Who hasn't voted in the ASICS Target 26.2 yet then?

Who ARE you going to vote for? If anyone?

1 to 20 of 153 messages
11/12/2011 at 18:48

Time is ticking!

Just over 41 hours until voting closes....

We've all put our begging threads up, contributed to other discussions, and tried to portray ourselves as best we can... but if you haven't voted yet, tell us why, and we can tell you why you should have, and who you should have voted for!

And if you're utterly bored with The ASICS 19, er, sorry!

M...eldy    pirate
11/12/2011 at 18:56
I switched off on day one I am afraid ...

It all got a bit much and the forum was drowned in 'vote for me' threads so I didnt read any of them

I will vote but it will not be off the back of any threads    
11/12/2011 at 18:57

So what WILL it be off the back of then? Just wondering, like....

11/12/2011 at 19:04
I would have hoped that folks would have simply read the profiles on the voting pages and used that.
11/12/2011 at 19:08
I voted for Knight Rider as he's "from around here", but the carpetbaggers and the arrivistes can do one.
11/12/2011 at 19:51
But aren't "arrivistes" welcome? They might stay, whether successful or not....
11/12/2011 at 20:12
Simon Pryde wrote (see)
But aren't "arrivistes" welcome? They might stay, whether successful or not....

History tends to show that most don't - even some of the winners - and it seems to get worse each year.

Hence the cynicism.  And the lack of posts on the "vote for me threads".

Anyhow, normal service will be resumed shortly.

11/12/2011 at 20:35
I'm with M...eldy.....switched off ages ago.  I haven't got a clue what it's about and I don't want to.  Can't stand begging of any description, particularly from people who think a few banged out words are going to impress me in the slightest!!
11/12/2011 at 20:55

I have voted for one person, who contibutes regularly and has done for a while, and seems like a serious runner who will give it a fair go, and whose target looks possible based on current performance

But I'm a bit worried, because if they do get through, the Curse will probably take them like it has most other winners.

11/12/2011 at 21:09

I went with the profiles and voted from there, despite my pure jealousy of not getting through

Best of luck to everyone, I hope it will be a great success and the competition will run again next year

11/12/2011 at 21:10

I can understand that point of view. Many of us, it seems, are "casual" users of these Forums (I've been coming on for a couple of years since I started running seriously)... rarely posting, until now, when there's something in it for us! But as most of us are competitive, that's the way it's working. However, I'm convinced the process will bring people in who'll stay and contribute something positive. I've been posting on several threads, just because I'm here more at them moment - and whilst that will lapse a bit when this process is over (it will for most of us, I suspect), I'm sure I'll still be back more often afterwards....

It would make my day if Polly-Polly voted for me!!

M...eldy    pirate
11/12/2011 at 21:17
Simon I remain unconvinced that the process will bring in people who will stay and contribute because very few have  

I do also understand that this process is a vehicle for RW to get more people in through the doors and it is not there for us regulars to be given a jolly and some nice toys to play with ....    it would be nice to include a 'regulars' category
11/12/2011 at 21:18
Simon Pryde wrote (see)

I've been posting on several threads, just because I'm here more at them moment - and whilst that will lapse a bit when this process is over (it will for most of us, I suspect),

That's the difference between "you lot" and "us lot" - we think it's worth being around for more than just the chance to win.

And I suspect that quite a few would far rather be an FS winner than a SS winner (or whatever they're called nowadays).

11/12/2011 at 21:41

I'm just being honest. Basically, there are always going to be "casual" users of the Forum.... surely they are important too? My process is roughly: "Casual User... to Intensive User... to Somewhere in between user".

Surely a few people getting a bit more involved is a good thing, even if others disappear completely?

I think M...eldy's "Regulars" category is an excellent idea for next year... maybe even TWO categories for regulars?

11/12/2011 at 21:51

I take your point but being a casual user - which I'm unconvinced by (the London SS comp used to have hundreds of 1 post entrants)  - and then asking said people to tout themselves around the forum asking for support is not going to win many fans with people who have been here for a while...

...and posting in long established threads with "vote for me" posts is a bit pukesome tbh, and bound tyo get people's backs up.

RW really need to re-think the whole super six concept, particularly given the above "ishoos", and The Curse.

Just sayin...

11/12/2011 at 22:08

Pretty interesting reading from both sides. Agree it must be pretty annoying for established forum users, but getting people to register before voting must really boost RW user numbers, which is surely a good thing? Even if the majority disappear, surely some if some new users stay that's a benefit?

So what do people think would be a better way of doing it then? I can't imagine how they go about choosing in the first place.  Just have RW pick the winners and get rid of the vote touting bit?

Be interesting to hear what people think

11/12/2011 at 22:26
Simon Pryde wrote (see)

It would make my day if Polly-Polly voted for me!!

EPIC FAIL !!!

Either you didn't read or understand my post or you chose to ignore what I'd written. 

12/12/2011 at 08:21
Half_Pint wrote (see)

.but getting people to register before voting must really boost RW user numbers, which is surely a good thing?

A good thing for the RW business profile for sure!

Lets remember its not the candidates who put themselves in this position.  They are told they need votes so of course they are going to tout around.  I'm sure if they looked beyond the competition they would see how much information and experience is shared here, but you're right most don't.

If you are serious (and realistic) about a target, pb etc you don't need to win a competition to achieve it.  You just need to stick in, work hard and take advice and criticism over your training where necessary. 

So good luck to all the shortlisted but if you don't win it doesn't mean you cant achieve. 

12/12/2011 at 08:35
Agree with Jeepers, Meldy, Polly-Polly et al

It's the equivalent of a stranger walking into a party where everyone knows each other and shouting, "Hey everyone look at me, look at me!"

If you did that in real life you wouldn't be very popular so why would you think it would be any different here?

Join, chat, get to know a few people and then put yourself forward - people will be much more likely to vote for you then.
12/12/2011 at 09:08
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. Tho to respond to HP's point about new users,I don't think the forum suffers from lack of new blood. Even when there isn't something specific happening in the running calendar we tend to average a couple of newbies everyday. Some stay, but in the main most don't. They get want they want, be it advice on an injury (see a physio) or the most appropriate running shoe (go to a running shop), how to train for VLM or, come early April, does anyone have a place for VLM they're not using...

So the point I'm making is an influx of newbies wanting something is not new round these parts. The super six is quite uniquely annoying tho for the sheer number of "look at meeeee, look at meeee" threads.

I won't be voting. I don't know enough about any of the candidates. I'm sure they're all very worthy in their own way but I don't feel my opinion of any of them should determine whether or not they get marathon coaching. It won't impact on me, so don't feel compelled to vote. Plus, as mentioned, I'm annoyed by the begging threads, which would be a factor in how I voted, so probably best not to vote at all.
1 to 20 of 153 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.