Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

21 to 40 of 17,057 messages
18/06/2010 at 14:03

5:40 five mornings a week for pool or run plus a couple of evening runs at the weekend.

morning runs on empty stomach but i do now bring water on 8 miles or more.

18/06/2010 at 14:23
Many times, i love getting up when it's all fresh and no ones around, seem to have calmer runs this time of day. Have been known to get up and get swimming at this time as well but seeing as I'm not the only one with that idea it does tend to get busy in the pool believe it or not.
18/06/2010 at 14:33

I don't eat either before an early morning but then don't eat before any run as I get stitches too easily.

I agree, what you eat for dinner the night before should see you through. I do try to keep myself hydrated through the night though & and also keep a Lucozade next to the bed if I'm planning a longer run.

18/06/2010 at 14:34

getting up at 4am and getting a 5am train to London!? What is it, a 2-3hour commute then?! There's got to be a time where you've completely exceeded the work life balance, and I think 4-6hours of commuting must smash through that point!!

I live a couple of miles from work and still struggle to run mornings. I find lunch and evenings suit, as long as the evening run is done straight away when home, say, 5:30.

Having said this I often get up at 6am on a sunday to get out and run up to 16miles at 7am!

Now that feels like commitment!

18/06/2010 at 14:40
I need to be back in the house by 7am for when the kids wake up so itdepends on how far I need to run as to when I get up.
For long runs I might have a banana depending on how I feel, but usually I just eat well the night before.Sometimes I have a coffee if I'm feeling a bit sluggish but usually juice or squash.
I find running in the evening a lot harder work than running in the morning. Probably something to do with me having eaten a donner kebab and smoked 10 fags.
18/06/2010 at 14:50

My body seems to work to a fairly simple rule of decreasing physical activity as the day wears on.  I get up at 5:00 for a 5:30 run which is brill this time of year, yeah it sucks in the winter, but I tend to use my treadmill then, as there are no street lights or pavement where i am, so it's not too bad.  gradually through the day I do less and less until finally its bed time .  I've tried running later in the day, but i can't seem to get it together the same as I can in the morning.

18/06/2010 at 14:52
I run between 5:30- 7 now but used to run 3 am when did some work for a bakery-now that's stupid o'clock
18/06/2010 at 14:53
3am? What's that?
18/06/2010 at 14:56
middle of bliddy night K8
18/06/2010 at 14:56

Like Corinithian, I have to leave at least 3 hrs between eating and running otherwise it's .

So, early morning start for me, I never eat or drink beforehand as I can't - I've got used to it and doing it that way suits me.  Weekdays,  I have to be back by 6.30am, so work my schedule accordingly.  Sundays, I'm always out at 6.30am, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get back in time, so at least I get an extra hour lie-in .

18/06/2010 at 14:57

I do find evening runs a lot harder to fit in there always seems to be so many distractions & people demanding your time -after my morning run I normally get back in the house about 7 by which time husband has made breakfast for the kids & he leaves for work about 7.30.  The morning has to be timed precisely & can be pretty hectic  but I always feel much better during  the day knowing that I have done my run I couldnt do it without hubbys help - am usually knackered at end of the day though & boy can I sleep I am normally in bed by 9.30 !!!

OMG just painted a great picture of what my hubby has to put up with!!

18/06/2010 at 14:58
WOW now 3 am is STUPID O CLOCK !!
18/06/2010 at 14:59

I'm another member of the 5:30am club...

However, I have done a couple of evening, (after work - 6pm) runs recently and really noticed the traffic, dog-walkers, chavs, noise, heat etc...

MUCH prefer the morning sessions for all the reasons given by others!

I'm normally heading for bed around 9pm though... Unless it's the weekend when I'll probably have a snooze in the afternoon to recharge my batteries

18/06/2010 at 15:04
Frosty, sunny mornings are the best.
18/06/2010 at 15:08
Christie, 9.30pm. That's a late night for me.;-)
18/06/2010 at 15:59
Mikey - I'm the same, the further on in the day the less my body wants to do. Best to get the most physical thing sorted early then I can slump at my desk for the rest of the day.
18/06/2010 at 16:11
In my house, I tend to fall asleep on the sofa in the evening to be woken by the off-spring "Time for bed, Mum"
18/06/2010 at 16:21
Up at 4 and out the door by 4:30 to work. Easy
18/06/2010 at 16:33
What time do you finish work though Postie?!
18/06/2010 at 16:36

Trouble is working in London the poor work life balance is normal here.  You don';t realise it is unusual.

Door to door, the commute is 1hr .40mins.  Get in office for 7.30am in order that I can make sure I get out the door at 5pm otherwise there is no evening left.

Being a girl I hate running lunchtimes as it is so much faff getting changed, showered, hair and make-up so thats not an option.  I am not one of those lucky women who just end up midely glowing.  me, I'm a drowed rat.

Rather run in the evening and have treadmill at home so I can jump straight on that while hubby cooks tea.  Not ideal but better than nothing.

21 to 40 of 17,057 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.