What do people read

running mags

21 to 40 of 55 messages
22/10/2002 at 11:06
but Rob it's gone downhill since you left...
22/10/2002 at 11:09
I read Runners World and Running Fitness every month, even though I agree that the editing of the latter is excruciating.

Also read the British Medical Journal, the bits of the Lancet and the American medical weekly heavyweights that are online, some of the medical monthlies, and the Sunday Times magazine.

Have bought the occasional copy of Trail but see it as something for my future when the kids are big enough for real walking expeditions.

I dislike the women's glossies immensely. They're basically adverts for consumer lifestyle products of the type that my lifestyle doen't consume, padded out with showy-offy, look-I-can-do-similes-and-stuff diatribes on subjects trivial enough to be dismissed in a couple of sentences.
22/10/2002 at 11:22
I can't bear woman's glossies either but occasionally get one pushed my way! end up feeling gastly for the rest of the month - they seem to have that effect of somehow making you feel totally inadequite about dress, appearance etc!
Other than that I read:
TES
Scientific American
biological scientific review
Running Fitness - once.
Most of above supplied at work.
22/10/2002 at 11:34
RW, RF, Trail sometimes, it's interesting. Never womens magazines, they are guff.

If I'm feeling clever, new scientist, the economist, and professional journals.
22/10/2002 at 12:02
Who DOES read women's glossies then?
22/10/2002 at 12:13
Viz
22/10/2002 at 12:13
and Runners World of course!!!
22/10/2002 at 12:23
Runner's World,

Student Accountant (well, that's a lie actually - it gets delivered and occasionally I actually remove the plastic cover, even more occasionally I actually read an article),

Running Fitness occasionally, although it's been about 6 months - I was beginning to feel it was a waste of money - much better in the "Today's Runner" days.

Sky magazine - in case I spot a sporting event I just MUST watch.

Sporadic 220, and Cycling Weekly around TdeF time.

And that's about it.......
22/10/2002 at 12:33
Bazza

Have you ever read UET?
Or LTT?
Or Transit?
Or GTO?
Ever been to an 'Important One Day Conference'? :-)
I agree that RF was better as Today's Runner, I ceased my TR subscription when it re-branded. I get RW (of course), UltraFit, Crafts, occasionally New Scientist, have got 2 of 4 issues of Personal Trainer (new), occasionally Athletics Weekly. Have to read exciting things like Oftel News for work!
As well as the obvious RW I also get a few mags from the USA in Borders bookshop-Running Times,Trail Runner and Triathlete.I also get RF from time to time plus work related stuff and of course the NME
22/10/2002 at 13:21
Trail Runner sounds sexy in an 'outdoorsy glossy pics of places I'll never run but would love to way'- sort of Trail with sunshine?
22/10/2002 at 14:16
Spot on the pictures in Trail Runner are stunning and even more so when you consider that you are extremely unlikely to ever go there.The RW "Rave Run" aint a patch on the ones in TR!!
22/10/2002 at 14:23
Er... I read women's glossies.Always Vogue, sometimes Cosmo. I cheat by buying them for my wife of course. As an excuse I subscribe to the Economist, New Scientist and Prospect, plus I get Accounting and Business posted to me every month, so I need some light relief.
22/10/2002 at 15:08
Rob - I no longer read Transit, UET, LTT or GTO. These days I'm more of an ABC&D, PSB, PSLG, H&R type person. Ah! the joys of business to business magazines :-)

Anyway, I still like Athletics Weekly and I think British Runner is excellent, if a little flimsy. Runners World is usually quite good, while Running Fitness is pants.

Other than that, I read all the women's mags that missus buys, but I only read them when she's out.
22/10/2002 at 15:19
I read RW and RF, But RW is much better. Is that sucking up or what?
PS: Do I get a mention in Runners World for this?
22/10/2002 at 15:20
There's clearly a trend here. I always have to fight Mrs Chimp to read FHM first.
22/10/2002 at 15:38
Does Health and Efficiency count as a fitness magazine?
22/10/2002 at 17:01
Can't stand womens glossies but despite this I subscribed to glamour when it first came out because
a) it was on offer
b) I am always waddling about either in running gear or comfy post running curling up on sofa gear and I thought I had space for some glamour in my life.
However, it is the same as all the other womens mags which apparently are aimed at those who have botox in their lunch hour and don't know if they are looking for mr right or Mr right now.
So now I have RW, Empire and AAT monthly or something, which lies around unread for a week before I get fed up and throw it away, plastic cover intact.
22/10/2002 at 17:04
Daisy, is that AAT as in Association of Accounting Technicians? I think there's enough of us out of the closet now to start our own thread.
21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.