Which breed of dog to run with?

Thinking of choosing a companion...

21 to 28 of 28 messages
24/10/2002 at 13:19
JC, it's only ever other people's dogs who are a pain. BTW, poodle was a good boy on his first run.
24/10/2002 at 19:23
And what's wrong with us whippets, exactly? ;-)
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
25/10/2002 at 20:19
JC - look at it from the other side for once. I run 99% of the time in a forest. When doing marathon training I can be out there for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and far from home and civilization. With my 'wolf pack' in attendance I'm never worried, and my husband doesn't bother about me being out on my own in lonely woods.
26/10/2002 at 10:40
I agree that other peoples dogs are the problem, even the friendly ones. My lab is a bit young yet (10 months), but we've done some short off road runs. I have to say that its enjoyable, although not ideal from the training point of view. He stops to sniff and once decided that the quickest route to a point of interest was between my legs, so I had an unscheduled lie down.

He is a frim believer in picking up snacks, usually to eat later - so far the tally is three voles, one wood pigeon, one squirrel and a nest of pheasant eggs.
Roz
30/10/2002 at 09:08
As I've wrote before on a previous thread, I take my german shepherd with me. He is still young (2 yrs) but has learnt basic commands so he will heel when I say so (the lead is on when we are near roads). He is good company, has made me laugh when he falls in water (he hates water) and makes me run that bit faster to keep up with him. As for other dogs, they are more interested in him than me so I'm off the menu then!
30/10/2002 at 09:31
I got Daisy before I started running but she is an excellent running companion. She is a Beagle and just seems to understand about running, and running and running. She always runs forward. I asked the vet how far could she safely run for and he said that I didn't need to worry about it - I would never outrun a Beagle.

Beagles are very friendly and tolerant, excellent with children, small to medium so more containable than a Lab. They are rather characterful so Daisy was rather lively as a puppy but now that she's two she's become a very biddable dog.

Good luck with your search
30/10/2002 at 11:23
Awww... all this doggy talk makes me miss my Ben so much! I never went running with him though, even though he was a greyhound! Greyhounds are not made for stamina, just speed - short, bursts of speed. Hope you do decide on a rescue dog - there are so many dogs absolutely desperate for good homes.. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/10/2002 at 17:54
Yes, do let us know what you decide on and how you get on. I've had hours and hours of fun running with mine.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.