what was your finish time for your first marathon?

41 to 47 of 47 messages
25/04/2012 at 20:58
6.02 - too hot + too many blisters + not enough functioning water stations.
27/04/2012 at 11:11
3.19 - last week at VLM
27/04/2012 at 11:27
4:02.

It was very hot, very hilly (Potteries Marathon) and I was 18 and stupid - very little training, and then suddenly decided to do a 22 miler 4 days before because I'd not run over 18 miles before!
27/04/2012 at 12:17

My first marathon was the London many years ago - pre ipods; sports gels etc etc

Finished in 4.12 and had trained for a year before hand by doing 3 HM's. Sitting watching the marathon the year before and decided I'd love to do it, so bought a ticket through the local travel agent (how things have changed!!).  

really enjoyed it, never 'hit the wall' and am considering applying for the ballot this year......

27/04/2012 at 12:28

4:47 - London 2005.

I had thought I might get around 4:30, and that was looking likely until about 17 miles, when it all started to get much harder!  It was a warm one, too.

I didn't really have a training plan, just increased the long runs week after week.    I know better now

27/04/2012 at 14:48
3.05. First Marathon and first year of running. Injury 5k from the end stopped 2hrs 45min. I think I have a high base of fitness due to me playing football a lot in the past. Hopefully see my times tumbling down now.
27/04/2012 at 15:53

thanks dave b that is really helpful.

I see what you mean 8 min miling is good running in the middle of a marathon.

I am doing fist marathon in a week and a half. Had my training went perfectly i thought 4hrs was an outside chance. Training didn;t go great due to some IT band problems so i am now looking at sub 4.30. I have spent a lot of time thinking and reading about pace. Early on i was thinking of starting out at 9.25-9.30 pace so the 4 was still a possibility if all went great (all my long runs up to 21.3miles were done around 9.45 pace). But everything i have read which concurs with your view suggests if you go to fast too early I will pay big time at the end. I have therefore got my sensible head on today and think i will try and set off at 9.50-10 min mile pace and try to stay steady across the course.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.