Want to race but cant

childcare issue!

41 to 60 of 71 messages
16/01/2012 at 13:36

Wow you have a problem but it's not a running problem. You say in your first post you and your OH enter the same races, why? enter alternate races and whichever of you does the run, the other takes the kids.

Life is a compromise

16/01/2012 at 14:23

Couldn't you dump him, abandon the kids and have them taken into care, and then you could do what ever you want when ever you want ?

Or like the rest of us you could compromise... But I do think getting rid would be easiest and most sensible.

.(Other relationship councillors are available)
seren nos    pirate
16/01/2012 at 14:47
out of interest........those who wouldn't leave their children at the finish line.........
do you ever leave them at home for an hour at that age..........or do you ever let them go down the park with their friends at that age......

as I said......its individual to all children if they are responsible....but are we becoming over protective when we won't leave the kids in the car for 30 mins playing with their books and gameboys.....or we won't let them wait at a finish line ......these are much safer than letting them down the local park for an hour or around the local streets......
16/01/2012 at 14:48
Dave, that's a good point, my first thought was maybe take out a contract, but your method is much cleaner
16/01/2012 at 14:52

letting my 10yr old go to the park or home alone versus leaving him in an unknown city at a busy place like the finish line.

not really the same are they ?

16/01/2012 at 14:54
There is clear factual evidence that no harm will come to a child in this lone situation, I recently watched an American documentary on this actual subject with Macauley Culkin  
16/01/2012 at 15:03
And just to emphasise this, EG, a second documentary was produced a few years later and again, no harm was caused to Master Culkin, although the adults in his charge did suffer somewhat.
16/01/2012 at 15:06
seren nos wrote (see)
out of interest........those who wouldn't leave their children at the finish line......... do you ever leave them at home for an hour

Not a chance.......... Leave our kids alone in th ehouse for an hour.... It would be stripped and my good scotch drunk...

(NB Our youngest is 22 YEARS old)

seren nos    pirate
16/01/2012 at 15:07
Dean.most races around here are not big city races.....they are run by running clubs....
now if they are going to big city races .then there are loads of them and they can travel alone to different ones........

i got the idea that they were wanting to do all their local races which would mean small events......
and I think that it is just as safe as letting your kids down the park and around local streets..........where there are allsorts lurking.....

a different kind of nuuter frequents local races......

If the OP was referring to big city races then I take it back....those are different.........but there are hundreds of smaller races out there
Nam
16/01/2012 at 15:07
EG Graham wrote (see)
There is clear factual evidence that no harm will come to a child in this lone situation, I recently watched an American documentary on this actual subject with Macauley Culkin  

Jeepers wrote (see)
And just to emphasise this, EG, a second documentary was produced a few years later and again, no harm was caused to Master Culkin, although the adults in his charge did suffer somewhat.

LOL.  Genius!!
16/01/2012 at 15:09
Dean, depends very much on the race. I probably wouldn't leave my 10 year old alone while I ran the London Marathon! Very much not the same as leaving them at home or down the park.

However, I have left my quite sensible 11 year old at a small sprint triathlon based at a school in Wimborne, and my (again sensible) 10 year old boy at a very small (30 competitors) Aquathlon based at a small cove near Weymouth. Probably safer than down the park.
16/01/2012 at 15:15

What's this stuff doing on a Runners' Forum?

If he were signed on for a football team he'd need every Saturday afternoon from August through to May plus a training night which could easily clash with your pilates class, for instance. There are plenty of us on here I'm sure that have been through this as children and parents, and have come out ok at the other end without ever feeling the need to air their problems on a public forum.

16/01/2012 at 15:20
Ploddersoftheworldunite wrote (see)

What's this stuff doing on a Runners' Forum?

If he were signed on for a football team he'd need every Saturday afternoon from August through to May plus a training night which could easily clash with your pilates class,

Most races are on a Sunday tho, So it might be better if he played wendyball.....

16/01/2012 at 15:39

Looking at the number of races your husband is planning, he'll be injured after a couple of months. Sorted!

Seriously - hope you can sort something out

cougie    pirate
16/01/2012 at 16:09
yeah Oil his trainers. He'll break something and then can stay at home with the kids.

I do think his racing is a tad ambitious ? Have I got it right that he's just coming back to running and now he's racing every week ?
16/01/2012 at 16:09
I'll tell you something slow coach, I wouldn't like to be you if you match his times, your life would really be hell !! 
16/01/2012 at 16:17

That's it EG !!!

A match race Winners take all, Winner gets first pick of any race they want to do, Loser spends the next 25 years in the kitchen bringing up the kids

Well it worked in the 50's so why not now ?

16/01/2012 at 16:19
I could see a few silent meals if she got near to his times, I sense a bit of macho pride here
Slow_coach    pirate
16/01/2012 at 16:32

wow I was going to reply individually but lost track, some funny posts there

thanks everyone for your contrtibution for the entertainment value!  Seriosuly, there are some valid points and some silly ones and some wishful thinkig ones. You guess which is which.

And he is not that bad, if he is being very competitive he is hiding it well (i think is more of a case he thinks that is not an issue leaving them waiting at the end) as he always encourages me and shows intertest in my running (may be checking the competition - lol) Genuinely so. He is a hands on and loving daddy otherwise! And he does wants to do some races with me, to share the experience but if we do then we will have to plan and perhaps get a baby sitter, as someone mentioned.

I'll talk to him (again) when he comes back home; "darling we need to talk.....

I'll let you know the outcome, stay tuned! 

Edited: 16/01/2012 at 16:44
16/01/2012 at 16:37
Slow_coach wrote (see)

I'll talk to him (again) when he comes back home; "darling we need to talk.....

Don't start that way, He'll think you have gone off sex !!!

41 to 60 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.