What 5k time do you run?

If im aiming for a sub 40 10K, what time should i be running for a 5k?

9 messages
16/12/2009 at 14:29

Now i know it should be sub 20, but by how much? Sub 19`s? ...Sub18`s?!

How do your times compare?

Many thanks!!  Jay.F

16/12/2009 at 14:39
I reckon a 18-min 5k would put you well within 40-min 10k if you tend to be faster on the 1st 5. I tend to be doing the reverse, my 2nd 5 is usually faster than the 1st - think it's because I got warmed up properly going into the 2nd half, hence I don't like running 5k as a race distance because I know I'll be slow
16/12/2009 at 14:56

19:15 according to the McMillan Running Calculator.  So sub-19 should do it, assuming your usual sensible diet of endurance/LR and faster training.

In my experience some people struggle to covert downwards to 5k if they're used to the longer distances.  If you've not run the shorter stuff before it can be a shock getting used to the discomfort level you ought to be able to endure if you've truly paced yourself as well as possible. 2k into a 5k you should be wishing you were more than half way, but still have enough endurance and mental toughness to maintain the pace. Throwing up at the end optional (sometimes).   

On the other hand if you're used to the shorter distances and have trouble converting to 10k, then obviously you need to concentrate on endurance with over-distance training.  10 - 12 miles LR for a 10k I reckon.  Plus some tempo runs or tempo intervals @ target pace.

Runnaholic - the shorter the race, the longer the warm-up should be, within reason.  For a 5k I'd have a good 15 minute run beforehand as a warm-up, to really get the heart and lungs going.

16/12/2009 at 15:06
I know, it can take me some 5k to warm up properly so mostly I thought 'might as well go the distance...' (maybe I'm doing it wrong with the warmup bit as don't do warmup for long distance)
16/12/2009 at 17:59
Runnaholic wrote (see)
I know, it can take me some 5k to warm up properly so mostly I thought 'might as well go the distance...' (maybe I'm doing it wrong with the warmup bit as don't do warmup for long distance)

Didnt you do a 5k training run in something like 15:40 the other day!?!
16/12/2009 at 18:40
I come from the background of being a good sprinter and triple jumper when I was a teenager, but then slipping into football as my main activity for 20 or more years after that, while still running to help keep me fit (but with no competitive element whatsoever). After that all became too much in my late 30s and early 40s I gradually got back into running as a sort-of-competitive thing, and now do a Parkrun 5k most Saturdays. My best in this second period of my life is 20:41, and I'm working hard to get it down under 20 minutes. With my sprinting background, I find any transition upwards tends to see my pace slow: my best for 10k now is just over 44 minutes: should be faster, but I do my best! Even just on that limited evidence base, and knowing nothing about your age and condition, I would have thought sub-19 is well within your compass, possibly even sub-18. It's a new one to my unscientific mind that people might have trouble converting down, but I guess it makes sense. Runnaholic, I'm no great shakes at the preparation side of this, but depending on whether I have use of the family car, I run somewhere between 1.5 and 4k just to get to the Parkrun I do: a 'warm-up' of 4k for a 5k race seems on the face of it to be too much, but I have had some of my best times after that preparation (I do run there fairly slowly, it has to be said). It's recommended to do some strides at about 75-80 per cent as well as some stretching - the front-runners often go off very fast and their bodies need to be acclimatised to the pace and stretched to avoid injury. Good luck.
16/12/2009 at 18:54
I reckon based on personal experience 18:30 - 18:40 should get you sub 40.
16/12/2009 at 22:12

Best time so far (started in Sept) is 19.30 for 5k. My best at 10k is 40.49, so my times are very close to the preicted ones on the Macmillan site. I hope to break 19 and 40 mins early next yr.

18/12/2009 at 13:23

When i was in my prime many moons   ago i was running 18. 30 for a 5k which in turn meant i could run sub 39 mins for a 10k .

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.