What to do/eat in run up to 10K and half marathon?

9 messages
22/06/2009 at 20:42

Just wondered what advice anyone could give on lead up (days/weeks before) to 10K (2 weeks time) and half marathon (Sept), in terms of food/exercise...do I run day before race, what should I be eating day before/morning of race etc?

Any suggestions warmly welcomed

23/06/2009 at 11:54
it depends on each individual.  for a half mara my training schedule usually peaks about 3-4 weeks before the race and then is a little easier mileage wise.  i wouldn't normally alter my mileage for a 10km too much - the only difference would be the interval sessions may be shorter reps and my longest run would be 9 rather than 15miles.  i eat as normal for both distances.  no need to carbo load.  training wise i tend to have an extra rest day 2 weeks before and have 2 days off prior to a race.  my last speed session is usually about 5 days before the race but wouldn't be overly hard. 
23/06/2009 at 18:31

Drink plenty for a couple of days before to make sure you are hydrated.  I do make sure I have lots of carbs the day before for both distances and I make a big batch of scotch pancakes and eat them for supper the day before and breakfast on race morning.   Then a banana just before the start.

Make sure you try anything new in training first - don't leave it til race day.

24/06/2009 at 19:06

What about energy drinks, bars, gels etc? Have you considered/tried them and, if you have tried them, do they make any difference?

R

Check out my blog! The World of Running

Edited: 24/06/2009 at 19:07
24/06/2009 at 22:07

I don't do anything special for a 10k.
I don't cycle to and from work a day or two before a half. I certainly back down the training the week before but I'll still swim though carry my legs more than usual.
Staying hydrated is important. I wouldn't carb load for either distance.

25/06/2009 at 09:09
I ease off a fair bit. I don`t run for at least the 2 days before the race. Eat well but you don`t really need to `carb up` for a 10k. It is really important to be well hydrated for the few days before.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
25/06/2009 at 20:52
no need for bars or gels in a 10km.
Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
25/06/2009 at 21:28

10K - ease up on training a bit a week before, don't run the day before.

Half mara - ease up on training 2weeks before, don't run at all for two days prior.

Hydration is the most important thing, make sure you drink plenty in the 1-2 days prior to the event. Food-wise - carb up a bit for the half, but don't worry too much about the 10K. You'll have plenty of glygogen in your muscles for that. Make sure you have tried your pre-race breakfast several times so that you know that you're eating stuff that doesn't upset your stomach when you're running!

31/12/2009 at 17:28

No doubt 10k are awesome for beginners and experienced runners. I have done my share of 10k in the last few years, and yes hydration is a major factor for this event. I personally would like to add that stretching is as important to avoid any injuries. I would highly recommend 20min of stretching everyday 2wks prior to the race.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.