Were you always motivated?

1 to 20 of 37 messages
04/05/2008 at 21:22

OK, so I’m totally c**p.  I like the idea of being a runner, and enjoy it when I do it, but I’m just such a lazy so and so.  I spend all day saying I’m going to run, and it just never quite happens.  I was going to go on Friday night, but then Saturday seemed a much better idea.  Then obviously, Sunday would be better and here I am now wishing I’d just gone on Friday.  I did Great North Run last year and the training was reasonably consistent so I know it can be done.

Now, I know there are going to be snorts of derision, and people telling me just to get up off my lazy backside and go running.  But what I really want to know is, did you runners out there find it easy to get into the running habit?  I realise everyone has bad days, and times when getting out the door is an effort.  But by and large, from day 1 did it just “happen”?  Did you find it easy to get into a routine?  Or did it come with time?

Running clubs are out of the question as I’m reliably informed that running clubs around me are not welcoming unless you’ve been going for a million years.

In short, is this ever going to happen to me, or should I just accept I’ll never be a runner and go and find something that does motivate me…?

Please don’t be too cruel with your snorts!....!

LIVERBIRD    pirate
04/05/2008 at 21:43

Of course it doesn't just happen! I'm a girl and I'm governed by my hormones! If it's  the first day of TOTM I will rip off your head with my teeth if you suggest I go for a plod....

I think it's called bloody minded determination. Mr Liverbird has it in spades. He can come home after a 10 hour day, pull on his kit and go to to the gym at 10pm if it says in his schedule that is what he is supposed to do.

I cannot.

I'm about to begin full blown marathon training. If I discover the secret of forcing my sorry ass out of the door when I'd rather pull my nails out with pliers, I'll let you know.....

Nam
04/05/2008 at 21:57

I guess that's the nice thing about triathlon training...  If I don't fancy running I can rejigg the schedule and do a bike session or swim instead...  Or if I'm not in the mood to swim, I'll go for a plod...  When I'm fit and well (and not as viral as now) there is always something I want to do...  but I don't like to be to rigid with schedules...  as long as it all gets done in the end...

04/05/2008 at 22:06

Thanks both!

Liverbird - I'll have some of whatever you feed Mr Liverbird please!!!  Good luck with your marathon training - you can motivate yourself when you're running by thinking of me still sat on my sofa....!

And Nam - triathlon.  Oh MY GAWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!  If I even mentioned the 'T' word to Mr B Team his sides would probably split from laughing so much.  Do hope you're less viral soon.

Right.  This has helped.  8am tomorrow I WILL be up, breakfasted and out running.  And I will bypass my usual procrastinations....

Thanksxxxx

04/05/2008 at 22:06

i think it depends what motivates you - what  ultimately you are aiming for from running and what your goals are along the way

I think you have to to find a reason that appeals to you alone

I struggle very badly with motivation (ive done bugger all exercise since easter -end of season for me) and JFD doesnt work for me -WTFTP! I dont race far too slow so pointless for me and im not keen on crowds or pavements!

I think you have to decide what you want to run for (and if you do) and then build some goals based on that -health? fitness? weight management? competition? to be fit for something else? to achieve an ambition? raise funds for charity ? - but whatever it is it has to mean something to you enough to be worth all th hassle to get going in the first place!

04/05/2008 at 22:13
A year ago my anxiety levels were so high, if I didn't run, somebody was going to die.  So I ran little and often.  I've calmed down now..  I have found running around the same circuit around the village I live in quite boring, so get in the car and pick another village or town nearby.  The change of scenery helps me keep the momentum going as it is always changing.  That has helped me a lot.  Some villages are hilly, some are not; some have historic houses, some modern - all different scenery to look at and that is what I seem to need.  Your body shape changes very subtledly over the months as well and that is quite rewarding/motivational too.   
04/05/2008 at 22:45

I got my motivation by running a half marathon for charity - there was no way I was going to let people down who had sponsored me and this kicked my sorry butt out of the door when the last thing I felt like doing was running.  Now I'm addicted so getting out is not a problem....its stopping myself when I'm sick!

Only you knows what will motivate you - but in the end its all down to you and whatever decision you make.

04/05/2008 at 23:24

Currently, running motivation is extremely high as I have end of year uni exams looming ever so fast....

If only motivation was transferable, currently I'm addicted to running and rather negligent to studying!!! But hopefully the two can peacefully coexist.  At least until 30 May, then I can run until injury hits!!!

But back to the question at hand, I had absolutely no athletic motivation for most of my life!  only started running last October, having only started fitness training in late August (basically various stuff at the gym).  Took it a bit more seriously from January/ February onwards.  I find having something to look to really helps.  In the early days, it was simply the novelty of being fit for the first time in my life (I was always rubbish at sports as a kid/ adolescent)!  Then I decided to enter a couple of races for a laugh, surprised myself, and now just want to run further and faster!

So yeah, goals... I think that was my point

05/05/2008 at 03:08

My original motivation came when I went my second run and managed to run a little further than I did the first time. Then I kept going and going until I had ran a 10k race then a half marathon then a marathon.

Since then I have hardly been running at all but I am desperate to start training again. I have entered the Glasgow half this September and am currently psyching myself up to start the training.

I have mapped three runs on mapmyrun that I am going to use over the summer to train and am thinking about getting a Garmin 205 to track my training.

Motivation comes from enjoying the outdoors and the feeling of the run as you pass through the neighbourhoods and countryside, enjoying a different perspective on the world as you pass along at an unusual tempo from normal.

Afterwards you get to reflect on whether your performance was better or worse than last time and after a while you notice you can do more than you could a few weeks ago,

The trick is not to hurt yourself whilst only competing with yourself. Never mind how far or fast other people can go just believe in and enjoy your own progress.

Thats what I think anyway.

05/05/2008 at 06:09

I'm depressed! No free t-shirt from dorunning.com and I have a stye, must have been chilled from thw wind after a run... What motivation can I get from this?

PS  Just kidding, the stye bothers be though.I'm looking asymmetrical.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/05/2008 at 07:28

B-Team!!!  This is your conscience speaking.....

Get out of your pit, pull on some shorts and get THROUGH THAT DOOR......!!!

It's 7.20 and you've got 40 minutes till you're on your way for a plod!

One thing that used to motivate me in races when I was tiring was chanting the mini LB's names with every pound and deciding I was "doing it for them". I know its worked for other people too. It doesn't have to be kids - it could be anyone. Do it for Jesus if you want to - who knows when you get to the pearly gates it might just get you "in"!!!!

I don't feed Mr Liverbird. I keep him hungry!

His motivation comes from knowing he won't get fed until he hands me a sweaty bag of washing!

He's even got the minis running him a bath after his LSRs at the weekend. Talk about well trained! I expect the same degree of attention to detail when I begin training next month!

05/05/2008 at 08:58

I'll go out in the morning and it is a struggle tioo get out of bed , but when i am out of the front door i am fine, i am lucky i have a job where i can move the hours around and do the work when i want, providing the weather is fine, so i can often get up in the morning and if i dont want to go out then i can re jig it till the afternoon when i am feeling better, Paula Radclife once said that there is nothing wrong with taking an extra rest day now and then., just don't make it to often

05/05/2008 at 09:00

You know how sometimes you have a perfect cup of tea?  The temperature's just right, it's not too strong or too weak, and it just tastes like the most glorious drink in the world?  I'm always looking for that feeling when I'm running, and the thought that it might happen today is what gets me out there.  Whatever happens, I know I'll feel better when I get back than I do when I leave. 

Some runs are just okay, some are horrible and plain hard work where nothing feels right or I have to run past hecklers, but then there are the ones where everything comes together perfectly, the temperature's just right, the birds are singing, the scenery's gorgeous and I get a rush of pure happiness that I've discovered this.

Maybe it will happen today, maybe it won't, but there's only one way to find out

What are you training for LB?

Hope    pirate
05/05/2008 at 09:19

For me a programme is essential, because I will stick to it regardless of how I feel. If it says on that piece of paper I need to run 10 miles then the decision is made and I'll do it.

Also there have been times when I have really not wanted to get out there and the forum is brilliant for getting some encouragement from fellow forumites and a bit of a kick up the bum when you need it.

JFDI!!

I agree with Nam though. Triathlon does give you a bit of flexibility to swap things about to a certain degree.

05/05/2008 at 09:39

For me a programme is essential, because I will stick to it regardless of how I feel. If it says on that piece of paper I need to run 10 miles then the decision is made and I'll do it.

The best way to injuries and overtraining by the way.

Hope    pirate
05/05/2008 at 09:59

Well it works for me and I'm  injury free.

You have to know your body and be able to tell the difference between being lazy, and not bothered, to genuinely listening to your body and resting because it's the right thing to do. If in doubt I'll go out and I've always been glad that I did. But I have occasionally  waved the white flag, when I know I'm genuinely tired and that I need to rest, or during illness.

A good programme will include rest days and easy weeks to prevent over training. I would be a lot more likely to overtrain if I didn't have a programme to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Hope    pirate
05/05/2008 at 10:04
Also another thing that worked for me in the early days was to enter a race. The first one I did was the Cancer research race for life. There's nothing like a deadline to keep you motivated and doing a race for a charity helped me to feel I was not just doing it for myself which also got me off the sofa on many days when I would have refered  not to.
Nam
05/05/2008 at 10:14

A training schedule is the best way to overtraining?????????????  What a load of cobblers??  If you pick a training schedule with a training volume suitable to your ability you won't overtrain.

If a newbie who can't run for a minute picks a hardcore fast 10k schedule involving one rest day, of course they'll overtrain and get injured.  Not the fault of the training schedule though is it...

Some people, like Hope, have a more systematic approach to their training and if it suits them that's great. 

05/05/2008 at 10:25
The B Team wrote (see
Right.  This has helped.  8am tomorrow I WILL be up, breakfasted and out running.  And I will bypass my usual procrastinations....

So at 7.30am this morning I was indeed up and breakfasted, then suddenly cleaning the kitchen floor seemed like a much better idea.  Then at 8.30am I checked in here and saw:

LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
B-Team!!!  This is your conscience speaking.....

Get out of your pit, pull on some shorts and get THROUGH THAT DOOR......!!!

It's 7.20 and you've got 40 minutes till you're on your way for a plod!

And I was truly ashamed!  So out I went (hurrah, and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liverbird).  How depressing - I have lost so much fitness in the 4 weeks since I last ran but I've made the first step back again and the shock of how quickly it all goes I think has motivated me again.

And thanks for everyone else's replies.  The bottom line seems to be goals, goals goals, and I think (thanks Hope) that a rigid plan is the most realistic way of making me do things (barrring injury/illness of course .  Thinking about it this morning whilst 'running' (errr, well it was faster than a walk.  A lot of the time.  Most of the time.  Oh ok, some of the time!).  I think I'm quite harsh on myself - I'm a perfectionist at work and I probably bring a lot of that home - so if I run I have to run faster, further, better and I get de-motivated when I don't.  I loose sight of the big picture and should focus on just being glad that I did something, and that something is better than what I've done the last 4 weeks.

Sorry for rambling and thanks to everyone who took time to reply - it really has helped so much.  Liverbird I'll be watching on here to see how your marathon training goes - hope some of your help to me works for you too!

Hope    pirate
05/05/2008 at 11:01

Enjoy it B team....some wise soul on this forum once reminded me that this is not an unpaid job, we do it because, as we know, we feel great afterwards, we are doing something good for our bodies and our mental attitude, and because we love that virtuous 10 foot tall and bullet proof feeling we get when we achieve even the smallest of goals. The hardest part some days is getting your kit on and getting through the front door. But the feeling when you arrive back home, is great isn't it??

Well done for getting out there today!!!   

1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.