Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

10,561 to 10,580 of 15,560 messages
Tommygun2    pirate
23/10/2012 at 11:37

Hi BeanieBum,

Only bit of advise I can gve is don't over dress, basic rule of thumb is that you should feel a little chilly at the start of your run. Then as you get into the miles you will soon warm up. I used to over dress with gloves hat jacket and long tights only to find that I had to take most of it off. Its abit trail and error  

Oh and be very careful when the roads start to ice up, in fact its about the only weather that stops me running.

23/10/2012 at 11:50

hi beanie and welcome to the thread

you won't need much for the winter, although I did end up getting some thermal running tights last year as I found my bum and thighs got quite cold, and I preferred an earwamer type thing to a hat - basically the hat didn't fit once I tied my hair up, and it was really my ears that got cold. Not silly ear muffs, but like a headband that covered my ears, though it muffled sound which was odd till I got used to it. Only only really thin gloves

23/10/2012 at 12:17

Thanks Tommygun and mathschick!

I have bought some thicker running tights and a Brooks Nightlife Infiniti long sleeve top - which, mathschick, has a hood with a hole at the back to stick your ponytail/bun through.  I tried it on last night - even though I slightly resemble ET sitting in the front basket of Elliot's bike, I can tell it's practical and not too thick and bulky.  I have some Nike gloves too - as I said, I haev been stocking up!  But I still get quite hot out at the moment in a thin running jacket so hopefully it will be a while until I try these out.  The ice will be a problem if it snows near me - the last couple of years, the snow compacted into ice and the pavements were trecherous.  I was thinking about investing in some Yaktrax Pro ice grips ... they will even help me out walking to the train station for work in the morning. 

Anyway, sorry, don't want to turn this thread into a winter running one, back to the subject!  Nice to meet all you early runners!

23/10/2012 at 16:29

I'm the same BeanieBum. My friends think I'm crazy! They don't run so I just tell them that's why the don't get it. And as of right now I wear a t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms and a zippy hoodie. I definitely need to get hi-viz and warmer clothes soon though. 

24/10/2012 at 05:13

Morning all - heading out a little later this morning as I have another coaching session, legs still a little shredded after Sunday and track training last night. Welcome Beanie, don't worry, as soon as the weather gets cold all of the RW forum gets turned into the subject of running in the cold/snow. Right, better fit in a few hours work before I head off out, happy hump day all.

24/10/2012 at 05:25

Good morning all

2 miles run this fine warm morning and apart from a twinge hear and a pain there chest felt fine. though the last mile felt like the end of a marathon.

Nw 1 fox.

While ive not been running brought myself a hrt monitor to go with my garmin due to the A&E staff being suprised with my 45 bpm resting heart rate. I wanted to see what its doing when I'm running . also working on a blog off sorts will post a link here in a few days. Please feel free to let me know on the blog how good /bad its is.

Thames tow path 100 is off as its going to be a couple of weeks at least till my milage gets up ,C2C might be possible but I am  not  going to hold my breath (forgive the pun) and Brighton mara which I was going to put off to 2013 as it was to close to 100 is now back on I hope.

PSC Well done on duathlon and a belatted happy birthday.

Tommy, Sorry to hear about your friend.

Kate , well done on the sub 4

Birky, a frustrating night ,they never settled rushed too much instaed of playing their own game

Beanie,

A plus one for the yaktrax had some for two years now. They are great should you be running on paths or roads there's no problem as long as there is no break in the snow or ice, should you encounter pavement or road bare of the white stuff then treat those  areas as being as slippy as ice without yaktrax. I have mostly used mine in a park so when there's no ice it's not such a problem as they will dig in to frozen earth.

Till tomorrow wave to everyone.

24/10/2012 at 05:44

Morning  you lot

Valis;Yeah a very disappointed fro Blue slast night. Annoying

Beanie: Welcome to our madhouse.

Morning Kate: I love early morning runs in freshly fallen snow.

4.5M Steadily run. Mild morningnowind or rain up here rare but welcoming

NW: 1 owl, 3 German buses, 1 Morrisons Van, 1 kKngsmill Van, 2 cylists. 2 horses, 1 cat ,

24/10/2012 at 06:07

Beaniebun: Be very careful of black ice when running at SOC. Also drivers think they are okay when only clearing a small part of their cars windscreen when its icy/snowing.

PSC    pirate
24/10/2012 at 06:32
Morning peeps.

Another gentle start to the day for me. I love winter running. Running in the snow requires good posture and some trail shoes and a big grin. Ice is a bit scarier, but if you can get off the roads/pavements life gets much grippier. As for clothes, thin layers is what's required. Then you can adjust on the fly.

As for running in the dark, check out this site. http://illuminite.com/ I found it years ago and their kit is first class. It's a US site so cheap and delivery is really quick.
24/10/2012 at 06:33

Morning psc.

PSC    pirate
24/10/2012 at 06:47

morning...

I've just had another look at that site.  They are pretty low on stock at the moment so not a good time be searching it!

24/10/2012 at 08:31

Morning Kate, Valis, PSC and Birky.  Still warm here but the fog holding especially in the wooded areas so made my run quite difficult this morning, especially where there are lots of leaves on the trail and you can't make out the edges of the paths or see the mud quite as easily.  5.6 miles steadier than I expected.  So dark didn't think I would see anything, but one muntjac ran across in front of me and a couple of owls seemed annoyed with me with a lot of hooting.

24/10/2012 at 08:44

morning

valis - good to see you are back running, shame you are havng to postpone some of your events

no soc for me today - I would have been swimming but ended up having a late night - the kids had been in London with my mum but train was delayed by more than 2 hours coming back so they didn't get home till after 11. I am determined to get some decent sleep as it is half term

gym and physio later

Tommygun2    pirate
24/10/2012 at 09:08

Morning No run today last one tomorrow before Beachy

Sounds like its going to be cold on Saturday brrrr part of the Beachy Head are very exposed so it could get interesting.

Glad you are back on the mend Valis and I will await the blog.

Morning everyone else

24/10/2012 at 15:26
I think I'm finally over my leg injury, I'm going for a run tonight to check then it's back to early mornings tomorrow! (hopefully)
24/10/2012 at 17:51

craigerrs - hope your leg is ok

I am going to attempt to run tomorrow and see what happens. I have been to the physio - the problem is ITB,she said to try to train as normal but don't run through pain.

24/10/2012 at 19:07

Evening

Craigerrs: Hope the leg is fully better.

Tommy: All the best for Beachy.

25/10/2012 at 05:48

Morning

Quite a mild morning,dry and little wind.

NW: 1 owl, 1 robin redbreast sitting on top of our garden fence, 1 Kingsmill Van, 1 Morrisons Van, 2 Post Office Vans. 1 cyclist.

PW: 1 car

25/10/2012 at 06:45

Morning birky, morning all - very mild, shorts and t shirt and was still overheating, just 5 miles as I'm whizzing off to a thrilling conference today NW 1 fox. Have a good day folks.

PSC    pirate
25/10/2012 at 07:12

ah, the champagne lifestyle of the high flyer

Morning early risers...

45 mins of recovery plod for me.  Knowing I would be going slowly I put longs on... huge mistake!  As you say Kate, it's pretty toasty out there.

Maths - avoiding ITB can be done... run tall (good form, upright), shorten your steps, avoid down hills while your ITB is pinging, stretch your glutes and hams. I have yet to find a really good ITB stretch, but this one does both glutes and ITB.

http://www.exrx.net/StretchImages/GluteusMaximus/LyingGlute.jpg

10,561 to 10,580 of 15,560 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.