Whiffy Shoes

Where's the Cat?

11 messages
16/08/2002 at 07:32
If the smelly stuff is getting into the fabric on top, then this probably means washing them every time you run, which would obviously be a problem, as they take a while to dry (BTW - I put a pair of trainers in the hot air dry cycle of my washing machine - and the glue melted and I ended up with a pair of completely knackered new £70 shoes).

To get the mud etc off the underside and edges, I put an inch or so of water in a bowl, and stick the shoes in there, using an old toothbrush to get off the stubborn bits and bits around the edges. You can then tip the dirty water down the sink.

HTH, Iain
16/08/2002 at 10:06
Eek don't put your trainers in the washing machine! Apparently this destroys the cushioning and gel bits that are in your trainers - they will not last! Are you sure its not your feet as well? Odoreaters are quite good.
WildWill    pirate
16/08/2002 at 10:14
Have a look at "Trainer Tamers" about £3-£4

They are basically super strong OdorEaters specially designed for trainers

Plus alternating between two pairs of trainers is a good strategy anyway as this gives the shoes time to recover

Will
16/08/2002 at 11:55
I've also seen "trainer cleaning gel" - I think I saw it in JJB sports, although I wouldn't swear to that, and I haven't tried it at all.
16/08/2002 at 12:31
For the outside, if I've been somewhere muddy, I use an old nailbrush and detach the shower head to rinse them. You can get the outside pretty clean without soaking the inside, so they take less time to dry.

For the insides, Febreeze spray is pretty good. Also, removing the insoles occasionally and washing them only helps a lot.
16/08/2002 at 12:39
I missed a comma. Should have read: washing them only, (as opposed to washing the whole shoe) helps a lot.

Can we have the edit facility back please..........
16/08/2002 at 12:51
My DaD SUGGESested using a bit of fresh air spray - you know the stuff, big aerosol can with pretty pictures of flowers on the front. Seems to work for my stinky shoes.
16/08/2002 at 13:28
Sounds mad, but some days I actually wash my feet before putting on my trainers for a run. In the summer, wearing certain sandals/shoes can make my feet stink (why some do and some don't I really don't know!), and I don't want to then transmit the stench to my running shoes.

It's worked so far ...
19/08/2002 at 08:49
Top tips :
Use 2-3 pairs as WW suggests , allowing them to dry out between outings
Use that spray that deoderises (one free in this years FLM goody bag, I think its made by Scholl
If they get too bad put them in the washing machine.I have several pairs of Asics that have been through the wash and it doesn't appear to have done them any harm (but maybe I shouldn't have put them in with the wife's 'white wash'.....)
19/08/2002 at 21:41
Aren't sheep notoriously frightened of everything? I did some travel guide writing a number of years ago, and there was lots of info about not disturbing the sheep, otherwise nasty consequences (such as pregnant sheep loosing their lambs) migh occur. But have never tested this out though. So perhaps a sheep peeing is A) to be expected, and B) better than possible alternatives.

Or maybe the sheep are simply trying to include you into their flock, as you obviously don't yet have the correct sheepy smell.
20/08/2002 at 12:14
I use Dettox anti-bacterial kitchen spray stuff in my whiffy trainers. It works a treat for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.