When you're watching the VLM on TV this year, will you be slightly bitter?

21 to 40 of 162 messages
23/01/2013 at 22:10
Working now.
23/01/2013 at 22:33
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
Intermanaut wrote (see)

I won't give a shit.  I don't know why people get so wound up about running "The London".  "The London"?  FFS, you vacuous nobber.  Find a decent marathon and run that instead.

Errrr, OK, so you're clearly not bitter at all about not being in the London marathon

No.  There are far better options.  Eden is excellent, and Loch Ness is equally enjoyable.

23/01/2013 at 22:34

yeh, not sure we'll be there this time - dont know yet

254 HM's pushing phil - 41 FM's - total of just over 500 races - thats pushing phil ""

23/01/2013 at 22:38
Eden, as in the Eden project in Cornwall?
Great race, did it in 2011 got a pint and a pasty at the end as well.
Not sure if it is on this yr though.
23/01/2013 at 23:10
I remember 2008 Mick I was on one side of the hi way you were on the other.
24/01/2013 at 08:39

Antwerp is the same day as london and i'll be planning to go round there. Flat course, few cobbles and i'll enjoy it every bit as I did London last year

I'm not bitter - but i've done London. Checked it off my list - now I want to try others and see what else is out there.

24/01/2013 at 08:47

i know many long term runners snub it, but its still one i want to do, its one of the most famous of not the most famous marathon in the world, i know there are better marathons and cheaper ones at that, but like many people it was one of the races/images that excited me about running when i 1st started, I will look forward to and enjoy running that event, one day.

24/01/2013 at 09:06

I'll be running it for the first time this year on my fifth attempt at entering. It'll be marathon number 11 for me.

I can't see why anyone outside the likes of micknphil who have had issues with the organisers would be bitter. Sure it's one many want to run, myself included, but after getting my rejection letter the last few years I just planned other marathons.

If you are one of the people that will only run the London marathon and no other will do because that's the one on the telly. Then are you much different to anyone else that just wants to run that one because it's on the telly and takes the charity route to do it?

24/01/2013 at 09:55
Millsy1977 wrote (see)

Eden is a really good one. Did the half marathon in 2011 (I think the marathon would finish me off!), then they had a year off in 2012, and the race will be back in 2013. It's definitely on my list of events for this year. Registration hasnt opened yet though.

The pasty and the pint afterwards were awesome!

24/01/2013 at 09:55

I'll be there this year too 

I'll enjoy my kebab on the Saturday night before the race as a reward for exceeding the 700 running miles in 2013. and I'm hoping the combination of training & chilli sauce will propel me fast enough to qualify for a GFA  time 

24/01/2013 at 09:58
Millsy1977 wrote (see)

Yes, as in Cornwall.  I, too, ran it in 2011 and very much enjoyed my pint & pasty!

24/01/2013 at 10:02
I doubt I will bother to watch it
24/01/2013 at 10:21

The London Marathon has never appealled to me. I like watching it on TV and loved being part of the RW support crew last year, but it looks too much like a marathon crossed with my daily rush hour commute. No thanks!

24/01/2013 at 10:49

i'll enjoy watching it on the telly, or if the weather's nice i might go down and watch it by tower bridge, find out if anyone in know is running it, and look out for them as they pass and cheer them on. i'll also be using it to get me into the zone for my own race in Manchester the following week.

so, no bitterness from me. I would like to race it one day, for the experience of running a huge city marathon in the city that i live and work in, but i suspect i'll need to get a GFA time. in the mean time i'll keep plugging away at the training and entering the ballot and see which happens first

24/01/2013 at 10:52

I'll probably watch the women's elite start on the telly, then trundle downstairs for my warm-up.

No bitterness from me, but I do miss the free can of London Pride in the Expo goodie bag!

24/01/2013 at 11:03

Far too busy for me, I prefer a nice day out in the country! Will watch it on the box though.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/01/2013 at 11:24

Nope - done it 6 times, that's enough.

24/01/2013 at 11:55
Marc.S wrote (see)

i know many long term runners snub it, but its still one i want to do, its one of the most famous of not the most famous marathon in the world, i know there are better marathons and cheaper ones at that, but like many people it was one of the races/images that excited me about running when i 1st started, I will look forward to and enjoy running that event, one day.

How many marathons have you done that are cheaper than London? I dont see many smaller ones that charge less than £32 (unafiliated)

If you can get in, VLM is great value for money

seren nos    pirate
24/01/2013 at 12:38

and david if you resent the kebab eating ioffice type.last year I had beer and fish and chips the night before.......a full english breakfast in the morning and then stopped at mile 17 for half an hour for a pint and some snacks.....

maybe lots will think thats a waste of a place.but it was my place i paid for it  and so could run it however i wanted to 

if i get to do London again i will do something similar as i see it as an occassion,,,, an event.... not as a race.....too may people at my pace to race it

24/01/2013 at 12:43
Awesome, if I find myself way off my target time, stopping for a pint sounds ideal.
21 to 40 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.