Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

10,341 to 10,360 of 16,201 messages
05/10/2012 at 10:14

Good to see some new SOC's. Welcome Tiny, Leighton & Craiggers!

Really struggled getting up this week - mainly due to our youngest teething!

I have a 18/19 mile SOC planned for tomorrow as my final long run before BH. just got to work out how totaper and what I should be eating over the next few weeks. The roue planned has quite a few hills in it, going around Ashdown Forest so if it's clear the views will be worth it.

05/10/2012 at 15:21

5:30 - what is your business?

celtic - enjoy your run - the weather is forecast to be fairly nice

I am off to clumber park for a 10k tomorrow morning, so shall be up pretty early

05/10/2012 at 16:09

Hi all .

I was out at 5:35 and all i can say that i do need a torch or something !

Done a 4miler from town to village via road paths that not all were lit - all of course with a hivis on.

Runkpr 

05/10/2012 at 16:32

Quick question, how long did it take people to start running at about 10miles a day? I've just started, but I've been doing 100 and 200 metre sprints and long jump. I'm trying to get better outside of the track to! 

05/10/2012 at 16:36
I'm running about 3 miles a day now. Not 100metres for those wondering. Haha 
Edited: 05/10/2012 at 16:44
05/10/2012 at 16:55

I don't run 10 miles a day - the hardcore ones on here that do that kind of mileage are crazy people that run ultras.

however, you can build up your weekly long run to get up to about 10 miles, don't rush it though as you will end up injured. If you are running 3 miles, why not find a 10k training plan and aim to do a 10k around xmas time? from 10k it isn't too much to build up to a half marathon....

05/10/2012 at 16:59

Yeah  I think I might do that, and I don't want to run 10miles a day anyway, I doubt I'd have the time and energy!  

05/10/2012 at 18:38

@Mathshick... then i'm a crazy one I'll run 10 miles as part of a mid week long run for marathon training 

05/10/2012 at 18:49

emmy - I would probably do 10 miles midweek if I could run fast enough to fit it in before work!

the question was about 10 miles a day I think, which is a lot, but I am pretty sure valis were doing that in the run up to the thames path 100.....as I said crazy doing an ultra...

05/10/2012 at 19:04

maybe if your job involves sitting down most of the time then 10 miles a day isn't that bad,not that i will be trying it.

05/10/2012 at 19:47

Evening

Chapper: Welcome another convert to SOC.

Catch up again.

05/10/2012 at 19:49

Kate: No no BMWs thi smorning orany  Kingsmill Vans. Ran another route for a wee change. It was kinda foggy and there were a few street lights out too.

05/10/2012 at 20:09

Hi Mathschick, that's a good point. I know that on the P&D plan - that's the "normal" sort of mileage but for us mere mortals - it's OK as part of a midweek run.

At the moment for my MWLR - i get up at 5am to fit it in before work!

05/10/2012 at 20:35
I would like to run more miles, but I'm quite bad at time keeping. It takes me a while to get breakfast mainly because I don't know what you're supposed to eat. And I have to fit in a shower when I come home.
05/10/2012 at 21:27

emmy - the earliest I get up is 4, and the most I have managed to run is around 8 miles before needing to be home and getting ready for work. I am guessing that if I could run 10 miles in a little over an hour, then I would do 10 miles a day easily, but I doubt I will ever be that quick

craigerrs - I don't eat before running, a bowl of porridge afterwards (I make it in the microwave) and a shower.

PSC    pirate
06/10/2012 at 07:04

CelticRunner - the Ashdown Forest is lovely.  Eat normally in your taper, maybe shift the balance to carbs not meat, and keep the vitimins going.  Fibre is said to be lower priority, but without it you will end up in trouble.  I'm a great believer that most of us interpret "carbo loading" with "eat too much then some more".. so that by race day we feel stuffed/bloated and have a poor run.

Craigerrs - why do you want to run 10 miles a day?  What is your target/goal, what are you training for?  Most high mileage athletes will mix up track work with long and slow runs, interval training, cross training, etc etc.  They are also likely to run twice a day or more so many are not simply banging out endless repeats of 10 miles or more.  You need to do this if you are going for an ultra, although frankly even then I wouldn't bother.  70 mile weeks are something that take years to work up to - diving straight into them is a sure way of developing an excellent relationship with your local physio and sports masseuse.  Eat after running - you need a mix of carb and protein within half an hour of running.  A glass of semi skimmed milk is perfect recovery fuel.  Then cereals/toast/fruit to set you up for the day.  Take care....

Chappers - welcome to the nut house.

It's pi$$ing down so I am going to go swimming.  It's going to be horrible as I haven't been for a year.  So already looking forward to some massive micky taking from my old masters buddies...   Will run later.

Morning all.....  and good luck to the racers.  How is Kate feeling?

06/10/2012 at 07:28
I still do a lot of sprint training, mainly because 100m is my event. I never knew you ate after running! It'll save me a lot of time. I'm trying to build .1 miles per day.
PSC    pirate
06/10/2012 at 07:34

10% / week is the rate to build and then drop back every 4th week to recover a bit....  slowly slowly catch a monkey

06/10/2012 at 08:22

That's true, I'm joining an athletics club soon anyway. One of the parts I'm doing with it is endurance, working on my sprints is the other part I'm going to be doing. 

06/10/2012 at 08:38

Mornng you lot

Morning psc and craigerrs

Lovely sunny/cold autumnal day up here. Just walked Geordie for 1.5 hrs. He's happily tired.

10,341 to 10,360 of 16,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.