W200m at world championships

is British athetics falling behind?

9 messages
26/07/2005 at 14:10
I was reading the team list for the world championships in Helsinki and I was disappointed that no women were running in the 200m. It seems a shame to deny some of the talented 200m runners like Maduaka and Sheehy from going to Helsinki.
Also the women middle distance is disappointing because more athletes should have been allowed to compete.
Is British athletics falling behing?
26/07/2005 at 15:56
I guess the answer to your question is yes we are falling behind and the athletes you mention can't have got the qualifying times. At least we do have a selection of female athletes in the distance events, including 4 in the marathon where as the male distance runners are looking thin on the ground -

A lot of work needs to be done between now and 2012 with our potential athletes to have any real medal hopes in 7 years time.
26/07/2005 at 16:12
I believe Joyce Maduaka is just coming back from injury if that helps any.....
26/07/2005 at 21:13
Hey andy your right but I also think that it needs to be publised more and encouraging potential athletes to go further and reach their best. I know quite a few young athletes who I train with that have great talent and want to run for GB but they don't seem to have much encouragment.
26/07/2005 at 23:37
Anyone who has reached the qualifying standard for their event is being sent to Helsinki, unless they are injured.

Athletics is dying sport in this country and I'm not optimistic of a major turnaround in the near future.
27/07/2005 at 07:20
I think Abi Odepitan (sp?) is injured too
27/07/2005 at 09:04
The trouble is, that the potential medalists now would not be kids, but young athletes in the are range of 16 - 20, and with the exception of Emily Pidgeon and Adam Hickey where are they?
27/07/2005 at 13:01
Yep, standards are falling across the board with only the occaisional exception that is played up 'to the max' to stop everyone realising how dire the overall situation is.

We shouldn't be in the situation of having few if any athletes achieving qualifying times. We should have more people with the times than there are places available. Then the selectors could actually 'select.'

Even in the doldrums of the last decade there has always been talk of a crop of promising youngsters that are going to turn things around. But something is going wrong as so few of these go on to fulfill their potential. GB juniors don't seem to be notably weaker than in the past, but senior standards are way down in most events.
27/07/2005 at 14:03
That is a good point Alex. the GB team in the IAAF World Youth Championships did really well, finishing 2nd behind Russia. The question is can these athletes continue to progress and be sucessful in senior championships or will they just be left and not quite get there?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.