When you're watching the VLM on TV this year, will you be slightly bitter?

141 to 160 of 191 messages
28/01/2013 at 13:11

I think burger beforehand and curry afterwards is probably safest. That's my plan anyway.

28/01/2013 at 13:19

Following my marathon, I'm going to eat a humungous Pizza, with chips, garlic bread and a tex mex, followed by a mound of ice cream.  After all, I see no reason to change my normal daily diet just because I've finished a race.

28/01/2013 at 13:31
PhilPub wrote (see)

I had an animal burger last night at the Blackheath Tea Hut.  As it happens, that must be the closest possible burger to the London Marathon start.  I've never thought of that before.

http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk/uploaded_images/Blackheath-Tea-Hut-750874.jpg

Oh Phil I've just gone back in time ten years to when I was a lorry driver...when I saw that I knew I was leaving London behind and would soon be on the open road.

and that reminds me - apologies for mixing my elitist marathons - of the Hot Dog stand on L'etoile just after you finish Paris, fantastic.

28/01/2013 at 13:33

David, I think we've solved your problem - set up a burger van at the finish line.

I reckon you'll make £2k profit from all these hungry finishers.  You can then use this to buy your charity place.

28/01/2013 at 13:45

Landmarks! what landmarks?

I've run London a few times. All I ever noticed was the backs of other runners, tarmac (poor quality) and loads of noise. Never realised I'd run past Buck House until I saw it on the telly.

In my kit bag I place several cans of beer with ice packs. After the marathon they go down quite nicely.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
28/01/2013 at 14:03
RicF wrote (see)

. Never realised I'd run past Buck House until I saw it on the telly.

My OH said after she did FLM, "Did they change the route I didn't notice Tower Bridge" !!!!

28/01/2013 at 14:05
stutyr wrote (see)

David, I think we've solved your problem - set up a burger van at the finish line.

I reckon you'll make £2k profit from all these hungry finishers.  You can then use this to buy your charity place.

The thing is I'd probably make everybody show me proof of their finishing time before I served them their burger, and if they took longer than say 5 hours, I would question them on what preparation they had done to see if they deserved to be served or not.

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 14:10
28/01/2013 at 14:15
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

and that reminds me - apologies for mixing my elitist marathons - of the Hot Dog stand on L'etoile just after you finish Paris, fantastic.

Dammit!  I'll have to go back and do Paris again now. 

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
28/01/2013 at 14:19
PhilPub wrote (see)

Dammit!  I'll have to go back and do Paris again now. 

I'm doing Paris this year  (They let any one, Not just fat people)

28/01/2013 at 14:28

What's your marathon time, David?

28/01/2013 at 14:42
literatin wrote (see)

What's your marathon time, David?

4:02 ........ I never said I was fast, Im just saying that people who put the effort in should at least be slightly higher up the foodchain when it comes to ballot priority.

I'd be happy for someone who clocked 5 hours to get a place instead of me ..... its the people who haven't clocked bugger all  that Im talking about here.

..and yep in case you were thinking it, a Good for Age is totally out of my league.

28/01/2013 at 14:45

Just wondering, since earlier on you said 'pretty much any woman who can post a half decent time can get a GFA'. 

28/01/2013 at 14:50

Yeah but Im new-ish to running (notice new-ish, not newbie. Im new enough that I still have a lot of improvement to do, but old enough I feel I can make statements that may or may not make me appear qualified to suggest significant changes to one of the worlds best known marathons) ........ whereas once youve been doing it for years like some of the women on here, you should be doing 3 hour 50 minute times like you were going for a Sunday stroll

Likewise this time next year if Im not well inside 4 hours, then Im going to pack in my running career and go live out my dream of being a top showjumper.

28/01/2013 at 14:53

like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter.

28/01/2013 at 15:08
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

whereas once youve been doing it for years like some of the women on here, you should be doing 3 hour 50 minute times like you were going for a Sunday stroll

Likewise this time next year if Im not well inside 4 hours, then Im going to pack in my running career and go live out my dream of being a top showjumper.

Don't do that! If you keep it up for enough years you'll get a GFA for sure by the time you're 65.
28/01/2013 at 15:12

depending how old you are now, obvs.

28/01/2013 at 15:19

If improvement is a linear thing I worked out that I should win it in 2025, you might get 2nd DF3

28/01/2013 at 15:19

Effort != Time.

Effort + Genetics = Time

seren nos    pirate
28/01/2013 at 15:23

WOW dave........4:02.............I thought you said you were a runner........

28/01/2013 at 15:28
seren nos wrote (see)

WOW dave........4:02.............I thought you said you were a runner........

Ouch! I havent been that hurt from a comment since I was 5 and I brought home a drawing to my parents who were in the kitchen and after I left the room I could hear them going 'Ha, what is it supposed to be? Who can tell what this is. I spose we'll have to put it up on the fridge to keep him happy but I dont think we've got the next picasso here ....' Then I heard the door between the kitchen and the living room shut and I couldnt hear anymore of what they said.

141 to 160 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.