What are the marquee runs in 2013 like London Marathon, Great North Run etc.

21 to 40 of 71 messages
19/09/2012 at 15:14

Oh give over with ya higher then mighty attitude Wilkie. Your a very condescending person, noticed it in my other thread you hijacked. If you have nothing to contribute then dont post on here if all you want to do is belittle my questions. Go mock somewhere else or do you think cos your in a running club and a secretary and im a newbie you have a right to appear elitest. Do one please.

19/09/2012 at 15:17

I work hard to get back to fitness, Ive run 3 marathons raising over 5k for charity losing 3 stone each time to do it and kowing I needed a knee  ACL reconstruction. Ive had this 3 months ago and im now starting from scratch again with my fitness and building the knee up, I'd like some goals and aims and would like to do some popular mainstream events like the Jane Tomlinson 10k in Leeds or Great North Run. Is that ok Wilkie or to get YOUR approval do I have to do the ones you say or think I should.

19/09/2012 at 15:21
So you have lost 3 stone each time ? Why bother putting it back every time ?
19/09/2012 at 15:23

No I gradually put some on after and  then get  to a new lighterweight then before. Ive put on 20 pounds since knee op and just started proper training 2 weeks ago. But thats not the topic on here. I suspect the regulars on here now will come on and have nit pick as I've commented on Wilkies constant belittling posts.

19/09/2012 at 15:25
Sorry you brought up the weight loss
19/09/2012 at 15:30

No worries, just wanted to highlight the effort I put in to do these events and I don't appreciate the attitude of some people who are quick to put down and belittle my posts when its a perfectly normal question.

I respond well to goals and aims, like the London Marathon and this event pushes me and the day pushes me with the crowd. I wouldnt feel the same doing a smaller or quieter  marathon event tbh, doesnt make me a bad person. We're all different. I'm not a serious runner or club runner, most of the time its not about the time but more so the event and satisfaction in finishing.

19/09/2012 at 15:31
Yeah no one else puts in any effort. Lol
19/09/2012 at 15:32

Care to highlight where I say that? Please.

19/09/2012 at 15:34

Pointless post that tbh. Not sure why you posted it, or as the witchhunt on a newbie or inexperienced runner started.

19/09/2012 at 15:40

FWIW, it was probably your use of the word "proper" that got everybody pissed off.

Anyway - events with a large number of participants

(Think Great South Run should be on that list)

Also - IAAF Road Race Label Events

Edited: 19/09/2012 at 15:40
19/09/2012 at 15:47

True tbh, can see your point and meant  no disrespect by that. I would be tempted to do some quieter events like 10k etc next year as I am aiming to beat my PB of 51 minutes as I realised this year when I started taking times into account I did better. But all that wont be until next year due to knee rehab.

19/09/2012 at 15:53

Yes, it is the use of the term "proper events" which has got peoples' backs up. Most seasoned runners will have experienced many a comment such as "Oh the Taunton marathon - how far is that?", or "When will you do a proper marathon like London?" from people who know nothing about the sport.

There's nothing wrong if you enjoy these larger events, but you seemed to imply that these were the only ones which counted. I am glad I have experienced London, but doubt I will do it again. I also have a certain dislike of these mega-events in that I think they have caused a massive inflation of entry fees for events like themselves, but also smaller, more local events as well. 

19/09/2012 at 15:58

It was your attitude about 'proper' runs, and 'main' events which prompted me to ask if you were interested in challenging and/or interesting races, or just a tick-them-off list.

You replied that you wanted tick-them-off events, which lead me to think you are more interested in saying "I've done London" or "I've done New York", than in actually taking part in races.

If you post on an open, public forum, you must expect that some people will respond in less positive ways than you would like.  Suck it up.

19/09/2012 at 16:03

Mark,

I hope that most of the ribbing was light hearted (mine certainly was) and that most posters simply hoped to open your eyes to the positives of the smaller events.  If you enjoy the bigger events, as you say, that's your choice (and it means the smaller events stay small ).  Fair play for the apology about the use of the word 'proper' and happy running.

19/09/2012 at 16:05

Im a member of a few forums so am well aware of the behaviour of forumites. For the record Ive done New York, never again unless im very fit and yes I did it to say ive done New York. Same for London but I got bored with just doing them now, its about time too. Ive never said the main events are the only ones that counted, im not a club or serious runner so smaller events where times or PB's are the goal arent really my thing yet. You call the races as I presume you race, good for you, I call them event as its the whole experience for me. Ive read the london marathon threads where serious runners mock fun runners saying you walked it not run it etc. Also "main" events, would you not class london, new york, great north run as main events in most peoples eyes, ie those of the general public not really into running. Ask ten people in the street to name running events, bet they only know great north run and london.

Edited: 19/09/2012 at 16:05
WiB
19/09/2012 at 16:05

We are drifting well away from the point here. Which races will have marquees in 2013? At what point does a tent become a marquee and then return back to a tent again? i.e at a circus the large canvas structure is normally known as a tent. However, I would say it more resembles a marquee in its build and appearence.

Also, ultra races don't always have a marquee (Caesars Camp and Lakeland do if that helps) but many have aid stations consisting of gazeebos. What ratio of gazeboos would you need to equal one marquee?

WiB
19/09/2012 at 16:07

Im sure when I get fit and faster I'll do  other smaller events where time is the aim and its more of a race. But I wont do them until im confident I can compete at least in the middle of the field and not be last. Until then the big events suit me as I know Ill have company and wont be last.

Edited: 19/09/2012 at 16:08
19/09/2012 at 16:08

I call them races because they are races - someone gets a prize for coming first, second, and third (not that I'm ever going to get one). 

And why not enter until you feel you can come halfway up the field?  If I had that attitude I'd never enter a race!

Edited: 19/09/2012 at 16:10
mcs
19/09/2012 at 16:09

Coniston 14 one of my fav races as well as Great Longstone Fell Race. 
Happiness is one thing we can give without having.

19/09/2012 at 16:12

Nothing wrong with my attitude at all Wilkie.

21 to 40 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.