Verbal Abuse

21 to 25 of 25 messages
04/10/2002 at 18:29
Hi, I have been beeped at and wolf whistled at frequently when I take to the roads. I have nothing but pity for the poor blokes who think that a short 10 stone bright red woman dripping in sweat is attractive and worthy of a beep!! the rest of the time I run round a park or by the canal where the only hazard is dogs...
04/10/2002 at 20:33
I once had a white van man shout at me, one sunday morning. I ran after him (taking my training to the limit) I opened the door of the van and asked him to repeat his comment
can still remember his face.(and the smell of sh*t) But not what he said. the blood was pounding in my ears and I couldnt hear him..... the battle goes on
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/10/2002 at 21:07
Ignore 'em all, they're trying to get a reaction so don't give them any. But in answer to a couple of you complaining about dogs - it's around 18 years since I ever trained without at least one, mine are all obedience trained and potty trained too!The only time one of mine ever goes on pavement is if they really have to - and then I clean it up! They don't chase other runners because they're too afraid of getting left behind and losing me.
04/10/2002 at 21:10
I'd rather not spoil my run by actually dealing with abuse personally, so by and large I ignore it.
However, there have been (thankfully) rare occasions when it's got either a) irritatingly persistent or b) very unpleasant.
Then if possible I might run directly at the source - that usually makes them panic! and I can pass on my way. Absolute last resort is spitting - either down on the ground not too far away from the source, or, in the case some years ago of the smart@rse who chose to run alongside me shouting "die you b@st@rd! die you b@st@rd!", straight at him.
04/10/2002 at 22:24
I find where I live you cant get moved on the streets for runners so people tend to ignore you, some even say hello, but if I got abuse I think I would ignore them and if they got agressive I would run faster......

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.