When you're watching the VLM on TV this year, will you be slightly bitter?

121 to 140 of 191 messages
28/01/2013 at 09:29

Sounds like elitist crap to me. The very sort of thing that once put many off even trying running. If you want an elitist marathon based on time objectives from previous marathons get a Boston time.

It also elevates London to some mythical marker for marathon running when in fact it's just another marathon. It's so popular as it's broadcast on the BBC. In the same way do you think the Great North Run would attract half the numbers it does if it wasn't broadcast live every year? Simple rule broadcast things like this live every year and they will attract a greater volume of participants, veteran runners or newbies.

Let's face it are the veteran runners desperate to run it as it's the one folk have heard of because it's on the telly in any position to look down on the newbies that want to run it because they saw it on the telly? I think not. Plus, for every didn't train or even turn up for it there will be someone who ran their first of many marathons and caught the running bug.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
28/01/2013 at 10:01
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Well we may differ there seren ..... if the only way to get them off their fat a..es to do anything is to promise that they'll get to run on closed off streets in one of the worlds biggest cities with throngs of people cheering and having the whole thing telecast live on BBC1 ........then they don't deserve a spot anyway (guess which political direction I lean in by the way LOL)

But that's great, Let all the Z list celebs and the coke an chip eating munters clutter up London and get a moment of fame on the telly.. The rest of us will go and do other marathons with people who really want to train and race, Not just get their ugly mug on TV.

Do you think that if you ever get in David, your views will change ?

28/01/2013 at 10:13

Do you think that if you ever get in David, your views will change ?

Well the thing is, I only want to do it the once, to get to go past the landmarks etc etc ......My next marathon couldnt be any further removed from the hustle and bustle of London as I'll be running from Avebury to Stonehenge, lovely bit of running in the Wiltshire countryside, can't wait ..... but as much as Im looking forward to that, I would also like to be able to run past some of Londons iconic landmarks (actually technically I do that every day trying to get to the tube, but that doesnt really count) .... I certainly wouldnt want to do London every year .... but would still like to be able to do it rather than have to get to the back of the line behind Johnny Hamburger who takes the lift to get to his office desk on the first floor rather than take the stairs.

28/01/2013 at 10:16

Jealousy is such a terrible thing

28/01/2013 at 10:16

This thread is kind of making me want a burger.

28/01/2013 at 10:18

horse, beef or lamb ?

28/01/2013 at 10:22

I had an animal burger last night at the Blackheath Tea Hut.  As it happens, that must be the closest possible burger to the London Marathon start.  I've never thought of that before.

http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk/uploaded_images/Blackheath-Tea-Hut-750874.jpg

28/01/2013 at 10:25

Oh, I used to live in France so I've nothing against horse, but lamb burgers are weird. Hmm. I think we may have strayed off-topic.

28/01/2013 at 10:27
literatin wrote (see)

I think we may have strayed off-topic.

We're on page 7.  Straying off-topic is almost obligatory. 

28/01/2013 at 10:28

Phil, do you think there'll be time for a quick burger before the start on race day?

28/01/2013 at 10:29
PhilPub wrote (see)
literatin wrote (see)

I think we may have strayed off-topic.

We're on page 7.  Straying off-topic is almost obligatory. 

It's just that people keep going on about burgers and it's been a while since breakfast.

28/01/2013 at 10:29

Dont worry about straying off topic ...... to summarize.....

ME: "moan, moan ..... newbies ......moan, moan"

Everyone else: "Stop moaning ...."

I think that kind of covers the first 7 pages.

28/01/2013 at 10:32

Okay, and page 7: 'turns out runners scoff burgers all the time'...

28/01/2013 at 10:35
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Dont worry about straying off topic ...... to summarize.....

ME: "moan, moan ..... newbies ......moan, moan"

Everyone else: "Stop moaning ...."

I think that kind of covers the first 7 pages.

Ha! 

literatin - I wouldn't say all the time, but it goes down well after a 24 mile run and a lot of beer!

28/01/2013 at 10:45
Thinking about it, it was Jill Hamburger that got me into this silly sport....

I thought if Helen in the office could get round FLM so could I

15 marathons and 3 Ironmen later, I hate her !
28/01/2013 at 12:38

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it on the TV this year as I got a place in the ballot at the 1st time of trying.

I suppose I should maybe start training soon.

I wasn't even too sure if I was going to go but those burgers sound good.

28/01/2013 at 12:40
Do you need much training to scoff burgers ?
28/01/2013 at 12:47

I think you might.  

I used to work with a bloke who could eat a Big Mac in two bites.

I think he had to work at that.

28/01/2013 at 12:49

I once ate 5 Big Macs in one sitting

28/01/2013 at 13:00
I may have a burger when I finish the VLM in April or a curry, I'm not sure yet.
121 to 140 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.