Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

11,601 to 11,620 of 16,222 messages
02/02/2013 at 11:19

welcome jason

02/02/2013 at 12:37

hello everyone!

never seen the interest in running that early before but can see why you all do it 

just might switch all running to early morning!

02/02/2013 at 13:10
Afternoon all. Out and about at 8am for 20 miler. Ended up doing 21 with a variety of dogs, people getting milk, car and lots of 'walks of shame'. Buzzing
Have a good day all
02/02/2013 at 13:24

Afternoon all - I am shame faced, I drank too much wine last night, slept in until 7am and was too hungover to do my 10K. Took my shiny new bicycle out instead, I need a lot more practice as I am such a wuss going down hills. Good first day in the new job, even though the M25 was rubbish it's still a lot quicker than the train commute. Welcome to SOC Jason. Birky, good to have you back. PSC, you were an early bird this morning. Nice duathlon valis, and good long run Adrian.

PSC    pirate
02/02/2013 at 18:12

wellcome to the darkside Jason.  It will become compulsive.

Yes, I was up a bit early this morning - I think it's partially stress related, but oddly not feeling stressed, perhaps I am coping with it as my mileage is up and I am (touch wood) mostly uninjured at the moment.

Kate, this time of year is a good time to be a wuss.... once it warms up and your tyres start working better then you can start getting your knee down on the corners, but until then I would urge caution.  Practice the following....  look through the corner - importantly look where you want to go, don't look down at the hole/brick/kerb etc.  You will go where you look.  Avoid loose surfaces, anything metal (grates, grills, manhole covers), avoid white lines - all these (when wet) are like ice... and if there is a lingering frost they may still have ice on them!

It's been a good day today...  training all logged on runningfreeonline.com.  2 miles in the pool early on - we were worked hard by the old coach who showed up today then half an hour later, trail shoes on and up into the woods where I got totally and hopelessly lost running along various trails - knee deep in gloopy mud at points, but such fun. 12 miles done at a really comfy pace, all low HR stuff.    Feeling deliciously weary now and can smell a rip snorting chilly pot that is bubbling away on the stove.

Life is pretty damn good......

Adrian, 21 miles is pretty solid running.  Good one!

Maths - how is that knee of yours?  

Right, I am off in search of cider - I think I have earned it.

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 18:13
02/02/2013 at 18:38

PSC - sounds like a great day training, wishing I could do 12 miles getting lost in the woods

my knee is not too bad today but going to baby it for a while and try building up very slowly. did 30 mins walk 2/run 2 on the treadmill which didn't feel as bad as last time - I think I wasn't as much on my toes as the other day, but not heel striking either. Haven't been to look at shoes yet - I am going to see how it goes with the shoes I have which are pretty new before I go looking for new ones. - probably best to get my body used to a new gait then go and try some shoes on and see how they feel 

PSC    pirate
02/02/2013 at 18:57

good plan.

02/02/2013 at 19:52

Good cycling tips PSC. I was out on the bike for the first time this year, trying to avoid pot holes etc. It was cold! Took hot soup and hot chocolate and loads of biscuits to get warmed up again. Now sat in front of a roaring fire listening to music and feeling quite chilled! No cider but might wander down to the pub later for a Guiness or 2.

PSC    pirate
03/02/2013 at 07:07

most of the tips are things you learn (often by experience) from my motorcycling days, but equally applicable to a road bike.  I am sure Valis can throw a few more roadcraft tips into the mix..

Chris Oco wrote (see)

Now sat in front of a roaring fire listening to music and feeling quite chilled!

That conjured up a very strong and clear mental image!

Morning gang... heading of to work for a few hours. 

03/02/2013 at 07:47

morning everyone

off on a triathlon training day today

03/02/2013 at 08:48

Morning

Hopefully start SOCs again tomorrow. Got a cold , again !

03/02/2013 at 08:50

Another long run in the bag (just under 19 this morning) - 9 weeks till the marathon/my next race 

03/02/2013 at 10:16

Good morning all

18 miles this morning a chilly 1c today.

A good score on the watch front

OR-3
NW 1 cat 1 heron 1 squirrel that jumped or fell out of a tree about 3 foot in front of me.4 dog walkers
PW- 4 cars  1-van (admittedly my run took me past two police stations)
DW 1-fox 1 pigeon.

PSC, Very good advise ,the look where you want to go is my number one piece of advise to any one learning to ride a motorbike. people would be surprised at how well you can turn using that information.A couple more that may may not translate to bikes.
1,The life saver, always before any maneuver from overtaking a slower cyclist to moving across the road to prepare for a right hand turn look over your right hand shoulder. Its not called the life saver for nothing.
2 If you find your going wide on a corner 1 look where you want to go and avoid using the front brake or both as this will take you wider still, instead lightly use the rear brake which will help tighten up your turn. I would advise practicing that on a non busy bend and again it work for motorbikes but I have never had to use it on a push bike. so take with a pinch of salt.
3 down hill on cold frosty ,icy days/nights going to fast try to avoid using only the front brake as this forces all of your weight on to the front tyre and increases the chance of locking up the front wheel. instead try using 25% front 75% rear.
Hope these are some help.

John, Good mileage, what marathon is it.

Maths , Hope all goes well.

Kate, I feel shame faced whenever I lift up the wine box to judge how much I drunk the night before. I'm sure they are under filling them.

Birky, Its getting too painful to put into words.

03/02/2013 at 11:44
Morning all -12 miles for me this morning, 3 OR, 1 Hovis van and plenty of dogs, sheep and horses, seemed to get colder later in the run but that might be because I had sweated out my wine blanket. Thanks for the bike advice, I've decided that on the mornings it's not raining I will do an SOC ride for an hour or so to improve a bit every day. Needless to say I will be adopting the Christmas tree dress code rather than ninja cyclist. Swim and gym this afternoon. PSC, work on a Sunday, no fun? Chris, I hope the pub was open this time. John and valis, more good long running. MC, have fun, I will add my two penneth on the foot strike stuff later. Birky, hope you feel better.
03/02/2013 at 16:29

Hello everyone, hope all your weekends are goign well (mine's great after that Spurs away win!!!).

Did 10 miles today.  The original intention was to do 12, but

a)  it was so cold and windy,

b) I think the 2-3 weeks of snow and holiday disruption have taken their toll on me, as has

c) I've possiby over done it a little bit trying to catch up on b), with 2.5miles Fartlek on Tuesday, 5.2miles Thursday and again on Friday, then 8 miles on the bike (first time on the bike since October) on Saturday, in really windy conditions.

Will try a recovery run tomorrow (pledging that here will inspire me to drag my backside out of bed!), then have a well earned rest day on Tuesday.

Did I mention Spurs won???? 

03/02/2013 at 17:21
Unfortunately yes ,putting aside my dislike though a good win though.
Sure your soon be back in to the swing of things running wise.
PSC    pirate
03/02/2013 at 17:52

yep, the lifesaver is a good one.... always check over your right shoulder to see who is there before changing  your line.  Another is to try and keep the bike as upright as possible while we have these slippy roads.  When you turn get your weight onto the outer pedal this settles the bike down.  Don't brake when the bike is leant over, if you have to then as Valis said, back brake of 75:25 back:front (that takes practice)!!

Sounds daft, but anticipate the slide... then if it happens it won't be a complete surprise!  Do the same in a car.... I often think ... "if I skid here what would I do?"

Its been a long day!  Shattered now. 

PSC    pirate
03/02/2013 at 17:52

what is this spurs thing?  ;)

I should add that I know the square root of F all about football!!! 

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 17:53
03/02/2013 at 18:35

Kate - would love to hear your opinion of the footstrike thing!

04/02/2013 at 05:59

Morning - no SOC run according to the training plan and too wet and windy to take the bike out at 5am so it's going to be a very early start in the office instead. MC, I think the key is to change other aspects of your running to allow the forefoot to strike naturally, so try and incline your bodyweight forwards, not bending from the hips but leaning from your hips, and your feet will automatically move faster as they are falling with gravity. Try and keep your head forward too, just by looking at the ground a little way ahead of you, rather than bird watching which is what I tend to do. Think about leading your stride with your knees, imagine running through long grass, this means you are not overstriding, as soon as you reach with your heel you will land on your heel. If you feel yourself heel striking stop and jog on the spot to get the feeling of being on the forefoot again, it's hard to land on your heels while your doing this. See if that helps!

11,601 to 11,620 of 16,222 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.