Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

11,281 to 11,300 of 17,266 messages
01/01/2013 at 14:15

you'll be fine - I have always gone to events solo

01/01/2013 at 14:16
Once I've done my first one there will be no stopping me!
01/01/2013 at 14:20

actually, just thinkiing it might be good training for me to do it and cycle there and back - I live in Southwell so could cycle up the route 6 from Farnsfield - wouldn't get a particularly good time in the run but would be good brick training, just have to work out how close it is to the half ironman I am doing and whether it would be too close or not!

PSC    pirate
02/01/2013 at 07:18

morning Team SOC...

A short one done.. first this year!

02/01/2013 at 08:03

Morning all. Oops, alarm set for wrong time this morning so shifting my easy run to this evening

One down PSC, good start to the year

02/01/2013 at 08:40

Morning everyone (and a belated Happy New Year).

Been away from the forums over a very busy Christmas, but I have still ben SOCing during that time (I even managed to hit my 100 mile target for December, which looked precarious after a mid December bout of man flu and a few missed days due to Christmas meals, parties, etc).

Now 2013 is here I've started my training plan for the Reading half marathon, so instead of everything easy (apart from a weekly Parkrun) I've got a combination of easy, LSR, Intervals, Hill Repeats to put myself through between now and March. Tougher still is this green tea that I'm trying for the first time in order to help shift a couple of Christmas KGs!

02/01/2013 at 08:59

morning all

no soc but will be going to the gym later, and the physio

02/01/2013 at 09:54

Morning all - happy new year! Got back from my skiing trip late last night, and my annual break from running, went out this morning and I can say a rest hasn't improved things! Birky, I can sympathise with the lurgy, I've had a chest infection for the last few days, I did think my coughing was going to cause an avalanche, either that or the Christmas and hot cheese weight I've been adding. MK, green tea will get you addicted, you might want to try the flavoured stuff with mint or lemon, I swapped from normal tea years ago and couldn't go back. MC, hope the knee is sorted. Chris, what was the costume in the end? 5.30, I am jealous once again, I have been to Pangkor Laut and it's beautiful. PSC, have you been getting your new presents nice and muddy? Valis, I don't think I'll be doing C2C, I don't think 10 days is enough to recover properly from this chest bug, so tell Mrs v senior not to bother cooking up supplies. JF, good start! Good morning to one and all, I'm starting my new year glamorously with a trip to the laundrette as the washing machine has packed up. Down to earth again.

02/01/2013 at 11:23

How early is "stupid o clock"? After a 2012 which saw me cut back on my mileage and being unable to do many early morning runs on account of plantar fasciitis I decided to start 2013 with a 6am 20miler on NYD - no PF issues - felt very comfortable - very happy! Hopefully I will now be returning to my 6am runs at the weekend (I manage to do the occasional lunchtime run during the working week)

02/01/2013 at 12:42

welcome John, 6am definitely counts as stupid o'clock

02/01/2013 at 14:15

Thank you mathschick. I actually like the early morning runs at the weekend - back before wife and kids are awake - a great way to start the day! My latest marathon 12 week "plan" started yesterday, so I am expecting/hoping to do a lot more early morning running in the weeks ahead!!

PSC    pirate
03/01/2013 at 08:00

8M done and dusted.  T Shirt temp today...

Yep, 6am is defo SOC although some on here are even earlier!  20M on NY day is pretty impressive....  I couldn't do 20mins on NY day! 

Must rush as I'm a bit late - have fun folks!

03/01/2013 at 08:15

Morning everyone,

Only 4 and a bit miles today, but this included intervals. 

At least I think I did Intervals!  I used to try to do some intervals once a week (but haven't done since September), but I was told I wasn't doing it properly.  Used to do a mile warm up, them 30secs at 100% effort (about 5.2min/mile), then 1min recovery jog and repeat x7 - x10 depending on how energetic I felt.  Someone pointed out that in effect this was only about 5 mins of effort so I should really go a bit slower, but for longer.  So today it was 1mile warm up, then 3mins at 6.20min/mile followed by 2mins recovery and repeat 3 times (3 was enough today, but I hope to build that up to 4 then 5 over the coming weeks).

Does that sound right-ish?

John - 20 miles @ SOC, regardless of the day, I am in awe of !  When I was marathon training I couldn't face the long runs until at least 9am!

03/01/2013 at 09:16

Bore da/good morning - 1st midweek 6early morning run today for a very long time, although that was partly due to setting the alarm at 6am instead of 7am. I am going to try and do a few doubles (easy 4-5miles 1st thing, then a harder run at lunchtime) as part of my marathon training - it is something I picked up from the excellent Richard Nerurkar book

lol Martin - I can never seem to do intervals right (even with a Garmin) - I try and keep the intervals as simple as possible - one session I've kind of concocted for training for my next marathon is 5min warm up - 10mins @ target mara pace, 2mins gentle jog before 2 to 5 (2 today - 5 in a month or two) sets of 3 mins @ 10k pace (with 90s-2min recovery), followed by 10mins @ maraton pace (after a few mins recovery) - then gentle warm down back to the car. Actually putting it down that sounds more complicated than I thought, although I don't have many reps to count! I think the idea of the session is that it can easily be done during my lunch hour and that the last 10mins @ marathon pace will hopefully educate my body about dealing with the stresses of fatigue in the latter stages of a marathon

Needs must re getting the long runs early doors - it is very rare for me to do a daytime (light) long run.

03/01/2013 at 09:20

Morning and a Happy New Year

Can't remember if said that before. Lurgy almost gone. Hopefully back out running tomorrow.

John: Welcome

03/01/2013 at 09:22

Right need to catch up now.

03/01/2013 at 09:39

morning

haven't been out yet,but I am still on holiday and will be running with the tri club tonight.

Physio has said to try to increase my cadence as I am probably loping along which puts more pressure on the joints

03/01/2013 at 11:11

Morning all - 6 miles 2 x OR 1 Hovis van this morning. Feeling a bit better than yesterday, but only at 65% so only plodding until I'm sorted out. I think intervals can be anything and any length, best to mix them up so do some all out short ones and then something you can sustain a bit longer.

03/01/2013 at 13:39

Hi all, looks like the SOCers are back and busy for 2013, some rapidly growing lists of sessions. Hi JB, some good miles to kick the new year in.  Kate jealous of anybody going skiing. PSC it's warm here today as well, great day for running.  MC hope your run goes well later. Martin there is a discussion on the P&D thread at the moment about strides/intervals and the pace you should go etc. I don't think there is a right answer especially when you add in hilly areas, windy days, perhaps it is more about perceived effort? Birky hope you are back out there soon.

Ran a treadmill 4 mile at recovery pace last night, the run itself felt hard, just too slow but deliberately using the treadmill to try to get the slow ones at the right pace.  Fortunately I was watching the Wire so at least that releived the boredom.  This morning it was an 8 miler with 4 at HM pace.  Good pace maintained through them but so much easier when you are racing than doing it on your own but my Garmin stats seem to indicate it was about the right pace and heart rate.

04/01/2013 at 04:10
Morning L&G

4 miles this morning and now the flights home beckon.

No more aircon gyms when I return.
Edited: 04/01/2013 at 04:12
11,281 to 11,300 of 17,266 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.