Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

10,581 to 10,600 of 13,611 messages
07/10/2013 at 07:24

Morning all - full report when I get to a laptop but in short, horrendous swim, 1.47 which was 27 mins off my mid range target, 6.28 on the bike which I was really pleased with. We had been having thunderstorms since we got here and about two thirds of the way in the heavens openined. At one point I was cycling through ankle deep water, unable to see anything through my glasses, they eventually shut the course as it so dangerous. Run was 4.17, it just felt really good and the only time I wanted to walk was when I took on too much water at an aid station and got a stitch, then walked when I wanted to drink again. I've heard a chap died in the swim which is horrific, there where DNFs everywhere, including some of my group which is sad. The para triathletes were incredible, thsee guys were carried into the water, grinding it out on their hand bikes and wheelchairs, and a chap with one arm was storming the run when I saw him. In short, I'm hooked, and now have a target for 12.15 for next year, but I am never doing a sea swim again!

07/10/2013 at 07:54

well done Kate, sounds like conditions were bad. Always sad to hear of someone dying though

morning everyone

tired and grumpy this morning, my knee starting hurting last night when I was doing some breaststroke, so did the turbo instead of running this morning, couldn't get the fan to work and it is warm!

PSC    pirate
07/10/2013 at 20:08

some sea swims are better than others Kate... Copenhagen is salt water but in a sheltered lagoon.  Sea water is faster I think as you get more bouyancy.  (NB: that might be bollox but I am sure I have heard that somewhere)!

Conditions certainly horrific from what you describe which makes the time all the more special.  12:15 is a big target - mind you, you are only a youngster

Maths, breaststroke is not good on knees - very twisty action in the water.  Lots of bike miles should help you as the quads and calfs will support the knee.

I ran 5 miles this morning in the fog with a head torch on to alert the dopey morning drivers (although I only saw 3) and a sports massage tonight.  Calf muscles tight, but that is because I've been running in the Nike Frees I think.  Otherwise legs in good shape.

07/10/2013 at 20:17

PSC - yeah, I hadn't been doing any breast stroke up until recently because of the knee situation, but as it has been feeling better I have been doing a bit when everyone else is doing it at the masters session. I tend to skip the fly and have recently been skipping the backstroke as I think it was hurting my shoulder! 

going to give running a go in the morning, if it hurts I can always go home and jump on the turbo

08/10/2013 at 04:49

Morning all

Kate, Well done great time , it won't be long before we see you on trans world sport competing against the best. Seriously though  after all the work and effort you deserve it I hope the three of you put as much effort in to celebrating afterwards.

PSC    pirate
08/10/2013 at 06:44
Blimey you're up early Valis!

Resting today....
08/10/2013 at 07:22

Yes valis, very keen. Up early but thought I'd save myself for track tonight. Thanks for all your support everyone, much appreciated. The gloss has been taken off as I learnt that the guy who died in the swim was one of our study group, it's left us shell shocked. Apparently he had a heart attack in the first part of the swim and they couldn't revive him on shore. Really terrible news.

08/10/2013 at 10:29

Foggy in the valleys this morning but clearer once we climbed up onto the ridge - classic temperature inversion. Clear and sunny now so looks like a good day for a swin later in the afternoon.

Spent yesterday in London and sat in on the final day of the John McCririck age discrimination tribunal case. Very interesting, especially as the case is brought against Channel 4 and IMG Media (my employers). Should be interesting to see how it pans out with a decision expected in 2 0r 3 weeks.

Sad news about the death of the Brit at the Ironman. There's been a lot of talk and research done recently regarding deaths amongst older, male triathletes; especially during the swim stage. Quite often it turns out to be an underlying heart condition that's triggered by the combination of cold water, sudden exertion and the sress of mass swim starts. The medical advice for anyone participating in these events is that you should get an ecg or echocardiogram beforehand just to make sure there are no underlying problems. I would also say that it's important to get as much practise as possible swimming in open water similar to that of the event. I was discussing this with my son last night and we both agreed that our first mass start sea swims were pretty scary and brought on a feeling of panic and hyperventilation. We're both much more relaxed now and able to cope with all the thrashing and being swum over etc. 

Having said all that, the fact that the guy who died was one of the study group suggests that his health would have been closely monitored throughout the training period and they would have picked up any potential issues with his heart. 

Kate, I keep meaning to ask, were you given much advice on diet and nutrition during your training and did you take any supplements?

08/10/2013 at 10:36

morning all

Kate - really sad that it was one of your group

stayed in bed this morning to get over yesterday's tiredness, but really could do with some exercise, the stress I am feeling caused by having a 12 year old (almost 13) son is far worse than a mass swim start

in other news, don't know if anyone caught the programme Inside Broadmoor - it was on channel 5 - second part was last night and my youngest son was in it! (not as an inmate - he played the part of the son of a 1950s doctor). I didn't go and watch the filming, and was very impressed with how well he did (I know I am biased)

08/10/2013 at 21:53

Track session tonight, ouch. Chris, we did have ECGs which eliminated a lot of people from the study, but you're right that if something is going to happen it is usually in the swim. Tragic. We were just monitored with nutrition for the first 6 months, then sent off lab samples and had out food diaries analysed, and had supplements of probiotic, fish oil, multi vit, antioxidant complex and B vit with magnesium. I couldn't really tell any difference but should get my next set of comparative results soon. It has made me think more about diet though, I can't lie to myself and pretend my dried fruit addiction is anything other than a load of sugar in a different format! So you're still on paid at home leave at the moment Chris?

08/10/2013 at 22:07

MC, the doctors must have been young in the 50s!

PSC    pirate
09/10/2013 at 07:14

very sad news indeed.  

morning gang...

09/10/2013 at 07:27

Morning all - weights in the garage this morning, upper body and core only though. So, the race report.....

Swim - after rain and thunderstorms this is the bit I was dreading the most. We were set off in 3 minute waves which meant that as soon as you'd settled into a stroke another few hundred men swam over you. The tide had turned so we were swimming against the current the whole way and being pushed to shore, constantly shepherded by the kayaks to move further out to sea. Nothing on the shore line looked like it was moving, and after one particular kick in the face I have to make a point of stopping and shouting 'f**ker' just to make myself feel better. Reached the last buoy on the long straight and didn't bother turning for home until I saw a jet ski pointing me in the right direction. Heaved out of the sea after a 1.47 swim, not happy as I was predicting 1.25/1.30 with the benefit of the tide. No pro style run into T1, just a waddle and some time spent cleaning the sand and gravel off my feet knowing it was a long day ahead. Some electrolyte drink to get rid of the salt and away I went on the bike.

09/10/2013 at 07:36

Bike - the sun was shining now and It felt good to have my least favourite bit out of the way. Saw Mr F and my brother as I exited the swim, and again as I started the bike. The start and finish of the swim were about 0.75 mile apart, with transition at the swim finish, so spectators had a bit of moving round to do. Bike was two large laps of 70K, and one of 40K, a couple of small hills near the turn around but otherwise, flat smooth and closed roads, which was a joy, Aerobars got a good workout, even downhill for the first time, but almost wiped out when I stood up whilst leaning on them. Black clouds were gathering on the horizon, with a few flashes of lightning, then suddenly the thunder rolled and the torrential rain hit about 10K from the last large lap. I couldn't see a thing so had my sunglasses at the end of my nose and very wet eyes. Spanish roads don't drain well and at one point water was over my gears and up to my ankles. The road was eventually closed by police as it was dangerous, so a few people weren't allowed to go out on their final lap and finish the course, including a few of my group. Support on the course was excellent, particularly being female I got a lot of shouts of 'gringa' from the roadside. Support from Mr F and my brother, plus all the University group was amazing, lots of thumbs up, waving, smiling and wobbling from me. Soles of my feet were sore but everything else felt OK, apart from being waterlogged, so gentle spin in to prepare for the run. Bike, 6.26.49.

09/10/2013 at 07:45

Run - into T2 wishing I had packed some dry socks, wrung out the ones I was wearing, loaded up with more gels than I have ever taken and got running. Oh, it felt good, the best bit of the race. Tried to regulate my speed but at that stage my legs wanted to run 9 minute miles so I let them. 4 laps, with the start of the course going through the most well supported part, it was nice to be able to speak to people at this stage and join in with a few high fives and Mexican waves. Past the finish line 3 times on the laps which was motivation to hang on in there. Seeing people broken and throwing up on the course was not so great, but for a change the people walking didn't get to me as much as in a normal marathon. I often think if they're tired, so should I be, but you just tell yourself they're probably on their last lap. My brother ran with me for a little while, but this was just after I had drank too much water and had a stitch so a little bit of walking then I was back in a rhythm again, albeit slower than the start. Saw a load of the group on the run, exchanging a couple of words and a thumbs up was the best it got. Bit of a longer walk on the final lap which I probably didn't need, but the rain was getting to me a bit and I wanted to finish the last 2K strongly. Into the finish area on the red carpet, and the mini marquee at the entrance had collapsed, so comedy hands and knees moment to get through, then blocked over the finish line by the chap with his two kids. Waited my turn and crossed with arms aloft. Run 4.20.01 Overall 12.46.16.

12.45 was my secret, best ever time, and as I made such a hash of the swim I was delighted my run made up for it. Thanks for all the encouragement, advice and support, and onto the next one!

09/10/2013 at 10:22

Great report Kate. You've inspired me to move on from sprint and olympic distances and have a go at an Ironman! Have you decided which one to go for next year?

Three sessions yesterday for me thanks to the ongoing employment dispute with IMG. SOC run in the morning, OW swim sans wetsuit at Frensham followed by hilly rucksack run in the evening. Plus some bench pressing on my new weights bench. Out again this morning with the army fighting skirmishes all over Hankley Common. Thankfully, Rusty isn't bothered by all the gunfire and explosions! Cycle or row or swim later. Or maybe all three!!

09/10/2013 at 10:25

Probably this one so Mr F can do the aqua bike, http://www.trispiritevents.com/events/brett-ashford-triathlon-info/, already entered Vachery Half, and may well slip in Challenge Henley in September.

09/10/2013 at 11:22

Good Morning L&G

Well Kate, what can I say. An amazing effort and a credit to all your efforts in training and the technique to harness all that ability in an event. It won't be long before you have a GB flag on your sleeve. I'll be able to tell people that I used to run with her!

Come on Chris, get a move on we can't have this thread dominated by a lady....

#22 Clarendon Way Marathon

Lovely trail route from Salisbury to Winchester on a beautiful day. 5h and a couple of minutes. No injuries, so more pleased about that than the time. Card is taking a whack with all the entries for the next year......

......78 to go......

09/10/2013 at 16:30

Doing my best 5:30 but she's a hard act to follow!!

ps where's Birky?

09/10/2013 at 18:04

kate - brilliant report and a massive well done

Chris - you'll be brill at ironman too

managed to get out for a run after work yesterday so turboed this morning. Managing to get all the sessions I wanted in this week which is good. Didn't manage to post this morning because I didn't have time at work to read through Kate's report!

10,581 to 10,600 of 13,611 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.