Walking a marathon is easier?

Is It?

201 to 220 of 394 messages
24/04/2013 at 10:36

Hmmm.. chocolate applied directly to the body. I think that's another forum...

DF3 - Screamy and Also-ran are right.  You need to get on the Walt Reynold's ITB special. I gave this a crack along with the foam rollering when I had real problems with ITBS (literally stopped me running after about a mile, kept me out for three months) and although I can't say whether it was the thing that contributed to ITB pain going away and never coming back, I could definitely feel it working.  One thing though - it's a bit difficult to describe how to do it properly, but luckily for you, since I tried to work it out someone's made a video of it.  Skip the first minute, it's just him being a bit twattish!

Seriously, do yourself a favour! 

24/04/2013 at 10:36

And then end up being one of those folks who says they cant run anymore on account of their dodgy knees?

Better to ease up and think of the long game, not just each individual run.

Also - with reference to your "id rather be loved by 5 people and hated by 5 people than..."; thats like reality TV isnt it?

24/04/2013 at 10:44

another + 1 for the walt reynolds stuff - I think ive done that as well.

It does seem to suggest ITB pain is down to hips rocking side to side - perhaps a symptom of overstriding.

24/04/2013 at 10:45

Well the general concept sounds, well um sound ..... so I might give it a go. Just on a more general point though, you say that doing it may or may not have helped the pain go away, but thats kind of the point Im making (and I realise youre not saying it was the sole reason, but Im just speaking generally here). I think people are giving too much credit to foam rollers and the like when for all they know it was the body repairing itself anyway as it does. A couple of months ago I really hurt my shoulder, could barely move the mouse on the computer it was that painful ...... within days it had gone. Now if I had been to the physio or doc and done their exercises, I probably would have convinced myself that it was their exercises that had done the trick.

Now not saying that the exercise youre suggesting doesnt make sense, it seems logical to slowly stretch the band out to help, but what I am saying is that far too many people as soon as they get the slightest niggle go running off to the physio and then blindly follow their advice instead of just stepping back, thinking logically and giving credit to your own body for doing a lot of the running repairs it needs.

Or to put it another way, if I told someone to hop up and down on the spot for 10 minutes if they have ITBS and then after a month the problem goes away, I doubt they would credit my advice as having helped, yet tell people to roll themselves up and down over a thing made of foam, and suddenly it becomes the reason why your body is OK. No credit given to your body which did most of the work.

24/04/2013 at 10:48
JMopper wrote (see)

It does seem to suggest ITB pain is down to hips rocking side to side - perhaps a symptom of overstriding.

Its funny you should mention overstriding because the one time Ive run for an hour, I deliberately shortened my stride so that it was more of a shuffle than a full run (well not a proper shuffle, but more shuffle-eque than a full blown running stride) ........ and obviously I got further and with less pain than before.

I will probably use that same tactic in the marathon where I try and keep my cadence up with short strides but faster turn over. Less stretching for the leg and less impact from the ground as Im not lifting my feet up as much so it has less distance to fall and impace on the ground for each stride.

24/04/2013 at 10:48

That's the very one Phil!

I used to do mine standing on a heating pipe in the loos at work 

24/04/2013 at 11:11

DF3 - Your comments are very valid. I'm pretty sure many running injuries correct themselves given a chance to heal with a bit of rest, as muscle fibres repair and inflammations die down.  On the other hand, if you can genuinely help things along with stretching and strengthening, you probably should.  It's not like we're definitely talking about pure placebo mumbo-jumbo of waving crystals and swallowing homeopathic remedies.  Foam rollering genuinely does relieve tension instantaneously; Walt Reynolds done properly does make you feel the burn in the right place (which one hopes indicates a stimulus to ITB strengthening), etc.  We're all experiments of one and we'll never know which bits got us back into shape, but we might as well put the odds in our favour.

BTW, I'm back to walking downstairs today - without holding on. 

24/04/2013 at 11:26

Spot on PhilPub - theres also the fact to consider that DF's shoulder injury was probably caused by a one off event or overtraining. ITB is a form/strength problem - the pain tends to go away after a few days but if you get out and run in exactly the same manner is comes straight back.

24/04/2013 at 11:26

David - it might be your cartiliage becoming inflammed when you run. Stretching the ITB will assist, plus glutes and hip flexors. Try to strengthen your knees through exercises that you can find on google.

24/04/2013 at 11:36
PhilPub wrote (see)

DF3 - Your comments are very valid. I'm pretty sure many running injuries correct themselves given a chance to heal with a bit of rest, as muscle fibres repair and inflammations die down.  On the other hand, if you can genuinely help things along with stretching and strengthening, you probably should. 

BTW, I'm back to walking downstairs today - without holding on. 

Totally agree with this - not all running-related pain just goes away with rest. e.g. I had to take a week off marathon training with achilles pain caused by tight glutes - resting till the achilles didn't hurt and then running again just didn't work till I'd sorted the glute problem (which google couldn't help with), after which it went away immediately and never came back.

And I can now walk downstairs carrying a tray with both hands. And went for a run! 

seren nos    pirate
24/04/2013 at 11:36

and a good physio would probably pinpoint the exact reason of many..

I don't use a foam roller but then i have managed to master the technique of self massage........most people cannot afford a daily massage or manage to get the right position to massage themselves so a roller is a good tool...

I think the best thing you can do DF3 is to get your partner to massage you daily...much less work for you than using a roller

24/04/2013 at 11:39

i put my knee problem down to the trainers I had at the time plus when I get tired my back hurts and this puts my running gait out, placing extra pressure on my knees. So I am now do core stability exercises. Again can be found on google.

I am no expert though.

And occasionally you do need expert assistance and a trip to the physio is worthwhile.

24/04/2013 at 11:42

And I would also say that this is what threads should be about. A forum for runners to air their problems and to see what advice comes your way. As opposed to whether runing or walking in a marathon is an achivement or not. (Not wishing to start another debate on this issue).

seren nos    pirate
24/04/2013 at 11:45

weak gluts cause most of my problems.from achillies to knee problems.......they are still weak though as I get lazy with the exercises.but do try and do yoga once a week now to try and help a little.....

24/04/2013 at 11:50
JMopper wrote (see)

Spot on PhilPub - theres also the fact to consider that DF's shoulder injury was probably caused by a one off event or overtraining. ITB is a form/strength problem - the pain tends to go away after a few days but if you get out and run in exactly the same manner is comes straight back.

" DF's shoulder injury was probably caused by a one off even"

It was caused by me being stupid at the pool and swimming lots of lengths (relatively as Ive only just got back into it after years of not having really been swimming), really fast. So yep on that count.

actually having the injury has helped me run in a slightly different and probably better one. Im shortening the stride and concentrating more on cadence and lightly placing the feet on the ground, so its probably done me a favour really.

seren nos    pirate
24/04/2013 at 11:52

I seemed to have lost my running mkojo the last month..i realised that i was probably run less than david over the last few weeks.

but a twohour uphill all the way run this morning sorted that out

24/04/2013 at 11:52

And don't forget referred pain - sometimes an injury isn't where you think it is. When I had IT band problems it initially felt like a pulled hamstring. PF problems can all be centred in the calf.

That's where physios come in - they know how all the bits join up!

BTW David - don't you think it's generous of the Forum to offer you all this good free advice?

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 11:54
24/04/2013 at 11:57

Just re-reading some of the old posts on the Guardian's running blog, came across this which made me think of this thread ...

"The minute that you feel a slight niggle, speak to somebody. Because if you're thinking in eight weeks time I would like to enjoy running a marathon, being physically prepared and able to walk the week afterwards, then what are you waiting for? It makes no sense trying to run it off. There is no heroism involved."

but I'm sure DF3 would disagree because 1. its a quote from a physio and 2. really, isn't the way to deal with our injuries to just man up?

24/04/2013 at 12:01

Here's the article, in case anyone else is interested : http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/19/how-to-avoid-running-injuries

24/04/2013 at 12:01
Screamapillar wrote (see)

BTW David - don't you think it's generous of the Forum to offer you all this good free advice?

Bollocks to that. KK's knocking up my invoice right now! 

201 to 220 of 394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.