What to eat for breakfast?

8 messages
12/09/2009 at 17:05

Hi everyone

Fairly new to running and am doing a 10k tomorrow morning - normally run in evenings so have a light snack about an hour before i run and then dinner when i get home.

Not sure what best thing to have for breakfast - run starts at 10am - any suggestions or things to avoid?

Rach

12/09/2009 at 17:25
Unless you're used to a full English on a Sunday morning, have your normal brekky.  Bowl of porridge, banana, coffee and a pint of water, a good couple of hours before kick-off, normally does me.  Give yourself enough time to digest and keep well hydrated.  Have a good race!
12/09/2009 at 17:42

Couple of rounds of Marmite on wholemeal toast and a banana followed by a bottle of lucozade sport does it for me!

Failing the marmite on toast, try porridge. Never touched the stuff since childhood and thought I didnt like it.. .till I tried it again to benefit my running and now i love it.

Also has the effect of adding a bit of wind assitance on occasions....

12/09/2009 at 17:43

Eat what you normally would - race day is no time to be experimenting.
I have the same as PhilPub (except tea, not coffee) and it works for me. Try it on other weekend days and if it doesn't upset your tum, then I think it's as good a brekkie as you can have.

Make sure you have some pasta for din-dins tonight.

Enjoy!

12/09/2009 at 17:54

Ok then my normal bfast is a protein shake followed by banana, walnuts and bio yogurt.

Scared to drink too much water cos Ill want the toilet all the way round! But i know i need to keep hydrated.

Thanks, Rach

12/09/2009 at 17:56

Yeah, I'd say eat your normal brekkie, don't want to go experimenting on race day really.

Porridge does it for me

As for water, just drink plenty today, you won't need any on the actual 10k, and be carefull not to drink to much before the race, just sip a few hundred ml's.

12/09/2009 at 19:02
Cup of coffee, and a bowl of cereal works fine for me. If I do a long run, I will probably have something like poached egg on toast when I get back, plus energy drink.
12/09/2009 at 23:37

Hard to advise as we're all different. Personally, I avoid dairy pre-race or pre-long run, and I need to eat at least 2 hours before (3 is better). I tend to have a banana and bagel and strong coffee. For a 10K, don't worry too much about pre-race hydration.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.