Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

11,441 to 11,460 of 16,838 messages
16/01/2013 at 09:00

Kate when I lived in Germany you could tell when it was really cold, the shops used to sell out of balaclavas especialy kids ones.  Good running on a brrrr morning.

16/01/2013 at 09:04
Just a bit worried I might scare all the ninja cyclists and old ladies!
16/01/2013 at 09:08

I take it back, I now don't think it would have been -4 when I went out (I'd said that based on bbc weather page's forecaste last night); when I got in the car at 7.40 (2hrs after my run started) it was -9.5 and stayed that way until I got nearer work when it changed to a relatively balmy -7.  I'm too scared to even consider what temperature I ran in!

Thanks MC, I'll give the sports centre a call this morning and see what their rules are.  JF50, I did browse for a treadmill recently, I thougth then that there would be no point in buying something cheap (I remember what my mum's £30 excercise bike felt like years ago) and although there looked some good January deals on (£1,000 treadmills for £500 type thing) it's just going to have to wait until I've got a bit more money unfortunetely - ironically, that will be April when I get a bonus and I will probably consider it a waste of money to buy one in Spring / Summer!!

16/01/2013 at 09:44

I used to use a good gym, joint membership for about 4 years with my partner, but she started to get bored with it and hardly use it so we decided to have a go at our garage.  I drylined the walls and put a ceiling in, extended the electrics then bought a good treadmill and exercise bike, few weights, we already had an elliptical cross trainer.  Put a tv and dvd in there, with an old sound system I had, got heaters and fans so all in all it's a good place to work out and I think I probably broke even against gym fees after about 2.5 years.  I only really use it in the winter, my partner hardly ever goes out there!  We have also purchased a good rowing machine which is in the lounge, easier for her to use, I use it more than she does.  I don't think she really likes exercise.

But no excuses for me to sit on my butt

16/01/2013 at 21:39

JF50, very impressed with your garage/gym conversion! I have a pull up bar in the garage and a few free weights but that's about it. Plus a Concept 2 in the conservatory for when I'm feeling masochistic.

Cold run this morning and quite tricky in places where the mud and sand had frozen solid. NW 1 owl

PSC    pirate
17/01/2013 at 06:53
Morning!
17/01/2013 at 08:02

morning

turbo for me this morning

minus 7 here, and very pretty with all the frost on the trees and plants

17/01/2013 at 08:48

Morning,

Another 4 miles out in the frosty, snowy cold this morning, so I'm behind on my 'Reading Half' training plan this week, but it's all I could bare!

JF50, I'm massively jealous of your garage set up, mine is just full of garden equipment, Christmas decorations and dusty golf clubs (old hobby, I was terrible).

17/01/2013 at 08:57

Bore da/good morning. 9th 6am run so far in 2013 this morning. Just above freezing in rural North Wales this morning, although we are bracing ourself for the snow and the likelihood, given our location, of being snowed in for a couple of days. At least I can don my running kit and run the mile or so down to the shops - being a runner does have its advantages!!?

17/01/2013 at 09:19

Morning all - 10 miles with 5 at tempo effort (not pace, too cold and too slow) rewarded with a beautiful sunrise, bloomin cold but I don't check the temperature or I'd never leave the house. Above freezing John, lucky, good consistency. Chris, all the warnings are we're due big snow tomorrow. JF, another one in awe of your gym, I would show it to Mr F but he is not trusted with DIY. Morning PSC, Morning MC, minus 7, ouch. No birky, hope he's not buried under snow.

17/01/2013 at 10:46

Morning all, morning off so took the opportunity to wait for the light sky to appear.  Temperatures here over night have been -10 again so it is really icy everywhere, ran th railway walk and the first bit of it where the dogwalkers use it heavily it was hard work, once past that it was good with footing  fine.  Ran 10 miles so used some quiet roads at the end of it and wouldn't like to drive on them at night, not too bad for running by swapping sides regularly.  Good miles Kate, John and Martin, MC good stuff on the turbo start for the day.

17/01/2013 at 19:36

Evenig

Droped nephew off at Glasgow airport at 5.45 this morning so no SOC for me today.

18/01/2013 at 06:21

Morning

4.5M Steadily done. No real bounce in my legs, felt kinda heavy. Cold, but dry out. No snow yet,

NW: 1 owl, 2 beer kegs, 1 cat, 4 horses,1 cyclist, 1 Grand Prix wannabe, complete idiot who was going far too fast

PSC    pirate
18/01/2013 at 07:30

Morning Birky...  I've stayed in as (a) I've got some work to do (b) I had physio yesterday and want a bit of a break.  My back is getting better but my right knee has flared up again, and, as before, for no obvious reason.  Very odd.  A few days off was probably due anyway and with a 30 miler on Sunday I can call it a mini-taper.  I'm certainly not going to hop onto that bench in the corner!  

Have fun folks, will chat later...

18/01/2013 at 08:02

morning everyone

no soc for me, but if the weather allows me to get to the gym later I will do a treamill run

PSC - good luck for Sunday and take of that knee!

18/01/2013 at 08:36

Morning Birky, PSC and MC, extra layer of snow when I went out the door this morning, only going to my garage and treadmill so no problem.  5 miles recovery, one more episode of The Wire.  16 to fit in at the weekend, hoping the snow along the trail is good and just do some repeats on it in my trail shoes.

Enjoy your weekends.

18/01/2013 at 19:43

Evening

It was exactly zero on car thermometer reading when I was out a few minutes ago.

psc: All the best for Sunday too

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 19:44
18/01/2013 at 22:46
Hi all, it has been a long time since I posted on this... I have finally conquered the 10km, I did it in 1 hour 2 minutes, so I'm quite happy with that. I would like to do another 10km soon but the snow is of putting and I would probably fall on ice.
PSC    pirate
18/01/2013 at 23:03
That's a great time.... Congrats.

Sunday looking a bit iffy as the drive there (60 miles) might be a bit daft in this weather. I might have to do my tax return instead.
Edited: 18/01/2013 at 23:03
PSC    pirate
19/01/2013 at 06:28
Morning! Now, shall I do my tax return today? Nah sod it.

11,441 to 11,460 of 16,838 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.