When you're watching the VLM on TV this year, will you be slightly bitter?

41 to 60 of 162 messages
24/01/2013 at 13:33

Deffo do it.  Saw a colleague in the crowd one year and stopped for 10 mins for a chat with him - it's a social day out, plus if you have a bit of a break you'll be able to enjoy the final, more scenic part a bit more.

24/01/2013 at 13:46

Mick n Phil.. you guys are always an inspiration

Rafiki    pirate
24/01/2013 at 13:59
seren nos wrote (see)

.....too may people at my pace to race it

Indeed, it is full of very, very slow people

+1 for Mick n Phil! See you at Wokingham in a couple of weeks!

UFO
24/01/2013 at 15:16

Nope, I've run it ten or so times and I'm fed up with it. I like to run more eclectic marathons these days.

UFO
24/01/2013 at 15:51

IMO anyone who gets a place is free to do what they like with it - if they don't train and get injured that's up to them. Why should I be bitter about it?

24/01/2013 at 16:20

Did it once, wouldn't bother again.

I don't watch it on the telly, but if the weather forecast is good, I might go up to Mudchute 

seren nos    pirate
24/01/2013 at 16:24

It doesn't make a difference if i run it sub 4 or 5:30 to anyone else but me.......so i am happy to piss about...

I think anyone who spends more than £5000 on a car is wasting money that could be put to better use.........doesn't mean I start a petition to have all their cars removed from them

24/01/2013 at 16:25

Not bitter against those that can get in through sponsorship, even if loaded, but still disappointed that I get turned down through the ballot for the last few years. I know London isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me as it's my 'home' race, a great day out for the not so serious runner, and possiby for me as I might only have one marathon in me, then I really would like to do it.

24/01/2013 at 16:50
What about the people that don't get their place in the "raffle" are they allowed to enjoy it?
24/01/2013 at 16:52
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

It doesn't make a difference if i run it sub 4 or 5:30 to anyone else but me.......so i am happy to piss about...

I think anyone who spends more than £5000 on a car is wasting money that could be put to better use.........doesn't mean I start a petition to have all their cars removed from them

But I dont think your comparison is quite right. Your analogy might be closer to the mark if say there was a classic car to be won in a raffle prize, the only one of its kind in the world. You are in the draw along with heaps of other people. Your name gets drawn out out of the hat, the car is yours. You then turn around to the crowd, pour petrol on the car and set it alight and watch it burn to the ground.

Yes, its your car, yes you have every right to do what you want with it ...... but there were many other people in the draw who intended to do something much better with the car.

Thats the analogy you are actually after.

I assume that you have never got in then David ?

seren nos    pirate
24/01/2013 at 16:52

Maybe the analogy is somewhere in the middle 

Maybe just a normal car then your anaology would fit.......

but London marathon is one of thousands of marathons each year and they are on every year so not equivalent to  a classic car one of its kind.......

and yes if someone won the fiesta and wanted to set light to it as that is the thing that would bring them most pleasure then fair enough.......people burn money everyday

24/01/2013 at 16:56

For heavens sake David, it's only a marathon.

24/01/2013 at 16:58
Wash your mouth out Wilkie. It's THE marathon.. The only one Z list celebs care about
24/01/2013 at 16:59
It's the only marathon apparently. Any of the others aren't proper ones. That's what I've heard.
24/01/2013 at 17:36

I've heard that none of the others are the same length.

24/01/2013 at 17:56

Spend enough time on here the day after VLM and you'll wonder if VLM was the right length ("My Garmin says that I ran 26.5 miles - was the course accurately measured?")...

24/01/2013 at 18:12
It's ok then my 3 London's are better than the other 12
LIVERBIRD    pirate
24/01/2013 at 18:32
Come to Muddy Wilkie!
I'll bring wine
24/01/2013 at 19:52
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Screamapillar - well I disagree, its a bit like I could burn a 10 pound note in front of Great Ormond Street Hospital .... its my money, Im free to do what I want with it ..... but we both know that I could have put that to better use. Likewise, there are lots of marathons run every year. If they really want to p..s about, why not enter one of those?

Oh don't be a knob David. You apply, if by chance you get in, you pay your money and you run, walk, skip or do as you please to get to the finish. Unless you are GFA or have a  Golden Bond place, all you've done is got lucky in a lottery. Nobody has any less right  to be there than anybody else.

And, like "them", YOU could also run any other marathon if you wanted to. So why don't you just do that and quit whingeing?

24/01/2013 at 21:13
What about club places ?
41 to 60 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.