Walkers In Running Races

Interested to hear what others think

101 to 106 of 106 messages
29/09/2003 at 19:20
Mass participation events (Flora, Walk for life etc. are expecting walkers, so it is not unreasoable to enter as one). Its different in a smaller scale event where you are meant to be racing, and the marshals are expecting to go home after a reasoable time.

29/09/2003 at 20:45
I personally wouldn't enter any race unless I knew I could complete the distance doing my best and I certainly wouldn't enter a marathon without doing the training. How can someone who have only done a few 10 milers say they are ready for a marathon?!
29/09/2003 at 21:12
Better change the name of the `Great North Run' to the `Great North Mass Movement of People from Newcastle to South Shields' then.

These events are not sponsored walks, but BAF running races. Fine if you have to walk for sections but why bother entering a marathon if you haven't a prayer of completing it as intended?
30/09/2003 at 08:45
Again a good point Barnsley. I saw a newspaper report that described the FLM as "More a carnival than a marathon". I'm not sure that I agree totally with that view, but certainly the early London Marathons that I took part in were an entirely different beast from what we see today. I'm not sure that the central idea of running 13/26 miles has been lost though. The vast majority of people do indeed enter with the intention of running the whole distance. Its only a minority that don't - perhaps we're getting too hung up about it.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/09/2003 at 09:05
I 'ran' the Berlin marathon on Sunday and got passed by a couple power-walking, saw them several times but in the final few kms could not catch them, they beat me by several minutes. I tried my best to catch them up but no go - and I was still running!
01/10/2003 at 18:12
'AH!', but I bet they were not picking blackberries on the way were they?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 106 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.