What is a good/average time for a 3K, 5K and 10K?

61 to 72 of 72 messages
02/10/2012 at 21:46

I have just joined Runners World community, and as a relatively new runner was curious to know how I faired in terms of timings etc.  I have been running for just two years, I am female, age 56, and started off running on a treadmill in my garage gradually building it up to 5k runs on the road (and four stones lighter as a result).  Tonight I managed to run my first 10K after work in the rain in 58.04 mins, which I am very pleased with.  I too am happy just trying to be better than the 'average person in the street'.  I have a baseline now from which to keep trying to get a bit quicker and better.  The sense of well being and achievement I get from running and coming to the sport relatively late in life,  is everything to me;  I never thought I could feel so alive and vital and I am looking forward to many more years of running ahead.  I do, of course, worry about injury, like everybody else I guess, as I am also a keen fell walker and would not want to jeopardise enjoying this. 

02/10/2012 at 23:10

Well done janet that is a great time, i know some younger people who couldnt run that,. i take my hat off to you, Like you i have only been running just over two years and im 48, i have now completed 3 marathons and 3 half marathons, im off to valencia in november to do a full marathon, keep up the good work and you will feel so much better for it, once again Well done.

03/10/2012 at 08:40

I know what a good time is for a certain distance for me, just by feel. If it's quicker that I last ran it and I know I gave it everything to get that time and I prepared as well as my I feasibly could, then that's a good time.

I'm still trying to crack a 2h half. That's not a quick time by general standards but, having run three of them in just over 2hrs, I will be over the moon if I manage it, and will consider it a bloody brilliant time. That's not to say I think it would be a particularly difficult thing for many people to do and it's definitely doable for me if I put in the training, just that my goals are to keep improving and get fitter, so any time that reflects that is a good one.

03/10/2012 at 08:50

Surely one good tool for deciding what a good time is, is the Age Grading system..  There are several tools out there, but why not look at the Runner's World one.. here

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/agegradingcalculator/0,7977,s6-238-277-415-0,00.html

This allows you to input your gender and race distance/times, and it gives that performance a percentage rating...  100%= World Class...  70% Regional Class  60% = Local Class....  with other scores inbetween.

For example, Janet, post #61...  with a 10K time of 00:58:04  for a 56yr old women. That scores 64.6%, which is excellent for someone who's only been running for a short time, and achieved all that weight loss. I think the time would already mark you her out as a pretty decent club runner. 

So to answer the question from the OP - I say that you can input your achieved times for 3K, 5K and 10K - and maybe also some 'target' times, and play around with it, to get a sense of average/good times.

03/10/2012 at 09:00

This thread is a mere 7 years old.

But reading back, it's quite funny how many people have ignored that the question of "good/average" time came from a female newbie, and instead have answered their own question, of what's a  good time for a hard training, male club runner between 18-40.

2 entirely different questions.

03/10/2012 at 11:31

Thanks Run Wales that's really good to know, and I will have a look at the Age Grading System you suggest. 

03/10/2012 at 12:38
Stevie G . wrote (see)

But reading back, it's quite funny how many people have ignored that the question of "good/average" time came from a female newbie, and instead have answered their own question, of what's a  good time for a hard training, male club runner between 18-40.

Being 41 I resent the inference here, Stevie!  

03/10/2012 at 13:52

Simply the age of a "senior male" rather than Vet Ratzy.

I should have put 18-39 in fairness.

18/07/2014 at 14:59

I have recently started running approx 3 weeks now.  I have entered to do a 3k park run to give me a baseline Goal with a view of working on my endurance etc...  I am a complete beginner and was wondering is completing the run within 40mins to start with okay for my age 46.   I'm not worried about what others are doing it a personal achievement and something I am currently enjoying.  Any thoughts welcome. Ali

18/07/2014 at 15:00

Please excuse typos

18/07/2014 at 16:28

It's a bit "how long is a piece of string" Ali.  I am 46 too, and am on the comeback trail following 5 years off running having kids.  Looking back to 3 weeks into my comeback, I was running approx. 39 mins for 3 miles, (I'm assuming you meant 3 miles/5k as that's the standard parkrun distance).  My time is now around 32 mins (after a patchy year and a half training).

A quick look at a couple of parkrun results show times from 16 minutes up to 50 minutes.

So all in all, 40 mins sounds like a reasonable target, and as you say, gives a benchmark for your future improvement.

18/07/2014 at 18:50

I thought the real answer to for any runner is....

Good time? Anyone racing faster than yourself.

And anyone slower can get to where you are.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 72 of 72 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.