Weekly on-line shopping.

Anyone do their food shopping on-line?

12 messages
29/11/2003 at 17:22
Does anyone use the on-line ordering and delivery service of any of the big supermarket chains for the weekly shopping?

Who do you use and are they any good?
JJ
29/11/2003 at 17:28
I use tesco

Fairly good, sometimes stock not available can't grumble at that. You can pick a substitute if the item you want isn't available. Sometimes too they may forget to deliver something but still charge you a simple phone call rectifies that and they will refund you for that item.

But on the whole good sevice too, you pick a time slot (2 hours)

I'd give them 8½ out of 10 always room for improvement

Saves time hassle and muscles doing it yourself as i don't drive.

Why JJ do you!
29/11/2003 at 17:35
Tried it once, JJ and ordered the delivery for 6.00pm-7.00pm on Sunday evening (they tell you what delivery slots are available) They then rang and said unfortunately they couldn't deliver till 10.00 am on Monday. We both work so that was not an option and we cancelled. Had we wanted a Saturday or Friday delivery, the chances are we could have accommodated a change of time.

Would try it again though. Supermarkets are hellish this time of year and I'm a compulsive impulse buyer so on-line shopping would solve that, hopefully.

It does take a lot of time though although I suppose once you've done it a few times te operation gets a bit more stream-lined.

You hear stories about people being sent bizarre substitutions though (Lemon Cif, for example not Jif Lemon) and I worry how frozen, frozen food is if you're third or fourth on the delivery route.

Like I say though, I'd give it another go.
29/11/2003 at 17:37
Chimp - i think they have a freezer compartment in the lorry.
29/11/2003 at 17:47
I have shopped on-line with Sainsbury's since November 2001 when it started here and I think it's great.

I shop on-line about every 5 or 6 weeks and fill the cupboards up with the heavy, dried and tinned stuff. We don't have a car so it's ideal. We do go to the shop regularly for fruit and veg as obviously I can't have 5/6 weeks stuff delivered!

Recently they missed off a tin of kidney beans (42p) and they sent us a voucher for £42! We let them know and they told us to keep the voucher - result!

The best thing about on-line shopping is that you can relax with a glass of wine instead of fighting with wonky trollies.

The first shop is quite slow but once your 'usuals' list is up and running it's pretty quick.

Do it - I recommend it to everyone.
29/11/2003 at 18:01
Pretty good news so far. Thanks.

Pam. Don't use one at the moment but it seems sensible to get the basics delivered, the boring stuff, and then only have to pop in for thr extras.
JJ
29/11/2003 at 18:06
JJ - also a point chimp makes when i used to do it myself if i saw something i fancied on the shelves i would pick it up so there's less impulse buying more pounds in the purse less pounds on the bod.
29/11/2003 at 18:06
Well you've sold it to ValP.

I'll give it a go if you do, JJ
29/11/2003 at 18:19
Next problem is which one to use. Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose are all local although I assume orders are delivered from a central depot.
JJ
29/11/2003 at 18:46
Deliveries aren't done from a central depot. We have 2 Sainsbury's near us - a large modern one about 1 mile outside of town and a smaller one in the centre of town. I learnt that they actually deliver from the smaller town store because there's not enough storage space at the larger store. Seemed odd to me but I can only get things that are stocked in the small store. The only problem this has caused is that I can't get tins of mixed pulses delivered unless I ring up and arrange it - which I can't be bothered to do - just as easy to pick them up when I'm somewhere that sells them.
29/11/2003 at 18:48
Have used Tesco. Only negative was sometimes stuff (salad etc.) arrived with a best before date of the next day, whereas if I'd been in the shop I could have picked out a fresher one. Putting a note in the 'comment' box seemed to help though.

Being childish, I used to find it quite exciting when the bags arrived - like lots of presents. Unfortunately as we used to have the shopping delivered to my bloke-at-the-time's place of work, he had normally rifled through and eaten all the goodies before they got home...
29/11/2003 at 18:49
ValP - I have shopped online with Sainsburys and practice is making it better

Good for heavy or bulky stuff like wash powder, t rolls, tins etc

Still go for fresh produce and to browse and spend dosh I haven't got!!

Good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.