Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

10,241 to 10,260 of 15,593 messages
29/09/2012 at 19:28

Hi all,

Long time no post but would have felt a bit of a fraud as al my training has been NOC lately. Was out early-ish this morning though for an 11 mile jaunt across the MOD land then National Trust and then RSPB and then Forestry Commission so covered most of the main UK landowners. Steelman didn't happen last weekend (for me that is) as it clashed with the start of my son's term at Nottingham Uni and we spent the day transporting Richard and most of his belongings back to his digs in Lenton. Will be up early tomorrow for a Sprint Tri at Thorpe Park. Registration starts at 6:30 and the race kicks off at 8am. 

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weekend. Will report back after the race tomorrow.

29/09/2012 at 20:09

Evening you lot

valis: Two good 1 goal away wins at Arsenal and Forres Mechanics respectively today

Chris: It's good to have you back with us. All the best for tomorrows Sprint Tri.

29/09/2012 at 20:15

have fun tomorrow Chris

29/09/2012 at 20:19

Evening Maths.

30/09/2012 at 07:34

Good Morning all

6 miles this morning, I did plan more however a late night at a nephews birthday saw me get up a bit later than I wanted this morning also felt a bit heavy legged.

Birky, All going well so far.

Chris , Good luck

30/09/2012 at 08:12

morning all

still no running as I am still getting over the lurgey

have a nice Sunday everyone

PSC    pirate
30/09/2012 at 09:03

morning gang.... I'm being pleasantly idle this morning and watching the Brownlee's on telly.  

Valis, re your question (weakest discipline), I'm not sure.  Probably swimming, but as I know that it takes stupid amounts of training to improve I am happy to be swim fit but make no attempt to beat my time in the water.  An IM swim takes me about 1:30 hrs which is fine for me.....  The biggest improvement I made at my last IM was the bike and there is still much more I can do.  I didn't quite break 6 hours which I reckon would be relatively easy with some better training.  As for the run, well one foot in front of another isn't it  The race report form my last IM is HERE .  If I actually think about it transitions are my weakest skill.  Its like shopping, I stand there saying to myself, now what do I need for the bike or the run... erm.  I keep kidding myself that I am good enough to develop my race plan on the hoof; the reality of course is that you need to set the race plan before the race!

Hope the racers are having fun at Hever... I'm glad I'm not getting into water at 14 degrees.... brrrrrrr

Chris, good to see you back.  And don't be soft - you're no fraud just because you have been NOC running and not out at SOC!  

30/09/2012 at 11:12

Morning L&G

Finally saw the Fratton boys win yesterday. Turgid stuff, but hey first home win.

Sunday morrning seems as an appropriate time as any for confessions. No SOC since the New Forest marathon. Felt very tired all week. Two marathons in eight days is quite enough for this fast ageing so and so. However, I fall back on the fact that I have completed 3 halfs and 5 fulls in my first year of running. I have my first overseas marathon next Sunday, OK it's just across the Solent. Will definitely get one or two shortish runs in before boarding the ferry.

I doth my cap (yep the  nasty cheap one from Sports Direct ) to you all. Especially the tri-people. Surprised not to see  a race report up from the assassin. 

It's a father and son weekend here, girls up to the in-laws, so lunch will be from the pub by the harbour.

30/09/2012 at 12:09

Morning..

Triathlon went well this morning despite the early start and chilly water. I need to speed up my swim/bike transition time though; it took me ages to get my feet out of my wetsuit and then forever to get my socks on because I've got a sore back at the moment (from dragging a heavy rowing boat up and down the beach in Ireland) and so I couldn't bend over properly and had to sit down to put them on! It was frustrating to get out of the water ahead of people only to see them race off on their bikes while I was still faffing around in transition! Anyway, I made up quite a few places on the cycle leg and a few more on the run so not too bad. Looking forward to hearing how Kate got on at Hever.

Maths - hope you're over the worst of the lurgey. PSC - I'll check out your IM report, I'm contemplating doing one next year as I've deferred my MDS entry until 2014 so that I can try to save up some more cash to pay for it!

30/09/2012 at 12:33

Chris - well done. I am rubbish at transition too.

PSC - loved your IM report.

5:30 - 5 fulls in your first year of running? that is good going, no wonder you need a little rest

30/09/2012 at 17:44

Afternoon all - lots of cross training, football and tri on here! Sorry you're feeling grotty MC, and Chris, we all have a little bit of NOC in us. Impressive racing (sorry entering races) for your first year 5.30. PSC, I will leave your report until I find out whether I am accepted on this training thing and there's no going back!

So, the assassin was taken down by her husband. The water was unbearably cold but only 2 mind behind Mr F on the swim, which upset him no end, but he crucified me on the bike, there was quite a lot of downhill and I'm a scaredy cat and hung onto the brakes. Took 4 mins on the run but he beat me by 5 mins overall. Very strange getting my medal presented by Henry VIII. TG, I thought the charging for spectators was pretty off, if you're there to support it's unlikely you'll trundle round the castle. Well organised, very pretty route, you live in a nice part of the world, this is why I can't bring myself to go to Dorney, I'm slow and I like the views!

So today was the first cross country of the season, we've joined a new league, before it was all women and now we play with the boys, our ladies team announced themselves with a win! I have to say my time did not contribute but I basked in the reflected glory. 5 miles through the mud then home for 11 miles on the roads, a last minute panic re Abingindon, needless to say tired out now. Birky, good luck with your first day at work tomorrow, and get well soon MC. Valis, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to schedule in a late night on the pop. Sunday evening, I had better make Mr F (tri hero) his long awaited curry, as it's not a dish which goes well with a wetsuit, and open water season is well and truly over.

30/09/2012 at 18:25

Kate - well done on the tri and the cross country. I am rubbish at going downhill too - it terrifies me. I laughed when I read the race brief for a tri once saying you had to stick to speed limits, thinking how could anyone go over 30mph? But going down one of the hills on the last course I clocked up 26mph and that was with the brakes on a bit! Wonder what speeds the top guys did down that hill and whether they in fact broke the speed limit

decided I am going to take tomorrow off, I hate being off work but have been feeling really light headed, can't imagine the pandemonium in my classroom if I fainted!

PSC    pirate
30/09/2012 at 18:35

there is nothing more enjoyable than setting off speed cameras on a push bike.  (apparently)!  ;)

Kate - a pretty solid weekend by the sounds of it.  Curry and vino now would be my advice....

30/09/2012 at 19:16

I guess they can't fine you as they don't know who you are so long as there isn't a police car around....

30/09/2012 at 19:34

but if there is a police car around...

triathlete speeding

01/10/2012 at 06:02

Morning you lot

4M Fartlek today easing back into it. NW: 1 owl, 1 Full Moon, very bright and clear this morning

5:30am: A win is a win.

Need to fully catch up

Younger son is 17 tomorrow.

PSC    pirate
01/10/2012 at 07:20

drizzly windy but mild in Kent... light enough to run the trails before sun rise.

Its an interesting point about speeding as a bike doesn't have a speedo, so how do you know you are speeding...?

01/10/2012 at 07:23

morning

PSC - you have a good point there.

no run for me, starting to feel more like myself but taking the day off work. Having said that I have loads of marking so will get that done but get plenty of rest too ready to join life again tomorrow

01/10/2012 at 07:37

Morning all - joining Chris in the NOC club today, run, gym, spin later. October is making its mark, dark and drizzly morning for the SOC commute.

01/10/2012 at 09:07

Don't normally post here because I don't normally run that early. Technically this morning, I didn't get up early TO run. I was just up early anyway (4am woken by the baby and couldn't get back to sleep) and decided to get out and do the run I should have done yesterday. So, out the door just after five and back home before seven. A slow ten miler. Had to wear the head torch for only the second time and for much longer than I did the first time. Was glad to ditch it at the six mile mark as it was really starting to get uncomfortable.

Nice to be out so early though, not another soul to be seen.

10,241 to 10,260 of 15,593 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.