Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

11,841 to 11,860 of 16,238 messages
27/02/2013 at 09:26
5.30am wrote (see)

JF50, "lactate threshold pace"

I think that's where I'm going wrong.

5.30am, no I think it's me that's going wrong, or mad, way too fast for that time of the morning, but I'm a stickler for a programme.

27/02/2013 at 13:06

I have a question for you all today (no running for me at the moment so have nothing exciting to say!) - do you all race throughout the year?  Is it halfs and marathons or just whatever you fancy?  What do you do the rets of the time?

If  I can make it through this marathon in April I want to keep it up and do another one but what's the 'training plan' in between races?  Just run what you feel like doing and when you feel like it?

27/02/2013 at 13:27

Dobster most of the people on this thread are quite crazy.  First off getting up at any hour to run, bike, swim, throw weights around etc.  Then lots of them think nothing of signing up for all sorts of ultra crazy events.  Fortunately I have only got early stages with the early rising

I normally run 30 to 40 miles most weeks for fitness and then throw in half a dozen races in a year, normally my favoured distance of HM.  I keepto a sort of routine and then harden it if I have a race coming in the next couple of months.  By staying at HM fitness level it's easy to hop back into a tougher schedule.

Oh and they all record nature sightings, dead nature sightings, bread deliveries across the country and the transfer of Germans round Scotland.

Yep fairly crazy

27/02/2013 at 16:41

Dobster, JF has us sussed out to a t.

27/02/2013 at 17:26

27/02/2013 at 19:53

I must admit I am looking forward to getting this bloody marathon out the way so I can just run when and where and for how long I want to!!! 

Haven't seen any bread delivery vans yet but did have a dream that I saw one so I could post about it, how weird is that??!!  ha ha! 

If you stay HM fit, can you just run a race when you fancy it?  Does anyone stay marathon fit?

27/02/2013 at 21:21

dobster:What kind of bread delivery van was it ?

27/02/2013 at 21:31

Hovis, don't ask me why!!!

27/02/2013 at 21:39

Dobster: Cue that Hovis tune in my head now

28/02/2013 at 06:11

Morning and foggy again.

4M Steadily done

NW: Kinda hard in the fog, but 1 owl, 1 Kingsmill Van, 3 BMWs, 2 horses.

28/02/2013 at 06:20

Good morning all

6 miles this morning,a crisp clear morning here.

NW 2 Cats

Morning Birky not so bad last night.

Dobster, I try to enter races all year round , whatever I fancy from 10k up. I think once you have a regular mileage per week/month then its easy to be race fit, However depending on how well you want to do in any forth coming event and what distance it is will determine what direction your runs take eg:just doing your regular mileage or adding in intervals , hill training or back to back runs.

For marathon fit see Kate f and others here.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 06:20
28/02/2013 at 06:23

Mornig valis: Yeah agreed, not a brilliant performance by all accounts. I'd have taken 2-0 before kick off.

28/02/2013 at 07:05

Just seen my name added to the race list of entrants for the Abingdon Marathon ,just made it in by the skin of my teeth on a postal application as online entries were closed.

KateF
2 Feb - Richmond Park 10K
17 Feb - Bramley 20 mile
3 March - Surrey Spitfire 20 mile
16 March - Aquathlon
24 March - Cranleigh 21 mile
14 April - Brighton marathon
5 May - North Dorset Marathon
18 May - Godalming Town 10K
8 June - South Downs marathon
25 June - Giants Head Marathon June & July - Aqauthlon
21 July - Vachery half ironman October - Challenge Barcelona ironman October - Snowdonia Marathon

Chris
10 Feb - Punchbowl Marathon
2 March - Ballbuster
9 March - Para 10
17 March - Fleet Half Marathon
24 March - Leith Hill Half Marathon
8 June - Blenheim Triathlon
22 June - Mid Summer Munro
6 July - South Coast Triathlon
20 July - Fandance October - Snowdonia Marathon (number 8!!)

Valis
14th April - Brighton Marathon
5th may - Richmond Marathon
28th July - Down tow up flow half Marathon
10th August - North Downs 100
20th October- Abingdon Marathon

Johnf

17th March - Colchester Half Marathon
21st April - VLM

PSC

10th Feb - Punchbowl 30
24 Feb - Hell of Ashdown (cyclosportif)
10 Mar - Lydd 1/2 mara (maybe)
24 Mar - 7Oaks Circular (cyclosportif)
7 Apr - LDWA South Downs Mara
6 May - San Fairy Ann (Cyclosportif)
19 May - Castles 100 (Cyclosportif)
2 May - King of the Downs (Cyclosportif)
9 Jun - South Downs Mara
7 July - OUTLAW
8 July onwards - Cidre/PS3/Cake/Chocolate/the odd joggette!!!

28/02/2013 at 07:27
As I've said before don't mistake quantity for quality (of running)..

These are all marathons.

Feb - Heartbreaker
Mar - Steyning Stinger, New Forest 50k, Sussex Coastal
Apr - Sussex?
May - Three Forts
Jun - South Downs
Jul - Chichester Challenge
Aug - Thames Meander
Sept - Bacchus, Farnham, New Forest
Oct - IOW, Greensands, Beachy Head
Dec - Portsmouth
28/02/2013 at 07:32

Morning all - 5 miles for me this morning, and it must be fox week as I saw another one. Dobster, as valis says you can stay fit enough but it depends how you want to perform, last year I plodded round a lot of marathons and a bit further, the year before I did less and got a PB so it depends on your motivation really. I struggle to do any tempo pace on my own, and am terrible at taking drinks out with me so I use a lot of races as training runs. If only they would do them at SOC. Felling chuffed with myself this morning as I swam 2.8K last night, and even though it didn't feel good I am speeding up. 5.30, we will be seeing quite a lot of each other again this year I suspect.

PSC    pirate
28/02/2013 at 08:01

Dobster... I mostly run the events that appeal (whatever the distance) which is why I signed up on the day last weekend for a trail marathon.  It seems like a better thing to be doing on a cold winter day than cycling for 6 hours. OFten it's the name or location or (low) price that appeals... there is really no logic to it, but I do tend to do something throughout the year.  November/December get a bit quieter perhaps.  That said, after my Ironman I will probably take a month off, get fat and drink too much!

I do concede that JF has kind of rammed us all neatly into a pigeon hold (correctly)!

8 miles done and dusted this morning.

It is fox week.  I ran past one today him on the left of the road, me on the right!  Just stood there bold as brass - and when I say road, I am talking a 6 foot wide country lane!!

28/02/2013 at 08:56

Morning all, out of the door at 5am for a 12 mile medium long run. First run for a time that has felt really tough, I guess on the back of 11 miles yesterday and it is the heavy mileage phase of my programme it could be expected.  Still very dark so a loop of the town first, shetland ponies seemed to have disappeared this week, before heading out on the railway walk.  Apart from being  the alarm clock for a load of rooks and pigeons no other NW.  It was light enough to switch off the headtorch on the way back.

Dobster the replies above and the race listing gives you a good idea of what can happen to you without personal discipline

PS no bread delivery van seen though Anglian Food supplies were dropping off at the Kings Head, oh how I could have killed a pint

28/02/2013 at 09:36

morning

still nothing for me as the cold is really lasting and making me feel rubbish

I ought to add all my stuff to the events list

got a date for my mri - a week on Sunday at 7 at night!! weird but at least I don't have to take any time off work, but I will miss my club swim.

28/02/2013 at 10:03

Good Morning L&G

MC, good luck with the mri. Let's hope it pinpoints the problem.

JF50, some great preparation for your races. I did the Colchester half last year. The first couple of miles are downhill, but there's a nasty hill on the High Street. I also remember it being very cold and the lack of indoor facilities at the Stadium.

Kate - "plodded" eh?

28/02/2013 at 10:30

5.30 I ran the Colchester half the first year they did it but it didn't go in the town then.  I only live a few miles away so know Colchester and just about any approach to the High Street will have a steep hill so expecting that.  I will probably add a few miles at the end of it to make up the mileage on my programme and then just dash home in the car.  Football stadiums are actually quite bleak unless they are full of supporters.

11,841 to 11,860 of 16,238 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.