clubs like this still have a valid role. 

28/04/2011 at 16:11
I agree with Ianjames. If I was a member of a 'normal' running club, unless it came up in conversation, I wouldn't mention I was vegetarian but I'd happily join a vegetarian running club and wear the vest at races(although they might not appreciate it, given my race times...).
28/04/2011 at 17:47
Surely running in a 'Vegetarian Vest' is a wee bit silly. Each to their own but I think making a point about not eating meat that grandly smacks of being a ham sandwich short of a picnic...
28/04/2011 at 19:18
I used to be a member, mainly to get race discounts and because there wasn't a club geographically near to me...I now have a club near me and go to that instead.  They are a friendly bunch who try to meet at races as their members are all over the country, but the vest is a really horrible yellow colour!
30/04/2011 at 09:33
Another confession to being put of by the kit colours - the vegan runners one is better and now there is vegan cyclist kit in thesame colour scheme. I am not a memeber of either veggie or vegan rclibs but only because I have neve really got around to it - I am a member of one of my local cycling clubs.  My diet rarely come sup in conversation.  I don't see why people object to others wearing veggie or vegan kit its an individuals choice
14/05/2014 at 10:00

Entirely irrelevant - a bit like running as a christian.

I just don't understand the need to preach, politicise and declare.

Is it part of the veg vegan superiority, holier than thou, complex that seems so prevalent?

Edited: 14/05/2014 at 10:02
14/05/2014 at 10:09
cougie wrote (see)
I know Robert Millar the Scottish cyclist was a vegetarian when he won the King of the Mountains jersey and finished third in the Tour De France back in 1984 I think ? I think he was the first veggie athlete that I was aware of. I've no idea who is or isn't now. I think both ways can be as successful.

Hope the  testosterone he took was meat free

14/05/2014 at 11:34

Eating less meat (not necessarily being totally meat free) is a good idea for most folks. Quite interesting to see how people marry that with competitive sport I suppose.

The vest looks like a Norwich City or Glazer out Newton Heath shirt. Rubbish

Edited: 14/05/2014 at 11:40
14/05/2014 at 12:45

Digging up three year old thread?

14/05/2014 at 14:14

...with the opening words "entirely irrelevant"... and with nothing to sell us.  The mind boggles!

14/05/2014 at 14:20
Why would someone be searching for something they find entirely irrelevant?
14/05/2014 at 16:19

Her first post too.  Welcome Joan!

14/05/2014 at 16:23

Good grief, a blast from the past. Yes, I joined, and they got me a place in last year's London marathon. Interesting to pick up on the ignorant comments. Bye again.

18/05/2014 at 23:54

I once ran behind someone who's shirt read " Horses for courses " funny that 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.