Whisky Connoisseurs

Drink responsibly (don't try and run at the same time)

241 to 255 of 255 messages
13/08/2004 at 15:10
Okay, another trip to Colchester and the fabulous 'Just Miniatures' (www.justminiatures.co.uk) is looming.

I'm open to orders for anyone who doesn't mind collecting from Milton Keynes (I work in the city centre and live about ten minutes away).
13/08/2004 at 15:26
Dr G - the Macallan 18yo is £59 from Loch Fyne Whiskies.
19/10/2004 at 19:15
Thanks to the wonders of the new search facility, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

New addition to the collection - Bowmore Legend. A present from Mrs SVT as a reward for completing my first marathon. It's definitely an Islay, but less 'in your face' than my other Islays (Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphraoig). I'm yet to decide whether that subtlety is a good thing, or whether I prefer an Islay to blast my senses. Must try it again, just to see...
30/11/2004 at 14:16
See 'Islay Half-Marathon' under 'Events'...
30/11/2004 at 14:26
Ardbeg at only £14 in Morrisons last night
30/11/2004 at 14:29
If only I needed a new bottle of Ardbeg...

St Andrew's day today - perfect excuse for a dram.
30/11/2004 at 14:32
My problem as well !!! ( I had to laugh at the Tobermoray for only £18... That's 3 quid less than they were selling it at.......... The Distillery a couple of weeks back !)
04/12/2004 at 22:07
Am thinking of getting Dr Galah Snr a selection from Just Miniatures for Christmas - should I go with the Classic Malts Gift Set (Dalwhinnie 15, Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10, Oban 14, Glenkinchie 10 Cragganmore 12 + tasting note booklet), or can you advise a better half dozen collection?
05/12/2004 at 00:00
Just got back from three days in Edinburgh where I found a little corner of heaven called "Cadenhead's". They are an independent whisky bottler who buy single casks from various distilleries and bottle them. They boast over 100 single cask whiskies and are delighted to let you taste a few before making your choice. I chose a 15 year old Glenturret and Mrs W opted for a 12 year old Rosebank. Both of these knock spots off anything else I've got in my collection (even my 18 year old Glenturret). If you are ever in Edinburgh I can recommend a visit. The shop is on the Royal Mile, towards the bottom end. Take you credit card!

I think they also have a shop in Covent Garden.
05/12/2004 at 14:43
Without searching this thread, I have vague recollections of someone mentioning that Waitrose does decent own-brand malts. Although I may have got that completely wrong. As I now work near one, it would be rude not to test them out. Any tips?

Now where is my nearest Morrisons......
06/12/2004 at 11:25
Dr G - that sounds like a damn fine collection. Well, it's got my two favourites in anyway! Fancy doing the Isaly half in August?

Ebeneezer - Tim's a big fan of the Waitrose one (I think it's a 21-year old?).
01/01/2005 at 13:07
No big bottles this year, and not much in the way of gift-boxed miniatures either...

Miniature Glenfiddich (nice, but already have a bottle)

Twin pack of Glenmorangie miniatures - again, I already have the 10-year old. But the Port Wood Finish - mmmmmmm! Had that as my new year dram, and it was wonderful.

Glenlivet miniature (okay, but uninspiring), packaged with a tasting glass. Now that's a useful present! Really brought out the aroma/smell/scent/nose/whatever-the-technical-term-is of the Glenmorangie in particular.

Hope everyone got considerably more whisky than me!
01/01/2005 at 16:41
My favorite pub in Nottingham, The Lincolnshire Poacher, has about 70/80 malts which Iam working my way through. Last week got onto the Glenfarclas 105, beautiful.
01/01/2005 at 17:02
Oooh, my kind of thread.

I've got:

Caol Ila 12yr
Caol Ila 18yr
Caol Ila cask strength
Talisker
Ardbeg 10yr
Lagavulin distiller's edition
Macallan 10yr
Bruichladdich 20yr

Each of them like a favourite child in their own way.
01/01/2005 at 17:04
Lets raise a glass.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
241 to 255 of 255 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.