When to run again after flu type virus?

5 messages
22/11/2012 at 20:41

So, I've had this virus for just over a week now.  It's a fluey thing with fever, aching body, completely wiped out etc. alongside vile snottiness and sore throat.  I was laid up in bed for 3-4 days with a fever and have been feeling gradually better over the last couple of days, although I'm still snotty / knackered.  I missed a 10k race last Sunday which would have been absolutely impossible as I was sweating in bed. I'm quite tempted to go out for a quick 30-40 minute run tomorrow but don't want to bugger meself up.  I don't tend to get ill often at all and the last time I had any time off work (other than for the kids) was 3.5 years ago  with glandular fever. So this has been a bit of a shock to the system and I'm not sure about whether to run or not. Thoughts please?

22/11/2012 at 20:44

It sounds as if you are still unwell really . How is the resting heart rate ? if its still elevated I would leave it.if its normal just go for easy 20 - 30 mins and see how you feel . Thats what I would do anyway.

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 20:45
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/11/2012 at 06:08

If you have fever or aches and pains DO NOT RUN!  Lost count how many times I've posted this over the years, but if you have a head cold you are ok to run. If you have flu or other illnesses,  a definite no-no, you run the risk of an inflammation of the heart muscles which can lead to you never being able to exercise again or at worst, even death. I knew a very fit 25-year old in the Marines who ran 10km when he had not recovered properly from flu, and he dropped dead 30 mins after getting home from his run. I also know of  5 others who are unable to run at all any more after running when unfit. PLEASE don't do it! Rememebr the rule - symptoms above the neck, you can run, symptoms below, don't.

23/11/2012 at 09:20

Thanks Ironwolf.  I am being a numpty.  I still have aches and pains and a really sore throat- I've woken up today with no voice.  Hubby told me this morning he'd divorce me if I went out running so I think I'll give it a miss until I'm better

23/11/2012 at 09:46

+1 with IW

post-viral myocarditis is a serious condition and in young adults, causes up to 20% of all cases of sudden death.  and like IW I know someone who died after developing it - he was 32 and dropped dead shortly after a game of football having had flu the week before.

give yourself at least a week after the symptoms have subsided before starting to run again

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.