Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

10,261 to 10,280 of 16,798 messages
01/10/2012 at 10:23

Morning all, I had my first SOC for a while and it was really dark. One of the things that i've noticed is bikers in my area are really not safe: no lights, no hi viz along main roads is just dangerous.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

01/10/2012 at 14:20

Managed to get out for a long (for me) SOC run on Satuday. Was very disappointed when I got back to see that the app on my pone had recorded I had only done 13 miles in a slower time than I had done 13.5miles the week before.

Thankfully, when I checked online it was clear the GPS signals had not been picked up very well and once the route had been plotted without the various "short-cuts" it should a distance just short of 15 miles. Whilst the per mile time was slower han last week it, the predicted marathon time was only 7 minutes longer.

I have had yesterday and today off and plan to be up and out @ SOC tomorrow for 5/6 miles before work.

01/10/2012 at 15:20

I have the same phone app problem since upgrading to the HTC One X. It's really annoying when I've been out running for over an hour and, according to the endomondo app, I've only covered 3 miles! It also affects the Sat Nav function which sometimes tries to send me off in all sorts of strange directions when I'm driving! Apparently there's a bug affecting the new HTC phone. Should have stuck with my old one!

No run this morning but planning a row tonight if my sore back feels up to it. Probably not the most sensible of workouts with back pain though!

01/10/2012 at 17:13

Hi all,

So now that the Autumn is really in I'm finding it difficult to get out for my morning runs. I had taken to running on the footpaths on the main roads as opposed to the greenway where I run on bright summer mornings. I alway find running in the mornings suits me- i run better and i get a better start to the day. Also, if I come in after a day of work and sit down there will be no getting me out the door to run. I like to get out for at least an hour in the mornings. I live near Canning Town and I'm just not sure how safe it is to run at 5.30 or 6am in the dark. I would be on the main road so maybe I am just being paranoid. Anybody else having this problem? All suggestions welcome

01/10/2012 at 17:19

hi sandy

I think at 5:30 am it is pretty safe. I don't know the area where you live, but on main roads you should be fine, and the only people around tend to be milkmen and people going to work, there aren't many drunken idiots around at that time in the morning. You could always make sure you have a phone and an attack alarm if you feel unsafe, and make sure you know what route you are running and where there might be newsagents etc around in case you ever feel threatened and need somewhere to go to in a situation

01/10/2012 at 17:40

Agree with Mathschick. I feel safer running at 5am than 9pm but just make sure that you're being safe

PSC    pirate
01/10/2012 at 22:04

Sandy, although clearly I'm a bloke, I agree with the others in that you will be much safer in the morning.  A good tip is to vary your routes so that you don't become predicatable just in case, but to be honest most thugs and freaks are tucked up in bed in the mornings and only at large in the evenings when the pubs are open!

Welcome to Matt.  SOC running is the way ahead. 

PSC    pirate
02/10/2012 at 06:36

morning.....

off on my bike soon!  Torch required...

02/10/2012 at 06:42

Good morning all

10 miles this morning warm and dry

Nw 1 mouse that ran across the path in front of me.

Off work this week so yesterday normally a rest day I went for a 5 mile NOC run. Went out the door in to the pouring rain thinking about everyone else working with a big grin on my face. Thursdays Mrs V's birthday so after morning run off to Tate Britain for a pre-raphaelite exhibition then a meal out.

Sandy, Welcome I agree with all the above advice and would add when I have encountered  inebriated people on their way home from house parties and clubs I have received applause and shouts of fair play mate. only on two occasions have I had idiots try to run with me which never lasts more than a few seconds and on paths with no lighting I think those I have come across are more shocked or scarred at the sight of a figure seemingly at speed (ambling slowly) coming out of the darkness towards them .

Kate ,On Saturday I did very well and restrained myself to just 4 pints of ale and had a pint of water between everyone.After all one must stay hydrated

Hi and waves to all

02/10/2012 at 07:06

Morning all - I am only popping in briefly as I have the lurgy and don't want to infect anyone else, crawled into bed yesterday afternoon and was banned from an SOC by Mr F on the basis I haven't eaten for 24 hours. Which is unheard of. Welcome along to the new people, and enjoy the week off valis. Emmy, you can add the bikes to your NC (ninja cyclist) count.

02/10/2012 at 08:07

morning all

back at work, no soc but am planning on going to running club tonight. Their plan says 60sec efforts, so should be a good session. Wonder how many of the efforts we will do.

Kate - hope you get better soon. My lurgy really knocked me out for the weekend which was a pain.

02/10/2012 at 08:31

@KateF - get well soon! I'll definitely be adding NC to the count.

I aimed to go out this morning but ended up hitting the snooze. It was a good thing as it turned out as it was pelting with rain. Hoping to head out tonight at LOC (late o'clock)

02/10/2012 at 09:28

Kate after your tri defeat this has all the hallmarks that you may have been nobbled beforehand. What did he do?  spike the wine? extra additives in the dinner?

You need to nip this in the bud. It's no way to "run" a successful marriage.

.......Well done Mr F..........

Oh get well soon........

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 10:09
02/10/2012 at 11:14

Morning..

Out at SOC this morning for a few x/country miles. Had the place to myself apart from a couple of border collies and their owner and some distant squaddies. Thankfully my sore back seems to be on the mend thanks to loads of stretching last night and another session this morning. 

Kate - I reckon you must have caught the lurgey from mathschick. She carried on posting here when she was ill and has probably infected all of us!

02/10/2012 at 12:14

02/10/2012 at 12:15

oh that is odd, I had typed something!

02/10/2012 at 12:20

Maybe it's Kate F's sickness infecting the thread? From what i've heard - most people are catching a bug at the moment so maybe RW is next?

02/10/2012 at 12:40

OK, I will stay away!

02/10/2012 at 13:10

Good afternoon all, treadmill 5 last night watching series 3 of The Wire, day off work today so got up for a casual 8.00am start for an 11 miler, NW pretty scarce this morning at that time apart from a few pheasants and a frog that I almost stood on. No Kingsmill vans for me but an Apache helicoptor I'm sure tracking me!.  Back to SOC for the rest of the week.

02/10/2012 at 13:48

Come back Kate F It's better for us to get it and let it be over with!

10,261 to 10,280 of 16,798 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.