What time makes a proper runner a runner

In response to a BBC website article

21 to 40 of 64 messages
WiB
03/09/2012 at 22:31

I will always feel like a fraud until I get David Castle's sign off for being a runner. I look forward to it.

WiB
03/09/2012 at 22:35

This blog post sums up the feelings of most of us "non-runners" I expect

http://www.chronicrunner.com/2012/09/im-not-runner.html

Pethead    pirate
03/09/2012 at 23:01

IMHO, if you've got what it takes to pin on a race number, race, leave all your energy on the road and be lying down after the finish line - you're a runner, no matter how long/fast the race is.
No motivation/desire to compete = fitness enthusiast/jogger instead...

04/09/2012 at 07:47

if thats what it boils down to i may as well give up now! *goes off to retire*

04/09/2012 at 08:00

Really, who gives a flying ferk? Who's ever heard of this bloke and what does he matter?

And anyway, I think that running fast is just so vulgar. I'm not slow, I'm an endurance athlete.

04/09/2012 at 08:07

If you ran today - you're a runner....

If you ran yesterday - you're a runner....

If you run tomorrow - you might be a runner....when you've done it...

Sadly Mr. Castle obviously thinks you're only a runner if you do that most important of events, the Holy Grail, the "MARATHON"!!!

I've got news sunshine - I couldn't give a toss about the marathon - i've never done one, I'm doing one in October purely to help support some friends, and I really couldn't care what time I finish in...

I'm an ultrarunner.... and proud of it

I'm sure Seb Chaigneau, Fernanda Maciel, Killian Jornet and all will be pleased to hear they may not be runners... I'm sure loads of my club mates who can't hit sub 3:30 will be pleased to know they're wasting their time as they're not runners....

04/09/2012 at 08:14
Muttley: "running fast is so vulgar". I think I might get a t-shirt with that on it .
04/09/2012 at 10:49

Shall we ask RW to start a new magazine called Joggers World - just for us joggers then!! We could take Muttley's comment and RR tee shirt idea -  "Joggers World where running fast is vulgar"

We better ensure that the editor doesn't say that to be a jogger you need to have jogged the whole distance, otherwise you are not a real jogger!!

04/09/2012 at 11:06
Dollyg wrote (see)

Shall we ask RW to start a new magazine called Joggers World - just for us joggers then!! We could take Muttley's comment and RR tee shirt idea -  "Joggers World where running fast is vulgar"

We better ensure that the editor doesn't say that to be a jogger you need to have jogged the whole distance, otherwise you are not a real jogger!!

That is exactly what it was called originally to try to appeal to as large a mass market as possible.

However, the publishers didnt account for the fact that there arent any joggers ..........

04/09/2012 at 12:41

Based on all my PBs I am a runner, sub 2:50, sub 1:20, etc, but all of those times are from a long time ago - I returned to running at the end of 2010 to lose weight and get fitter again at the end of my 50th year - I now run 3 minutes per mile slower than before, It occured to me sunday at the end of my 8 mile run that in the olden days I could run a half marathon quicker than I am now running 8!!! BUT and this is the important thing for me - I still consider I am a runner so for me the difference is not running speed but how you see yourself - If it was left to me I would categorise everyone as a runner,  and yes Parkrunfan is correct - Runners World started as Jogging magazine and then became Running magazine before becoming Runners World - I think Running  Fitness was originally marketed as Todays Runner in direct competition to Running Magazine - (I also think Dave Castle runs for (or used to) Tonbridge and was pretty good which may explain his attitude - I may be wrong on that too!!).

So at the end of that - to me we are all runners whatever speed we cover the ground at -

04/09/2012 at 13:00

I go out running so I'm a runner. I'm a slow runner yes, but if what I do would get me disqualified from a walking race for running, then I'm a runner.

Pretty pathetic to lie about your PB though.

04/09/2012 at 13:13

David Castle you need to do better than 4 hour marathon to be a runner!

Gerald Ratner the guy that said the jewellery in his shops did not last as long as a Marks and Spencer sandwich!

The jewellers went bust and disappeared from the high street. What was the name of the magazine ?

04/09/2012 at 13:20

I have to say I subscribe to the magazine, mostly because it used to carry a reasonable amount of ultra running coverage/articles. Now it's the same tat as everywhere else - how to run a fast 10k on only 5 minutes training every 2 years, how to buy kit as a beginner, how to lose weight by eating pies etc etc etc.... and hence why most of my subscriptions will be cancelled....

04/09/2012 at 13:52
ultrarocker wrote (see)

Now it's the same tat as everywhere else - how to run a fast 10k on only 5 minutes training every 2 years, how to buy kit as a beginner, how to lose weight by eating pies etc etc etc

04/09/2012 at 14:01

I ran my first sub40 10k this weekend so I have morphed from jogger to runner at some point on Sunday morning. It doesn't feel too different to be honest.

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 14:01
04/09/2012 at 14:03
ultrarocker wrote (see)

how to lose weight by eating pies

*subscribe*

04/09/2012 at 14:19
Running Rodent wrote (see)
Muttley: "running fast is so vulgar". I think I might get a t-shirt with that on it .
THATS FAB-LOVE IT!!
ultrarocker wrote (see)

how to run a fast 10k on only 5 minutes training every 2 years, how to buy kit as a beginner, how to lose weight by eating pies etc etc etc....

I splurted my drink reading that-v funny!! lol
Chris Shipley wrote (see)

I ran my first sub40 10k this weekend so I have morphed from jogger to runner at some point on Sunday morning. It doesn't feel too different to be honest.

Chris, how will you cope with this new title!!!

ultrarocker, being a fellow ultra person you will understand...guess those 50/60 miles we did count for nuffin then!

04/09/2012 at 14:19
I would say anyone who doesn't come first is a loser.
Anyone who doesn't train and line up at the start line is a failure.
Anyone who finishes a race is a finisher.

I guess you're not a 'proper' runner until you've finished a race?

Speed and time are irrelevant until, like in walking races, they disqualify you if you stop running.
Both feet off the ground is running.
If you stop and walk part of a race you didn't run it, you finished it, you're still a runner.

I've finished a few marathons and ultras, I've run several half marathons.
Hopefully I'll run a marathon this year if I can keep going up the hill at 21miles that everyone else around me was walking up.

I've got loads of finisher medals but no winners trophies.
04/09/2012 at 14:21

i'd like a t-shirt saying "this is my long slow run, i can actually go much faster, mate!"

04/09/2012 at 14:27
baldbloke wrote (see)

i'd like a t-shirt saying "this is my long slow run, i can actually go much faster, mate!"

Isn't that the point of Xempo running tops?

21 to 40 of 64 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.