What effect do you notice after taking a gel?

41 to 47 of 47 messages
06/02/2013 at 21:22
If it a LSR i just leave the sugar at home - I just make sure I have a decent meal the night before, then wake, quick cup of tea and off.

Adding sugar/gels mid LR is going to interfere with you training yourself to burn fat more efficiently. If you are doing the long runs slow enough then you have plenty of fuel on tap. For a pacy long run, or 'dress rehersal' I take them. At least, that's my interpretation
06/02/2013 at 21:24

Brilliant ok, thank you

07/02/2013 at 04:43
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)
LouiseG wrote (see)

I am pretty slow so my LSR can be 3 - 4 hours.  I don't like to eat too much before a run and I find gels quite useful as an easy to carry top up; I use Gu gels, but only take about half a sachet at a time, any more than that and it makes me nauseous.  No more than 3 in one day, for the same reason.  Can also cause a bit of stomach distress afterwards.  Regarding effect - about 10 mins or so after taking it I do feel a boost, suspect most of it is down to the caffeine.

i would have a think about the volume of gels you're using during training - the LSR is there to train your body to fuel from fat, and by taking gels you'll be limiting how much you're developing that process

yeah - wasn't going into that much detail but on training run more likely to use none or maybe just one.  Experimented once with 2.  Full marathon I used 2.5.

07/02/2013 at 07:54
Out of interest, what mileage did you use them on? I only ask as I'm tinkering with my use and 2.5 sounds low ish for 26 miles....
cougie    pirate
07/02/2013 at 08:09
On marathons I go with one every five miles. It's easy to remember and ties in with the "body has enough energy for 20 miles or so" theory.

I do take the 25 mile gel a bit early though as it takes 20 mins to kick in.
07/02/2013 at 08:23
That's how I tend to work on long runs as well. Certainly been working well recently. Each to their own I guess
07/02/2013 at 08:51

For marathon I took a half at the start then approx every 6k, theory being to have last half at 36k after which a bit pointless.  But I added chocolate into the mix and laughed off half a gel somewhere along the way.   I have the advantage of quite liking the vanilla and coffee flavours.  Most of the others are pretty revolting.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.